water valve

wolfrat1

forgive my ignorance. there was a post awhile back that i cannot find. someone had mentioned that there was a plastic either valve or fitting behind the UDC. this part was swapped out for a brass fitting to prevent any future leaks. i have purchased a key largo that is still being dealer prepped and was going to have this part replace while still at the dealer. does anyone know of or remember the post or the part? i would appreciate any help.

thanks...

mobilcastle

Dan,
I think I read somewhere brass valves are not being installed in rv's. Their is a reason for it-it evades me. I did change mine as many others have. I also removed the black tank back flush air break valve that has flooded some peoples bathrooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the brass valves are not installed in trailers bound for sale in California because of the lead content used in brass.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

danemayer

There is a low-lead issue in California. And the manufacturing process leaves a tiny bit of lead in most brass fittings, which I think is why plastic was put into service in the first place. However, last summer at the factory, I noticed the stack of water heaters against the wall all had brass fittings and our tour guide said they're all that way now. Guessing as to what's happened, I would think either a very-low-lead fitting is now available at reasonable cost, or the California requirement has changed.

Or perhaps the stack of water heaters I saw is not representative of all new builds.

So see what you have and if it's plastic, consider changing it to brass early on, before it cracks and while it's easy to change.

wolfrat1

thank you danemayer for the info. page 14 was the part i was thinking of. my key largo did already come with a brass fitting. thank you again. i'll learn these systems yet.

aatauses

Replacing the check valve in the water heater is a really good thing to do. However in your post were you talking about that OR the plastic check valve that is in the water inlet? Several have also replaced that inlet valve with a brass one. sorry I do not have the links for that, but someone must remember???
al
currently in surprise, AZ

Mrsfish

There is a low-lead issue in California. And the manufacturing process leaves a tiny bit of lead in most brass fittings, which I think is why plastic was put into service in the first place. However, last summer at the factory, I noticed the stack of water heaters against the wall all had brass fittings and our tour guide said they're all that way now. Guessing as to what's happened, I would think either a very-low-lead fitting is now available at reasonable cost, or the California requirement has changed.

Or perhaps the stack of water heaters I saw is not representative of all new builds.

So see what you have and if it's plastic, consider changing it to brass early on, before it cracks and while it's easy to change.

Dan-

bought our unit in April, fresh from the factory. Do you think if I called them they would know if my water heater has a brass or plastic valve? Or would they be guessing along with the rest of us?

Ann

danemayer

Dan-

bought our unit in April, fresh from the factory. Do you think if I called them they would know if my water heater has a brass or plastic valve? Or would they be guessing along with the rest of us?

Ann
Hi Ann,

They might be able to tell you what it's supposed to be. Hopefully that wouldn't be any different from what it actually is. Actually, I'd be interested in hearing what they say.

If you ever take down the rear basement wall by the UDC, you'll be able to see the check valve. The wall is pretty easy to take down. Several screws along the left edge and several from inside the UDC.

wdk450

Re: "If you ever take down the rear basement wall by the UDC, you'll be able to see the check valve. The wall is pretty easy to take down. Several screws along the left edge and several from inside the UDC."

I took the screws out permanently and added latches like these between the two pieces:
suitcase latch.jpg
I used window screen mounting hardware like this to keep the latches from flipping open: screen mount.jpg

Now the utility area behind the UDC is relatively easy to access.

ParkIt

Re: "If you ever take down the rear basement wall by the UDC, you'll be able to see the check valve. The wall is pretty easy to take down. Several screws along the left edge and several from inside the UDC."

I took the screws out permanently and added latches like these between the two pieces:
View attachment 28013
I used window screen mounting hardware like this to keep the latches from flipping open: View attachment 28014

Now the utility area behind the UDC is relatively easy to access.
Was thinking along those lines as well when I'm done down there, great idea and thanks for posting the picts.