Water smells like sulfur...

ARMORTECH

Any suggestions on how to neutralize sulfur smell of water? Hooked up a Culligan filter, but it didn't help.

Open to suggestions.
I know I can move, but I like the spot.

Yukon

dbbls59

The smell is coming from your water heater. Just drain it and refill. Some times you have to drain and refill more than once. Mine does that when I use well water instead of treated city water. I always ask the campground owner if they have treated city water or well water. I'll drain the water heater if it is a well. This should solve your problem.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We had the same thing happen with our BC. What we found out was that the antifreeze that we thought we had flushed out this spring didn't fully drain out and molded in the washer/drier area. It was the first time this has happened with any of our coaches. We are thinking that if we had the fresh water (hot & cold) low drain lines on the bottom outside like they used to have, this might not have happened. By using the low drain lines in the past, we were able to alway drain the antifreeze out of the coach before usage. The fix - run water thru the washer line till the water is clear.

dglatta

You might also check the condition of your anode rod in the hot water heater. If it is badly degraded, replace it and that may fix your problem.

jnbhobe

You might also check the condition of your anode rod in the hot water heater. If it is badly degraded, replace it and that may fix your problem.

And flush out all the junk laying in the bottom of the tank too.

rvn4fun

We fought this every summer for years in several different rv's. We worked camp at a place that had well water. All was well for a few months, every summer, then the smell came. I used to drain the hot water heater, disconnect the water hose, fill the water hose up with bleach, hook hose back up to get the bleach in the water heater, ran bleached water through all the hot water fixtures, then repeated the process with baking powder. We would have non sulfur smelling water for about a week, then it was back. Our solution, hook up to city water or if not possible go to a town and get city water, do above only use city water instead of bleach in hot water heater. The clorine in the water seems to freshen it up immediately and lasts for a long time. When we get to a town we don't even drain the hot water heater we just hook our water hose to city water, run some hot water and the smell is gone forever. Works for us everytime.

lwmcguir

The sulfur smell is from sulfur in the water. The only long term fix is to chlorinate and then use a carbon filter. When the carbon filter is exhausted/full you will know as you won't be able to stay in the shower.