Water Heater Thermostat

HornedToad

Last fall my camping buddy had a blowout in his Sundance 3400QB that required the furnace and water heater be replaced. He said now it seems the water does not get as hot as before.

On a residential water heater I'm use to just turning up the dial to raise the temperature. On an Atwood RV water heater I'm not sure if you can adjust / replace the thermostat to a higher temperature?

I found several replacement thermostats on eBay, some marked 120 degrees and others 140 degrees, however, I watched a You Tube how-to video on RV thermostat replacement and it seemed from the narrators comments you should only replace with the same degree thermostat. Couldn't find a specific answer in the Water Heater Troubleshooting Guide on the forum.

Can you adjust or change out the thermostat on an Atwood RV water heater to a higher temperature setting?

danemayer

Before trying to fix the water heater, they should check the other common causes: outside shower faucets may be ON, mixing hot and cold, Water Heater Bypass may be partially ON, mixing hot and cold.

Atwood says:

an adjustable thermostat may be purchased allowing the water temperatures to be adjusted
from 110 - 150° F. It fits in place of the original thermostat.

This may be the correct part, but your friend should doublecheck before ordering. A call to Atwood might help.

HornedToad

My friend should get on the forum.

Last week on his first trip out he had no hot water and I told him over the phone how to check the bypass.
Forgot about the shower? Even though I've read it here half a dozen times!!!
If that doesn,t work he can look into the adjustable thermostat.

Thanks Dan.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Don't know about Atwood's, but last summer when my 12V thermostat (130F) wasn't working, I could only get a 140F one from a local RV dealer. I called Suburban about it and was told it would be fine, the water would just get a little hotter if running on propane vs. electric. If using both, the propane would continue to heat to the higher temp.

Although we spend the season on a FHU site, I like to keep the propane systems functional just in case there is a power failure. That includes keeping some water in the fresh water tank so we don't have to hike to the "facilities."

HornedToad

Last week on his first trip out he had no hot water and I told him over the phone how to check the bypass.
Forgot about the shower? Even though I've read it here half a dozen times!!!

After reading the moderators post we rechecked the shower handles & bypass.

I didn't do a very good job of explaining how to switch the valves over the phone. He went from no water to luke warm when he open the in/out but didn't close the bypass.

Can't blame him for missing it, he got it back from the dealer without a handle on the bypass valve. We used one of the other handles to close the bypass... voila, hot water!!!

Attachments

• Bypass.jpg
    Bypass.jpg
    503.9 KB · Views: 36