Water heater bypass valve leaking

f250dieseldad

Finally found the mystery leak. The plastic bypass valve is cracked. Does anyone know where I can get a brass one. I used some shark bite fittings to eliminate the valve for now. But I will need a new one before it is time to winterize. Thanks

Garypowell

This is the second post today where it echoes exactly what I have just gone through. And you initially did the same thing I did as a temp fix.

Camping world has has a brass valve on sale. I got one after some thought. I had initially thought I would go with my temp solution. After all we spend the winter in Florida. But I finally reasoned that sometime we might need to winterized mid trip. And maybe to have it original condition.

The problem is this camping world valve does not to seem to have a long enough stem to work with the UDC wall.

I am am leaving for Charleston tomorrow and will look at it better then.

jnbhobe

Finally found the mystery leak. The plastic bypass valve is cracked. Does anyone know where I can get a brass one. I used some shark bite fittings to eliminate the valve for now. But I will need a new one before it is time to winterize. Thanks

John, I think I may have one in the trailer if you don't find one, I know I have a plastic one.

olcoon

A few years ago on the way to TX, when I went to de-winterize, one of the valves came apart in my hand. Not the whole thing, just the lever you turn. I was lucky, as there was either a Lowe's or Home Depot near & went there & got what I needed. I replaced all of them while I was "playing", & they are still working fine.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Just FYI, my 2015 Landmark came with the brass fitting and check valve on the Water Heater. I purchased the brass Camco check-valve and fitting and went to install it today and it came with Brass. When did they go back to Brass (not that I am complaining)?

Rod Ditrich

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just FYI, my 2015 Landmark came with the brass fitting and check valve on the Water Heater. I purchased the brass Camco check-valve and fitting and went to install it today and it came with Brass. When did they go back to Brass (not that I am complaining)?

Rod Ditrich

I seem to recall JimB saying sometime this spring they finally found a vendor that could supply a brass check valve that met the California code for lead-free plumbing fixtures.

sengli

I had that same mystery leak too. Same outcome, one of the three legs of my plastic bypass valve was cracked. It honestly looked like one of the fittings had been over tightened when it was installed. Called heartland and ordered another B&B valve to replace the original one. Your going to need your pex tool, to replace that item. There are alot of connections to that valve in a small space. I also ordered all brass version, as a additonal backup as well off of amazon.

Last edited:

jbeletti

Rod Ditrich

Rod - I think it's been a couple years now.