What can be done to stop water in the underbelly?

Have rear wall panels fiberglass bubble separation which I believe sucked up water trapped in the under belly. Believe the water gets in when driving as the under belly is not sealed completely. My husband can stick his fingers into the inside between the screws holding the underbelly up. So water can get in. Now we had an odd smell in our camper and the water looked green so I suspect the water accumulation is creating mold and maybe rust. Now we need to take all the screws out drop it and clean it. I wish someone would have told us about this type of problem when we bought it. So why have an underbelly if all it will do is hold water when driving down the road in the rain. I see some people say they drill drain holes in the low spots where it sags. But then that leaves critters and cold air in right?

Has anyone else had this issue? Seems like most of the water accumulates behind the axles where most of the spray would happen from the tires kicking water off the road and shouldn't the under belly be completely sealed with some sort of caulking? Any suggestions as my camper is only 3 years old. Maybe a modified screw plug that can be inserted into the skin like drill a 3/4 inch hole in the belly at the low point and you can unscrew it easily and let water out? I am concerned now there is a lot of mold built up from sitting in there for who knows how long. Anyone else have water accumulation? I recommend you go under and push up on the low area and see if water flows out the sides. And no it does not appear to be a water leak from the hot water heater etc as we were able to push most of the green/rust/dirty water out and it is not filling up.

However we will inspect it all when we drop the belly skins and look more closely.

No apparent leaks but it seems for the last 3 years we have had water in our underbelly from road spray. Now we have mold and smells. Our back wall is bubbling and sucked up water which is what started the investigation. Dealer did not tell us it is a good idea to drain the water from the underbelly especially if traveling in the rain otherwise we would have been proactive. Well now we know many people get water in the under belly based on other forums, shame on us.

Anyway what I need to know is does the factory recommend a special sealing process to seal the under belly? Do they recommend a drain plug or sell one? Our camper is only 3 years old and I am so upset that we may have a moldy mess under there and want to fix it correctly. If we only camp in warmer wweather do we need the under belly? just remove it all?? Please help us decide what to do as the belly holding water is not what anyone wants in the camper. It creates mold rust and smells and now panels are warped. Perhaps a caution should come witht he camper when they are sold alerting us to the issues?

Thank You for your assistance. Also can you email me a way to check my posts as I submitted them and it seems to disappear and I want to make sure you received this. thanks sbp6111@aol.com

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I doubt they sell a drain plug or have a "special" means of sealing the underbelly. I also would not recommend completely removing the underbelly covering and exposing your wiring, heating ducts, tanks, and everything else to the direct road spray and elements. If you search the forums, you can find photos of the jumbled mess that awaits you under that cover. It ain't pretty.

If you cut drain holes in the covering, you could cover them with screening to allow water to drain and keep most insects out. Tape or glue the screen sections in place. Around the wheels and leading edges of the underbelly cover, you could use spray expanding foam to close up the openings. Check the forward edges of your cover. If there is excess hanging down, looking like an air scoop, trim it back. I had the dealership do that to mine during the PDI, since it was drooping down forward of the mounting screws by several inches.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
There are many ways to seal the underbelly. The problem being that you might need to remove at some point. Most people drill 1/4" holes in the low spots of the underbelly. Did this on ours and never had a problem with critters.

FennerJ

Heartland Dealer Service
I would discuss the installation of a new underbelly by a dealership or service center. once it gets to the point you are describing it should just be replaced, does not take long, a lot of screws and they have to cut around the components. I recommend walking around it with a spray foam over time, it will sag and need more of this, I would include it into your normal maintenance schedule for the unit.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I recommend walking around it with a spray foam over time, it will sag and need more of this, I would include it into your normal maintenance schedule for the unit.

So, should we all be sealing the outside edges of the bottom covering with a spray foam insulation?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If I where to do any extra sealing along the frame, I would do this. Head off to the trusty scrap metal dealer and get 1 1/2" aluminum strips as long as I could.... less seams. Start at the front and work to the back. Use the existing screws, drill holes and work to the back adding extra screws in the frame rails to pull the coroplast up tight. Maybe 1 or 2 between the existing screws. I would also use all stainless screws and washers. I dont intend to do this any time soon.....but I dont drive on winter roads with salt either.

Last edited:

FennerJ

Heartland Dealer Service
If you are having a problem with it sagging and filling with water, I would. It would help keep it all enclosed as well.

Thanks everyone the water was found in between the plastic under belly and the foil. But at the rear it was on top of the foil and also between the plastic under belly and foil. The rear screws attach to the bottom of the rear wall and that is where most of the moisture was and why my rear wall is bubbling I guess??
Half of it is down getting air for the next few days to dry out. Another camper came by my site and said whats up with that. I explained and he said gee I guess I should go check mine as well. He came back said his was dry and he travels alot. But his was not a Heartland it was a Cedar Creek

Seriously folks I have a rough time accepting this lack of quality. Very frustrating when you spend this much money you want your camper to last. So we had a black water clean out leak on day one. Then smell of gray water through the AC unit then rear wall starts bubling and coming apart and now this. Whats next?
I just cant believe Heartland does not care enough to provide us a longer warranty or stand behind the products more. I used to have a Sunline and loved it never had a problem. And our camper is barely used and mostly sits in my paved driveway no trees etc... They should sell the campers and say by the way put drain holes in the belly, then add taller vents to the short vents, then tear apart your bathroom and verify you black tank flusher as they leak from the factory, then seal your AC unit and then fix your toilet as it will not hold water and let black tank smells in. And do it all within 1 year or too bad. Sorry long day and I am frustrated because I now have a several hundred dollar job to replace the back wall. Anyone ever do that?

Also the plastic used to protect the underside also has channels throughout like cardboard does for strength and this also has water in it as the plastic is not a solid plastic.

Thanks