Welcome back light

We have a 2011 Bighorn 3185 and have just had warranty work completed on the keyless entry. Now that it is working the Welcome back light has stopped working. Is this connected to the keyless entry? I would like to avoid driving back to the dealer (280 miles round trip) if someone can help me with this issue.

Thanks for your help.

jimtoo

Hi Mike and Karen,

I would not think the light would be tied in with the keyless entry. Have you checked the entry closet ,,, where the other switches are.. for porch light or something like that?? They may have turned it off while working on the keyless..

Jim M

Jim

We have tried all the switches and the light will work manually but not when you open the door. It was working before we got the keyless entry fixed that is why I wondered if the two were tied together somehow.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
The keyless entry works off a radio signal ( I had to replace the battery in mine Saturday). There is no wire from the keypad to the lock. The welcome back light functions off contacts between the door and the door frame (near the bottom of the frame). I would check the 12v fuse panel. Haven't looked myself, but there may be a fuse in the circuit that goes to the door that has blown.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Mine stopped working and I found the bulb was loose. Grab a ladder and carefully check to see if the bulb is secure.
Don't touch the bulb with you hands. It is halogen and should be handled with a cloth or tissue.

Thanks for the help. We have checked the bulb and it is working. I will check the fuse box and see if I can find the contact points in the door. Thanks again.

Willym

The keyless entry works off a radio signal ( I had to replace the battery in mine Saturday). There is no wire from the keypad to the lock. The welcome back light functions off contacts between the door and the door frame (near the bottom of the frame). I would check the 12v fuse panel. Haven't looked myself, but there may be a fuse in the circuit that goes to the door that has blown.
I'm fairly sure that the door contacts are just for the power to the door lock. I believe that the welcome back light is actuated by a magnet in the door operating a switch in the wall near the door.

Pizzaguy

Did you find the problem with your welcome back light? Ours quit working also, but the light works when you turn the switch on manually.

TedS

This from another thread in the 12vdc category:
The switch labeled "Aisle" next to the step light switch must be in the off position for this feature to work. Additionally, it is triggered by the entrance door not the screen door.

The two brass plungers at the bottom of the door are for the key-less entry, not the welcome back light. Early models had a black plunger while current models have an internal magnetic switch that operates this feature.

The light is triggered when the entrance door is opened and will remain lit for approximately 1 minute and then dim out. If the door is left open, it will not work again until the door is closed.

Because it works by breaking ground circuit, the light will come back on if the door is not closed before it dims out the next time the door closes. If the aisle light switch is left on, it overrides the circuitry and the light simply remains lit until it is manually switched off.

Pizzaguy

Thanks for the reply TedS but there are still no answers to why it quit working. I know it works with the swith on. The problem is it quit working with the switch off as it did before as coming on as the door is opened. The biggest help would be if somebody knows where the magnetic switch is located in the door frame. I have searched all the threads on this any everybody explains how it works or "you need to turn the switch off", but no one has said where the magnetic switch that is the one breaking the ground circuit is located in the door.

Pizzaguy

I have found the problem. There is a litttle magnet attatched to the bottom of the outside door. This magnet had moved. When replacing the magnet, you have to position it just right to adjust if the light comes on and how long it stays on. The switch that activates this must be under the door threshold. Hope this helps somebody else out.

TedS

Pizzaguy, thanks for the feedback. That's good to know that the magnet is on the bottom edge of the outside door. If the switch is under the threshold, it should be easy to get to if need be.

So if I sit on the threshold, the light will turn on when I get up. Oh,wait, lead is not magnetic.

davidg

Our 2011 BH has a switch just above the lower door hinge which is above the contacts for the key pad it is covered with a soft black rubber cover on the right side of that black cover is a little switch try pushing it in if it doesn't go in try pulling it out, if that works pull the rubber out a little and spray a little WD-40, ours was stuck in needed a little oil.