What can I run on 30 amp

Greengas

Quick question that I think I know the answer to but I want to make sure.

We are going to be spending two weeks at the Colorado Heights RV Resort starting the 24th of June. The only 50amp spots they have are in what I call their "upper deck" which is basically a gravel parking lot. The rest of the park is only 30 amp but covered with trees so it keeps the temps down. My thinking is, if I am plugged into 30 amp the only real limitation is that I can not run both of my AC units at the same time. Oh, and I might want to ask my DW to not use the hair dryer when the microwave is going (actually, it would be better to just not use the microwave when the hair dryer is going).

Am I on track or off base?

I know, I should have a chart of how many amps each appliance pulls, etc., but...

Thanks in advance!

jbeletti

Re: What can I run on 30amp

Ron - you are on track.

With my first Landmark, a 2005 unit, I rarely brought out the 50 amp cord. I only had one AC in that unit and I'd purchased a lighter and more flexible 30 amp power cord. That cord is pretty much all I used.

Manzan

You should be fine using one AC at a time and watching the use of the hair drier, microwave and hot water heater on electric.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired

Ron,

I have to agree - When I looked at what I use for power - my Cyclone only has one AC unit - and for the most part since I have no hair to dry I never worry about it, I would only be concerned about using the Electric water heater element, and the Microwave as you have already indicated you were aware ... those two and the 1500W hair dryer would be your biggest power consumers. @ 30A you have about 3600W to work with about 2000-2400 Watts in use for your AC any one of those major power hogs would bring you up to but not over the top.... but combine more than two of them and you will trip the breaker for your 30 Amp Service.

Kevin

wdk450

Being able to monitor my power usage is the thing I like the most about my Progressive Industries Power protection device, EMS-HW50C. It comes with a remote readout that is constantly cycling through Line 1 Voltage, Amps used in Line 1, Line 2 Voltage, Amps used in Line 2, power AC frequency, and any recorded power supply errors. In 30 amp hookups Line 1 and Line 2 are connected together.
Before I turn on any high current device (AC, microwave, toaster, water heater, convection/broiler) I check the readout and figure if the device I want to turn on will put me over the 30 amps current the park pedestal circuit breaker will allow.

Here is a link to the EMS: http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_hw50c.htm

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders

hair dryer...check
microwave...check
AC...check

don't forget the toaster (from experience:rolleyes:)

Have fun,
Monica

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired

The coffee maker would be the next one down in order of consumption unless you use an electric space heater.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

I recall from our North Trail days, no AC+microwave. No hair dryer+microwave.

Even today with 50 amps and 2 ACs, we are conditioned to turn off 2nd AC to run microwave or hair dryer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired

Yes the progressive will monitor the power and Amps used, but keep in mind that in a RV that is wired for 50A but run on 30A using a "Dog-Bone" you are powering both Phases (50A is actually two 50A Legs ) of the Rig with the same "Feed Leg" so the progressive might show you using 15A on one leg and 20A on the second ( and you would be Drawing 35A on a 30A Circuit - ( I would expect you would trip the Park Breaker )

50A Service is actually 4 Wire 50A, 2 Phase Service X, Y, W and G
X = 50A 120V (Phase 1) (6000W)
Y = 50A 120V (Phase 2) (6000W)
W = Common ( Carries both Phase 1 & 2 back to Breaker Panel )
G = Safety Ground ( Earth Ground - Since RVs do not have An Actual Earth Ground - this also goes back to the RV Power Pedestal)

30A Service is 3 Wire, 30A, 1 Phase X, W, G (Black, White, Ground )
Y(B) = 30A 120V (Phase 2) (3600W)
W = Common
G = Safety Ground ( Earth Ground - Since RVs do not have An Actual Earth Ground - this also goes back to the RV Power Pedestal)

So as you can see there is a big difference between the available power 12000 Watts on 50A vs 3600 Watts on 30A.

This site does a good Job of explaining Electrical as it relates to RVs http://www.myrv.us/electric/

I also would recommend that you install an EMS system in your Rig, TO Protect your investment and for your safety as well. Remember you have no control over the source of your power when you go from CG to CG and that is a really Big Unknown.

Kevin

scottyb

I recently watched my EMS monitor while running the 1 AC and the water heater and it would hit 28A - 30A on one leg. I assumed part of it was from the converter as well. We were connected to 30A for 5 days last week and we ran the water heater on LP when we needed it, just in case.

porthole

Retired

Before I installed the power reel in the Cyclone I used a 30 amp cord probably 90% of the time. The 50 amp anaconda was stored inside under the dinette and only came out if the temps required 2 AC's.

Sounds like you got your questions answered above.

MTPockets

We run with 30amp sometimes and tripped a breaker a couple times when DW turned on hair dryer at same time as coffee pot, A/C, elec water heater, lights... Turned off A/C, reset breaker. When hair is dry turned A/C back on.

wdk450

I recently watched my EMS monitor while running the 1 AC and the water heater and it would hit 28A - 30A on one leg. I assumed part of it was from the converter as well. We were connected to 30A for 5 days last week and we ran the water heater on LP when we needed it, just in case.

What I try to do is run the water heater on electric power when I go to bed, and shut it off in the morning when I want to use appliances. With the insulation on the water heater you will have piping hot water for a good while depending on your usage. This saves on buying $3.00 a gallon propane, and gets you more "bang for your buck" in your RV space rental.

Birchwood

We are on 30 amps for months when in Canada and our rule is ...water heater on propane and one A/C at a time.Never have a problem.

Jim.Allison

I like this, this is the way mine is configured, but my inverter will fill in any gaps by automatically pulling off one leg or the other as needed to assist in loading for either the generator or shore power. So if you have a top of the line inverter with two 50 amp legs in and one 30 amp out then the question that started all this would not even be a factor. Solar has many more uses than just boondocking. I was also shocked (no pun intended) to read that fellow RVrs sometimes do electrical work to pedestals in an attempt to correct what they think is a miswired system, most likely its really because they have screwed up the neutral bonding in their own rig. Pedestal power is a rattle snake, you must protect yourself from it at all times.
Yes the progressive will monitor the power and Amps used, but keep in mind that in a RV that is wired for 50A but run on 30A using a "Dog-Bone" you are powering both Phases (50A is actually two 50A Legs ) of the Rig with the same "Feed Leg" so the progressive might show you using 15A on one leg and 20A on the second ( and you would be Drawing 35A on a 30A Circuit - ( I would expect you would trip the Park Breaker )

50A Service is actually 4 Wire 50A, 2 Phase Service X, Y, W and G
X = 50A 120V (Phase 1) (6000W)
Y = 50A 120V (Phase 2) (6000W)
W = Common ( Carries both Phase 1 & 2 back to Breaker Panel )

30A Service is 3 Wire, 30A, 1 Phase X, W, G (Black, White, Ground )
Y(B) = 30A 120V (Phase 2) (3600W)
W = Common

So as you can see there is a big difference between the available power 12000 Watts on 50A vs 3600 Watts on 30A.

This site does a good Job of explaining Electrical as it relates to RVs http://www.myrv.us/electric/

I also would recommend that you install an EMS system in your Rig, TO Protect your investment and for your safety as well. Remember you have no control over the source of your power when you go from CG to CG and that is a really Big Unknown.

Kevin

dalspot

We camp mostly at state campgrounds that have only 30 amp. Summertime, I will not camp without good shade for at least half the day. We rarely have a problem in summer - we have only once AC, and it's only in the cooler temps when running the electric fireplace that I have to turn it off while running the microwave. Can't address the hair dryer as I rarely use one.

We REGULARLY turn the electric hot water heater off at night and when we are away from the unit. The water stays hot a good long while and it reduces the electric load. If you need hot water in a hurry, you can use both your gas and electric to heat up the water. Ours is only a 10-gallon tank, and does not need to have the heating element on for 8 hours while we sleep. I'll turn it on for a couple of hours in the am so I can get dishes and my shower done. Then it's off all day, turned back on after dinner for dishes again and hubby's shower at night. Then we shut it off... or try to remember to.

wdk450

We REGULARLY turn the electric hot water heater off at night and when we are away from the unit. The water stays hot a good long while and it reduces the electric load. If you need hot water in a hurry, you can use both your gas and electric to heat up the water. Ours is only a 10-gallon tank, and does not need to have the heating element on for 8 hours while we sleep. I'll turn it on for a couple of hours in the am so I can get dishes and my shower done. Then it's off all day, turned back on after dinner for dishes again and hubby's shower at night. Then we shut it off... or try to remember to.

You are aware that the heating element on the water heater is on a thermostat-controlled circuit, and is NOT "on for 8 hours as we sleep"? It is more like the furnace, after it gets the water up to the desired temperature, it only comes on occasionally to maintain that temperature.

dalspot

Yes of course I do, but I see no reason to keep it at maximum temp when we are not in need of hot water. I consider it a "manual" timer like one would put on the electric water in the stick house. It works for us. To each his own ;)