Wet carpet bottom of slide

Seren

Having a strange problem with my 2014 Landmark Grand Canyon. About a month ago saw that the carpet was damp after moving the slide out. The dampness was on the carpet about a foot from the slide and to the right of the fireplace on the carpeted part of the slide. This is the slide with the refrig, stove, and fire place, After a couple of days the area was dry. But, arrive a a campground two days ago and the same area is wet along with discoloration on the wood just to the right of the fireplace. There appears to be no leaks, i turned off the ice maker just in case. I believe it is just above the fresh water tank, but it is only half full. We did use it briefly we we stopped for a break enroute. I looked under the slide in that area and did not see any dripping or wet spots. It is a very strange place for dampness to occur since it is the middle of the slide pretty far from the refrig (residential) No other place is damp along that slide, except just to the right and a little under the fireplace. We fulltime, so most of the time we have travelled there has not been any dampness. Any one have a idea on the cause or how to troubleshoot this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

danemayer

Seren,

When you say you turned off the ice maker, did you evacuate all the water from the feed line and from the water filter and cooling coil inside the frig? There's quite a bit of water (1/2 gallon?) and it could still be leaking out if there's a pinhole in the feed line.

The Residential Refrigerator Guide has directions on winterizing, which will get all the water out.

Seren

Seren,

When you say you turned off the ice maker, did you evacuate all the water from the feed line and from the water filter and cooling coil inside the frig? There's quite a bit of water (1/2 gallon?) and it could still be leaking out if there's a pinhole in the feed line.

The Residential Refrigerator Guide has directions on winterizing, which will get all the water out.

As a relative newbie, didn't understand the roundabout way water gets to the refrig. In the Grand Canyon there is a pantry to the right of the fireplace. After finally figuring out how to remove the bottom pull-out drawer, the carpet under it was all wet, and at the back is where the refrig water comes up through the slide. So I would assume that is the problem. Now that I purged the water from the line, hopefully it will dry out. Still have to figure out where the leak is. Thanks for the help. I didn't realize there was so much water in the system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Soshi4

We have a 2015 Bighorn 3585RL and this evening we notice the same exact water issue in the same exact place that Seren has on the Grand Canyon. Ours exceeds damp and is encroaching on being soaked. Also noticed that the quarter round molding where the carpet and the pantry cabinet meet is separating (possible swelling?). We have had no accidental spills, have not moved the rig in almost two weeks and it has not rained here for the last week. We will be contacting the local Heartland dealer tomorrow morning to get it in for them troubleshoot and repair as rig is still under warranty. Will let you know what they determine.

jimtoo

Hi Soshi4,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Have you checked the water supply to the ice maker line? Might be easy to fix if just loose.

Jim M

Masonpro1

Hi Folks,
We too have a leak. Our Heartland model is a 2011 Bighorn 3580RL. In the bedroom slide, bottom shelf of the cupboard left of the bed.
The leak has been going on for a couple of years now. It is parked at a campground so no travel causes the leak. Here are things we do know. It leaks when it rains (obviously) and also leaks when the slide is in or out. I have caulked the vertical seal on the exterior at the corner where the leak occurs and does not help.
Does any one have a similar problem.

danemayer

Hi Folks,
We too have a leak. Our Heartland model is a 2011 Bighorn 3580RL. In the bedroom slide, bottom shelf of the cupboard left of the bed.
The leak has been going on for a couple of years now. It is parked at a campground so no travel causes the leak. Here are things we do know. It leaks when it rains (obviously) and also leaks when the slide is in or out. I have caulked the vertical seal on the exterior at the corner where the leak occurs and does not help.
Does any one have a similar problem.

Hi Masonpro1,

If you've had a leak for several years, I'd suggest you plan on taking the trailer to a shop that can locate the leak and repair it. You also should have the bedroom slide and surrounding areas inspected for water damage. Even small leaks over a long period of time can result in rotted wood. The longer you wait, the worse any damage will be.

Last edited:

Boca_Shuffles

On RV refrigerators, there is usually a small (1/2 inch?) tube that drains moisture from the unit. It is normally attached to the outside through the white refrigerator air vent on the side of the trailer. It normally sticks out of the small square holes.

This hose is just cheap white plastic and breaks easily. Check that the hose is not broken and is routed to the outside Otherwise the water will drain into the back of the refrigerator compartment.

Soshi4

Took our Rig in to heartland dealer and they found the ice maker water line had been kinked at some point (before or during original installation) and the line was still used after being straightened out. The original installer may or may not of been aware the line had been kinked. Anyway, after about 5 months of use a leak developed right at the kinked spot close to the back of the fridge. Dealer fit me in as soon as I called and told them I had a water leak and it was under warranty. Replaced the line while they dried out the carpet and under the cabinets. Also let me know the shutoff valve for the ice maker water line is at the water feed line under the kitchen sink.

Soshi4

Bob-Renee

Re: Wet carpet bottom of slide between door & slide

As of yet I cannot see where rain water is coming from.
RV has not moved since Nov 2014 - so I do not believe it is a traveling issue.
Originally I thought the water was coming down the closed slide between the door and slide wetting carpet, but today I found the plastic liner on the underside in the stair storage area was full of water.
I have looked a seal on slide and cannot see void.
Perhaps someone has experienced a similar problem.
Thanks for response
Bob

slojohn

Re: Wet carpet bottom of slide between door & slide

I have a wet spot in exactly the same area on my 08 2900MK Sundance. Carpet gets wet with slides closed and I can't figure out where water is coming from. There is no problem with wet wood because we haven't had rain in California for so long there isn't much of a problem. This rig has been flawless since new. The wet spot is a real head scratcher.

l5landa

5yrs and counting
Hello club members, we have a 2011 Northcountry31bks. Three months after purchasing it brand new in 2012, I noticed mold on the carpet corner behind the sofa (slideout). I returned it to Lone Star dealer in Houston. Who said they found a leak and kept it for 6 months, but allegedly fixed the issue. This month while closing the slide out I noticed the same corner of the slide had brittle rotted wood on the under side. It all fell apart while the slide closed. Could it be the floor was never replaced and the wood remained damage these last 4 years? When I call Lone Star they simply told me that I could trade up!!!!. I love my camper I store in and enclosed storage space it is never exposed unless we are using it. I just want it fixed. I have opted to take it to Dues Camping Center in Dickinson Texas, it has been there 1 week and not made it inside the shop yet. This is so aggravating. I do my own inspections, no obvious leaks found ever. Under belly looks great, I have even reinforced it! Can anybody shed some light on this?

danemayer

One possibility is that rain water has been coming down in that area and over the past 4 years has slowly caused wood damage along the edge.