Water leak aftermath - how to prevent rot?

deonb

I installed a washer in my new RW427 and it looks like between Heartland and the dealer they didn't check the washer drain outlet - it was leaking due to the p-trap below the washer drain that wasn't fastened correctly (was screwed in at an angle so the threads didn't catch properly). I fixed the problem, but now what's next?

The water mostly spilled into the hookup cabinet as well as the garage floor, and drained out over the rear tire. Is there any material in the garage floor that can rot? Does it have natural drainage? The floor looks metal-ish at the top, but I don't know what's underneath it.

I've obviously dried as much as I could physically reach while the cabinet access panel is still open. Is there anything else I can do to prevent more damage? (e.g. What's better - air it out at high heat but high humidity (Dallas)? Or run the A/C? Put in an external fan? Put in a desiccant in the cabinet?)

Lynn1130

If you are still under warranty you might want to call Heartland Customer Service and speak with them about this. Fixing it yourself and then having problems months down the line could lead to a warranty rejection with any later issues.

deonb

If you are still under warranty you might want to call Heartland Customer Service and speak with them about this. Fixing it yourself and then having problems months down the line could lead to a warranty rejection with any later issues.

I will, if only to let them know about the date, but tightening a screw on a loose pipe can lead to a warranty issue down the line? Isn't Heartland famous for sending parts to customers to install/fix themselves while under warranty?

mlpeloquin

I will, if only to let them know about the date, but tightening a screw on a loose pipe can lead to a warranty issue down the line? Isn't Heartland famous for sending parts to customers to install/fix themselves while under warranty?

All manufactures seem to have a few issues. Many a lot more than Heartland. When it happens to you, it doesn't seem trivial. When I installed mine, I checked it for a second time. I did not trust the plastic cap that sealed the drain pipe to block the sewer gases, so I added water every time we went out and when we put it into storage. So I had checked the drain connections prior to adding water to the trap for the first time. As far a drying out, you could get/rent a dehumidifier and run a fan in the washer cabinet. Water seeks the lowest level. Now what is under the garage floor is most likely a plywood subfloor. You can call Heartland and ask. Have your VIN number at the ready.

Lynn1130

I am not talking about tightening a clamp. I am talking about moisture that causes problems with wood, and structures below the leak. If you repair the leak and have issues later with moisture damage, mildew, and/or mold you might be footing the bill for repairs on your own.

deonb

I am not talking about tightening a clamp. I am talking about moisture that causes problems with wood, and structures below the leak. If you repair the leak and have issues later with moisture damage, mildew, and/or mold you might be footing the bill for repairs on your own.

Ahh, yes. Thanks. This is exactly what I want to do - inform Heartland that there was a leak in hidden plumbing.

I took a YouTube video of the leak but I really also want to make a preemptive "FYI - I repaired your pipe and dried everything, but if the floor rots later due to it then this is your doing" phonecall or email to them. Is there a specific contact for that, or do I just call support in general?

danemayer

Ahh, yes. Thanks. This is exactly what I want to do - inform Heartland that there was a leak in hidden plumbing.

I took a YouTube video of the leak but I really also want to make a preemptive "FYI - I repaired your pipe and dried everything, but if the floor rots later due to it then this is your doing" phonecall or email to them. Is there a specific contact for that, or do I just call support in general?

Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Let them know you had quite a bit of water leak out of the washer due to the cross-threaded p-trap. Let them know that you've fixed it, but are concerned about the possibility of water damage showing up in the future and ask for suggestions on anything you might do now to prevent damage. Ask how it would be handled if water damage shows up 6 months down the road. Finally, ask them to log the conversation into their record for your VIN # so that if there's a problem in the future, they'll have the notes on your conversation.

You should keep a record of time / date / name of person who took the call / and main points of the discussion.

"FYI - I repaired your pipe and dried everything, but if the floor rots later due to it then this is your doing"

Yes, that's the point of calling, but you may find it helpful to ask the question about future hypothetical repairs and let them answer. Allow them to say that it'll be covered, or gently guide them to that answer. Ask them to add that promise to their notes. Better that they say it than you saying it.

donr827

Good to put a water alarm at the places most leaks occur. I had one at the water heater, under sinks, bathroom toilet, etc. Mine ran off AAA batteries and do not cost much. I believe that mine was called a Water Frog. The water at the water heater went off one time and I found a small drip coming from a fitting.
Don