Well The Chinese Bombs Bit US today

jwalker1

We were traveling from Dillon, SC to Emporia, VA (Jellystone Park) and the right rear tire blew on the Cyclone. These things only have about 1800 miles on them. We have been traveling for three weeks from San Antonio. Going about 4 hours a day and then stopping. We were only 16 miles from the park when the tire blew. Glad we had Good Sam Emergency Road service the guy came and changed the tire within 1 hour. However, the Cyclone is damaged on the side. Don't know what to do. Think I want to buy a set of Goodyear G614's but don't know where to find them close to here. Should I order a set and just wait here at the park to go and get them put on? We're on our way to Lancaster, PA.

GOTTOYS

See if there's a Discount Tire in the area. If they don't have them they can get them fast..Good luck..Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
DONT THROW AWAY THE TIRE. Keep it and call HL and see who the tire supplier was and contact them for help with repairing your CY.

lwmcguir

http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/ If you are planning on camping for a few years go with 17.5 tires and wheels. Otherwise the G614's are very good. Never have blown a 17.5 but sure have all the others. However never a G614 either. We run them on stock trailers and them move them to flat bed trailers when they are 4-5 years old. High priced but better than blowing out the marginal tires.

donr827

If the damage is severe and the tire manufacturer denies help you can file a claim under your comprehensive coverage on your trailer insurance policy.
Don

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You will probably be able to find GY614's at most independent tire dealers that handle GoodYear tires. If they don't have them in stock they can order them. Keep in mind Ford dealers sell them too and say they will beat anyone's price. Have a friend that got his at a Ford dealer for their 5th wheel. Take photos of the damage and the damaged tire and keep the damaged tire also. Then find out from Heartland Customer Service who was the supplier for the tires on your rig. Have your vin ready when you call them.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I don't think the GY 614's will fit correctly on your wheels, make sure your wheels can handle 100-110 psi. If you have 6000lbs axles the Maxxis 10ply should work.

TireHobby

What caused the tire to fail?
Did the guy that changed it have and ideas?
Were all tire pressures checked before the travel day started?
Were the exposed tire threads mealted?

TireHobby

GOTTOYS

DONT THROW AWAY THE TIRE. Keep it and call HL and see who the tire supplier was and contact them for help with repairing your CY.
If you're really lucky they'll send you another piece of junk delivery and display tire like the one you lost...Don

lwmcguir

I don't think the GY 614's will fit correctly on your wheels, make sure your wheels can handle 100-110 psi. If you have 6000lbs axles the Maxxis 10ply should work.
We run a few of the hand me downs on lighter trailers that have 80 psig wheels. Use a paint marker and note on the wheel by the valve stem "80" psig max.

patsak

I would get all new tires soon. We are on the road now and on our way up in GA, we had a blowout. We were lucky, it must have just happened and someone passing by pointed it out to us. We got off of the highway and while waiting for Good Sam's we looked at our other tires. There was another one with a big bubble on it. Fortunately, there was a place across the way that replaced big truck and trailer tires. Got 2 new ones. (american made). Went on over to Nashville and decided to replace the other 2. Went to a Goodyear place to have them replaced. When they took off the spare to put back, there was a nail in it and couldn't be replaced. They took off the other 2 tires to use one of them as a spare and on both of them, there was a bubble on the inside of the tires. 3 new tires later, we are back on the road. If your tires start to go, I guess they are all ready to go.

jwalker1

The guy who replaced the tire did not have an idea of what caused the blowout. The tire pressure is checked everyday especially after they cool down. I also check the tires on the TV. It looks like the tire threw all of the tread. I don't travel over 60 mph. Also, this Cyclone has only been on two trips before we started this long trek to PA. The tires probably have around 2000 miles now. Most of that (around 1500 miles) is on this trip from San Antonio to Lancaste, PA.

TireHobby

A tire “blow out” will almost always cause a big boom which may cause severe structural damage to the trailer. It’s important to troubleshoot the cause of such a failure to help avoid others like it. Most often it will turn out the condition was unavoidable.

When examining the failed tire there are a few key conditions to look for. The condition of melted exposed polyester cording will always indicate the tire was severely overheated when it failed. It could have just been under inflated or suffered a slight penetration causing a slow leak and the normal highway speed will soon over heat it.

If there is enough tire left to examine the area of the rapid air loss, there will usually be evidence of what may have happened such as hitting a sharp object in the road or a sharp road indentation.

In any event it’s important to search for a true cause. It could also be a suspension problem of some sort and wont go away with a new tire.

TireHobby

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I don't think the GY 614's will fit correctly on your wheels, make sure your wheels can handle 100-110 psi.

My Cyclone has factory issue Sendel T03 16x6 cast wheels with a published max pressure rating of 100psi. I asked Goodyear through their website about using the G614 tires on wheels not rated for 110psi. They responded that they could be used on my wheels because the recommended tire pressure for a 3000 pound tire load (6000 lb axles) is 80 PSI.
The suggestion here to mark near the valve stem in red the wheel pressure limit is excellent!

jnbhobe

Try looking for a company called Service truck and tire center. They have 40 stores in eastern Pa. they are a commerical tire dealer. I got 4 G-614's last July for $1200 from them.

Vtxkid

A Tire pressure monitoring System (TPMS) is highly recommended for anybody driving these rigs. That way you are alerted to the pressure changed of any tire being monitored BEFORE you have a blowout which damages you RV. Saves you time and money down the road!!!

SMG

So happy I had mine replaced on my Cyclone 3950 last week. When the "China Bombs" came off I was shocked to see how close I was to a catastrophic blowout on 2 of the 6 tires. This is after I had already replaced 2 previously.

Went with Goodyear Marathons this time. E rated, but still made in China. Not sure how i feel about that. Time will tell.