Water leak from bedroom slideout

JMildfelt

I have a water leak into the storage compartment when it rains. Seems like it is coming from the bedroom slideout and dripping into the storage compartment when ever it rains or when snow melts. Has anyone had the bedroom slide out rollers leak from the screw not being sealed with and sealer? Is there anyway that someone can seal the base of the rollers without any major dismantling of the bedroom slideout. It only leaks when there is standing water it that area. No help from the local repair shop. And the rig is still under warranty. Any advise or help is welcome. //heartlandowners.org/images/smilies/confused.png

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It would help if we knew what floor plan you have.
I am a little confused as to what area you are seeing water standing.
Looking at the bottom of the slide on my particular floor plan, the water would have to flow up hill to enter the basement.
Your leak may not be from the slide area.
Does this happen when the slide is in or out?
And exactly where do you see the water in the storage compartment?
It never hurts to seal up any area that you think may provide a path for water.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Hi JMildfelt,

If you have water in the storage compartment, I'm not sure how likely it is that it would be coming from the bedroom slideout. The cargo door itself should have a rubber bubble seal all the way around that keeps water from getting in through the door. If water was getting in around the sides or bottom of the slideout, I'm not there's a direct path to the storage compartment floor. Seems like there's a lot of top and side material sealing the cargo area.
It only leaks when there is standing water it that area.
Not sure what area you're referring to where you see standing water. Can you clarify?

What did you ask the dealer to do and what exactly did he tell you?

JMildfelt

I have double check my door seal and it is doing it's job. When it is leaking you can see the water trail on the inside coming down some metal trim on the inside of the storage door area. I have sprayed water directly on the door its self to make sure the door seal was not the problem. It leaks only when water runs down from the top of the rig. My model is 3455RL. My slide is extended out. Have not tried to find the leak or have noticed when the slide is in. I guess that is the next step and would isolate if the side out is the problem. What makes it harder is that I can not do any work to find the leak on the top because I am disabled.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Is there a way to take some pics of this and post, maybe if someone saw it visually, they could give you tips on where to look/seal.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Just spraying water at something will never find the leak. You have start in the suspect area and run water up from below the leaking area. Someone has to run the water and someone has to watch for the water intrusion and yell when the leak starts. Water leaks or very hard to find.

JMildfelt

Got a repair guy to look at the leak and sure enough he finally seen where the water was leaking from. Unit is under warranty and the repair place has place a call to the factory for authorize the repair. He explained the slide out will have to be removed to seal the leak. It will be hard since we are full timers and no where else to stay for several days. I want to thank all who has responded to my rants. Everyone was very helpful with all the good ideas on how to locate the leak. I will keep everyone up to date on what was resealed to prevent any more water intrusion into my cargo area. :cool:

danemayer

Maybe they don't actually need more than a few hours. Make sure they understand you live in the unit full time. Perhaps they can schedule you in 1st thing in the morning and start work right away when you bring it in.

JMildfelt

The repair shop know that we live in our RV. Perhaps the wife and myself can make plans to visit some relative nearby for a few days. If they can schedule us on a monday and start work then, maybe they can complete the needed repairs by the next few days. Yea right. Ok we all know how the repair shop are. We will see. Will be keeping my fingers crossed.

JMildfelt

The factory is trying to tell me that water should never be in the area beneath the slide out. Now they are trying to seal the sides where the seal meets the outer walls of the slide unit. Still does not address the real issue. The screws that hold the rollers are leaking. The factory has changed it's installation procedure on units now in production. Still not helping me. I guess it is up to me to find a fix without removing the slide unit from the rig. One tall order. Will try to make a water dam to prevent water from reaching the rollers and still being able to let the water to evaporate or run off without interfering with the movement of the slide.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
OK, here's a long shot. When the slide is extended are the side and top wiper seals fully extended outwards, with no gaps where they meet at the corners? If water is running down from the top of the slide, it would be my guess that those seals need to be looked at. And do you have slide toppers?

aatauses

I had a leak on my bedroom slide and it was difficult to find, however with alot of water spraying and looking I did trace it. Water would run off the slide on the side, hit the metal flange on the bottom of the slide, then follow it into the unit. A small dab of caulk before it traveled into the unit forced the water to fall to the ground. Hope this helps.
al
currently in Kenai, AK

Garypowell

I also had a leak like you are describing. Found mine to be from the metal stiffner that was holding the upper seal in place. The caulking had come loose and as any water ran down the side of the unit above the bedroom slide it went behind where the upper bedroom slide gasket was fastened to the side of the RV. Once it was behind there, I guess through the screw holes it made it inside somehow.

As we looked for it we sprayed all around the slide and could not get the leak to occur....but once we sprayed above the slide and it ran down into the gasket from the top it started coming inside again. And we would get water into the basement....just sitting on top of the storage containers by the door....of course we blamed the door first until it was proven that was not the problem.

Once I caulked that upper strip of metal....the problem went away.

By the time we found the problem and fixed it I had to replace a 2 foot by 2 foot section of flooring.