We are looking at the Landmark Newport as our retirement rig but worried about bad reviews on Heartland!

randolu

We are looking at the Newport as our possible retirement rig but in doing some research online I am a bit scared about all the posts that I have come across on the poor workmanship and warranty on these units. It seems several people have experienced water-line problems and leaks. Starting to second guess this line. Please advise on your experience.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
The key to having no problems is an indepth PDI at delivery....we took an entire day, and made certain that everything was hooked up, water, electric, propane...everything. We checked every single system and the tech opened the bay and checked every connection...water, electric, etc. We have been in this unit for almost three years...not one single leak, electrical problem...nada. If you don't take an active role in the PDI...any RV you buy can have the same issues.

RoadJunkie

Is this a gag? Did Jayco send you? Just kidding. :angel: There are a couple of points to keep in mind, one of which is to understand all "affordable" RVs are mass produced, and, time is money. So, they are built as quickly as possible with an eye on quality. Another point is that forums, like this one, are breeding grounds for dissatisfied venting, typically when frustration sets in regarding a lack of attention from either the vendor or manufacture regarding their problem(s). Squeaky wheel, and all that. Now...here's the truth: All of these rigs hold the potential for infant failures that may be the result of vendor reliability (refrig, stoves, heaters, TVs, etc.) or plumbing/electrical issues based on lack of experience from installers, or even hasty fabrication. The important part: You will NOT get away from the above potential with any vendor and a certain amount of luck is involved (increase your luck with a healthy Pre Delivery Inspection). If you proceed with your purchase expecting perfection, then we will likely read you venting post on this forum. Or, understand these rig are built and inspected by human workers that can, and do, make mistakes...like you and I. Well, maybe I should just speak for myself. Have fun and pick out a nice rig for your retirement. We like our Big Horn, but we have learned to roll with some punches. It hasn't been perfect.

randolu

Is this a gag? Did Jayco send you? Just kidding. :angel: There are a couple of points to keep in mind, one of which is to understand all "affordable" RVs are mass produced, and, time is money. So, they are built as quickly as possible with an eye on quality. Another point is that forums, like this one, are breeding grounds for dissatisfied venting, typically when frustration sets in regarding a lack of attention from either the vendor or manufacture regarding their problem(s). Squeaky wheel, and all that. Now...here's the truth: All of these rigs hold the potential for infant failures that may be the result of vendor reliability (refrig, stoves, heaters, TVs, etc.) or plumbing/electrical issues based on lack of experience from installers, or even hasty fabrication. The important part: You will NOT get away from the above potential with any vendor and a certain amount of luck is involved (increase your luck with a healthy Pre Delivery Inspection). If you proceed with your purchase expecting perfection, then we will likely read you venting post on this forum. Or, understand these rig are built and inspected by human workers that can, and do, make mistakes...like you and I. Well, maybe I should just speak for myself. Have fun and pick out a nice rig for your retirement. We like our Big Horn, but we have learned to roll with some punches. It hasn't been perfect.

No one sent me RoadJunkie.....I Know that there are no promises or grantees' that you will be without problems with any rig we might decide on, but is very important to us is how the factory stands behind the product and I have read some real horror stories on that as well.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We are looking at the Landmark Newport as our retirement rig but worried abou...

If you are looking for a perfectly built, trouble-free rig, you'll never find it. However, if you choose the top of Heartland's line, the Landmark, you will have less issues than most. They do check each rig with some quality control checkpoints, though I don't know what those are exactly. (Not in the market for one, so I haven't researched it.)

Also, you have this great forum of super-helpful owners. Nearly every issue that comes up, someone has a solution or suggestions on how to troubleshoot-- to help you get the fix faster than having to take it in to a dealer.

Heartland also works directly with customers to ship parts and find approved service facilities or mobile techs, to get you fixed wherever you are.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ksucats

We currently have SOB (some other brand) and are looking at both the Key West and Charleston as our home away from home. I can say from experience that in the three past 5th Wheels we've owned that things go wrong. I'm going to pick my current one up this afternoon because we had to have a faucet replaced (even though winterized, one of the faucet handles leaked after another Kansas Winter; the fresh water fill hose to the fresh water tank decided to get a hole in it; and the annual inspection of propane items needed to be done.) Am I upset - darn tooten, but I also know that things happen. We have enjoyed many thousands of miles with all of our units, each from different companies. Mechanical things break, things that go bouncing across our national roads tolerating a lot of abuse break a bit more often. This is where having a good service center helps. From what I've read, Heartland (and especially Landmark) are making a tremendous move to the better.

Finally, as RoadJunkie mentioned above, those who post to these forums are most often folks with an issue seeking other owners help in fixing things themselves, or getting guidance on whom to call. There are many thousands who own these products who may never post a single item yet lurk in the forum, reading the postings, waiting to jump in and help or, as you and I appear to be doing, seeking information as we make our ultimate purchasing decision.

Bottom line - give each brand a good look-over, if you see a coach you like, study it closely, compare the competition and see which is better to your eye, and to what you plan to use it for, and then make your decision. Take what you read on the forums with a grain of salt - what is that old expression -- you get good service - you tell one person, you get bad service you tell 10. Well now you can tell thousands and the one whose voice is about good gets drowned out.

Best wishes as you make your decision.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Re: We are looking at the Landmark Newport as our retirement rig but worried abou...

If you are looking for a perfectly built, trouble-free rig, you'll never find it. However, if you choose the top of Heartland's line, the Landmark, you will have less issues than most. They do check each rig with some quality control checkpoints, though I don't know what those are exactly. (Not in the market for one, so I haven't researched it.)

When we toured the plant a month ago there were two BH and a LM in some form of QC at the end of the production line. All systems were on - lights TV A/C electronic theater seats basement open water system pressurized couple of techs looking things over inside and out. Don't forget a transport driver moves them to a dealer and they drive a lot faster than you and I do !!!

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
We are looking at the Newport as our possible retirement rig but in doing some research online I am a bit scared about all the posts that I have come across on the poor workmanship and warranty on these units. It seems several people have experienced water-line problems and leaks. Starting to second guess this line. Please advise on your experience.

We bought a Ashland last December and yes we had issues but Heartland stood by the product and got everything fixed. There is not a RV out there that does not have some issues and the first six months you are going to have to go with the flow. The good news is when you get through the start up period you get to know the unit and know what you can and cannot do. We had issues but we love our RV and Heartland customer service. We are looking forward to many more adventures.

Bobby A

We have been full timing in ours for 5 years 24/7 early on we had some water issues and a couple other things that Heartland took car of no problem, we are extremely happy no major issues and all the components have been flawless. Heartland has the best customer service in the business not to mention this forum, is awesome !!

kowAlski631

Please keep in mind that people (ourselves included) rarely post about all the good of any product. We had some problems, but no more than people with other brands have. All a matter of perspective.

wdk450

I think that Heartland has a pretty good reputation for standing behind their product, in general. I had a frame flex problem with my hitch area discovered 5 years after it was manufactured. Once photos proved my claims, I was approved for repair at the Heartland Plant. The front cap and bedroom slide were removed, the frame was re-welded and fortified, the cap and fiberglass were repaired to like-new condition. This all took a full five-day work week by a crew of 3, and I was charged nothing for the repair.

DaveTyler

Not long ago I made debut on this forum because of a friend, we had already seen the trailer, Big Horn version of Landmark Newport, and my wife had already made up her mind without looking at other brands. Our friend, George Speir, bought a Gateway and would not sleep until I joined the Heartland forum or looked at the forum and then we bought our trailer. We have had some problems, some we shouldn't have, not all dealers are the same. However I can say that seeing the Heartland customer service number on this website helped. After two call calls to the factory customer service, Jamie, took care of me and sent the parts I needed at no cost and also mentioned that if I needed anything to call again. I am 350 miles from where I bought my trailer and would probably not ever go back or recommend. I am sure you get my drift. Our trailer is our retirement rig too, our (my) problem was that my wife bought the trailer before I had a big enough truck to pull it. We are excited about going to the Heartland Rallies and to meet the guys and girls that have responded to my inquiries and some are not too far away. I have plug ins here and gloves to fits the hands. No mater what you buy, good luck on the retirement and if you get close you can stop by and come by here even if not a Heartland!! But if you buy a Heartland, join the Whole club and get you sign, I am proud of mine!! Best to you! Dave

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I to have had a similar problem as Bill (wdk450). My Bighorn is a 2008 3400RE. Heartland repaired my trailer in 2010 even though the warranty had expired. I have also seen other trailer that were repaired by Heartland which had warranties that were further out of date to when the repaired them.

The PDI is very important. Take your time with it don't let them rush you. In saying that it is also important that you find a dependable dealer. In my opinion the biggest problem is not Heartland. It is the dealers. Many are not really qualified to work on some trailers. They don't do things right or blame it on Heartland because a part/parts were not sent. Yet they did not order them or ordered the wrong ones. As I have been fulltime since 2007 and find that calling Heartland first to see what can be done and have them recommend a dealer or I find a mobile repair to come help me. I am never near my original dealer and if you fulltime neither will you. So look for a good deal and worry about the problems as they pop up and they will.

Good look and hope you join the Heartland family.

BC

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Randolu,

We purchased a 2015 Landmark 365 Newport this past February. Has it been problem free? Not a chance. But the problems have been minor and Heartland Customer Service people are the greatest! They work with you go get the problem corrected ASAP. We love our Newport!! I believe a lot of the complaints come from folks who expect too much too quickly and do not react to the customer service people with the respect they deserve. In my opinion, it's the age old "you catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar." Most of the problems (including a couple of mine) are the fault of the dealers not doing a complete PDI and the new owners (myself included) not insisting dealers do what they are suppose to do.

wdk450

. . . .
In my opinion the biggest problem is not Heartland. It is the dealers. Many are not really qualified to work on some trailers. They don't do things right or blame it on Heartland because a part/parts were not sent. Yet they did not order them or ordered the wrong ones . . . . . .

BC

An important feature on warranty servicing that Heartland offers, and most other RV manufacturers don't, is your right to decide where warranty work will be done, from ANY RV servicer you decide on (not just a Heartland dealer). You just need to call Heartland service for authorization before taking in the trailer for service.

In conjunction with the above information, many of us owners have decided that an independent RV servicer (No RV sales) is the best way to get your trailer reliably and quickly repaired. Dealer service departments are the poor stepchild of the SALES department at most RV dealers. The big money fro the business comes from Sales, and service is just a required function in their sales contract with the RV manufacturers, and needed by the RV industry-wide PDI process in lieu of stringent quality control and inspections AT the manufacturing facility. Independent RV servicers are small businesses that need to get the work done quickly, and generate a positive word of mouth from their customers, to keep their small business going. Look at RVServiceReviews.com for feedback about RV Servicers.

I spend a lot of time looking at rv's. We went to Camping world to look at the Charleston. I found 2 issues right away. The bracket on the slide draw on the kitchen sink island had a couple of missing screws, when I went to pull out the draw, half of the assembly came with it.

In the bedroom, the half circle wood trim on the ceiling was missing the screw in the center which caused it to droop down. I went into another unit to comfirm if it should have a screw, and it did.

I'm not bashing Heartland, just pointing what I found.

randolu

An important feature on warranty servicing that Heartland offers, and most other RV manufacturers don't, is your right to decide where warranty work will be done, from ANY RV servicer you decide on (not just a Heartland dealer). You just need to call Heartland service for authorization before taking in the trailer for service.

In conjunction with the above information, many of us owners have decided that an independent RV servicer (No RV sales) is the best way to get your trailer reliably and quickly repaired. Dealer service departments are the poor stepchild of the SALES department at most RV dealers. The big money fro the business comes from Sales, and service is just a required function in their sales contract with the RV manufacturers, and needed by the RV industry-wide PDI process in lieu of stringent quality control and inspections AT the manufacturing facility. Independent RV servicers are small businesses that need to get the work done quickly, and generate a positive word of mouth from their customers, to keep their small business going. Look at RVServiceReviews.com for feedback about RV Servicers.

wdk450.....That is a great thing to know that you have the option to get service from who you want to. I would for the most part prefer an independent service person or the factory then the dealer to do repairs.

wdk450.....That is a great thing to know that you have the option to get service from who you want to. I would for the most part prefer an independent service person or the factory then the dealer to do repairs.

That is a huge selling point for me as well. I'm getting tired of hearing from my SOB that the service center is not authorized!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Scott-Pati, you were dealing with CW. It appears that they never ever did a pre-delievery inspection that HL payes them for before they put it on the lot. Thats very sad. Most people do not have any good things to say about most CW's. Sales or service.....JMHO

ksucats

X2 re CW. I hate to bash any dealer because things change but one constant as we've traveled is the lack of service from CW. I've even written CW corporate for an item from two years ago and never got a response - not even an acknowledgement that they received / reviewed a certified letter I sent (and they signed for) regarding a service item. Nuff said.