Water Heater Question

Winterized my new Mallard M29 about three weeks ago. Well it looks like i am going to be using it over Thanksgiving weekend. My water heater has the nylon plug instead of a anode rod. My question is, can i install a water heater drain valve? It is made by Camco. It looks like a brass plug with what resembles a wing nut. When you get ready to drain, just screw wing type nut counter clockwise and water heater drains. Has anybody used these? Saves removing plug every time. RV dealer told me that my tank has a lining, so this would not hurt anything. Just looking for advice. If this has been discussed before, i apologize.

mlpeloquin

So long as the plug is BRASS not a problem. Do to the valve being smaller diameter than the diameter of the plug, it will not drain out as much as having the entire plug removed. To speed up the draining of the water heater lift the safety over pressure valve arm. This would allow air to get behind water and drain it faster.

wdk450

Winterized my new Mallard M29 about three weeks ago. Well it looks like i am going to be using it over Thanksgiving weekend. My water heater has the nylon plug instead of a anode rod. My question is, can i install a water heater drain valve? It is made by Camco. It looks like a brass plug with what resembles a wing nut. When you get ready to drain, just screw wing type nut counter clockwise and water heater drains. Has anybody used these? Saves removing plug every time. RV dealer told me that my tank has a lining, so this would not hurt anything. Just looking for advice. If this has been discussed before, i apologize.

I don't believe this type of drain plug will allow the use of a water heater flusher, which gets out off the sand/pebble sized residues at the bottom of the tank.
water heater flusher.jpg

mlpeloquin

I don't flush the water heater but once a year, but use a water softener, whole house filter, carbon filter, and UV light sterilizer. We go out at least once a month. So unscrew it and flush once or twice a year and put it back in.