What does everyone do at night for privacy on the exterior doors?

TX_Clay

On our 2015 Cyclone 3010, the front doors have the mirrored privacy glass that works well during the day. However, at night, lights on inside and dark outside. It is there for the viewing.
Curious what others have done to resolve this. I have several thoughts how to resolve it, including mounting curtain rods top and bottom.
But wanted to hear what others have done.
Also, the door handle is so close to the windows frame in the door that is traps your fingers as you try to close the door. Options ???

danemayer

We close our blinds at night.

On edit: sorry, I re-read and see that you're talking about doors.

Last edited:

wdk450

I can't say that I have done this, but have you looked at the cling window tint film? I put some on an old car of mine, and it looked like an executive limousine afterward, with darkened glass you couldn't see into.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The door has frosted/textured glass, so you can't see much through it. The windows in the main cabin have solid vertical blinds (replaced the day/night blinds) that get closed at night. If you're tall enough to peek in the bedroom windows, there may be another surprise waiting for you.

porthole

Retired
On our 2015 Cyclone 3010, the front doors have the mirrored privacy glass that works well during the day. However, at night, lights on inside and dark outside. It is there for the viewing.
Curious what others have done to resolve this. I have several thoughts how to resolve it, including mounting curtain rods top and bottom.
But wanted to hear what others have done.
Also, the door handle is so close to the windows frame in the door that is traps your fingers as you try to close the door. Options ???

I'm guessing you have the new style door with no screen and a full length window?

HornedToad

Most trailers have the opaque glass windows in the entry doors. I have seen several new trailers with the "mirrored privacy glass" entry door windows.

What's funny is I've followed several threads were this opaque window was replaced with the clear glass to be able to see out. I guess you could switch it to the opaque glass so nobody could see in. There are several vendors that sell these replacement windows and it seems the replacement is simple as screwing in the new frame.

An option to get the best of both worlds without hanging blinds on the door could be a sun-shield???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camco-RV-Ca...ndow-Cover-Sunshield-Sun-Screen-/141611402511

meri

Thanks for the concern- we just bought a 4200 Cyclone, but I never paid attention to the doors and windows. I am a new camper-will check it out and keep learning- thanks!

BLHFUN

Thanks for the concern- we just bought a 4200 Cyclone, but I never paid attention to the doors and windows. I am a new camper-will check it out and keep learning- thanks!

not the same for the 4200. They are frosted/textured small windows. The same day or night.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our trailer has the frosted glass in both doors . . .

I bought some 3M Command self adhesive clips and hung three over each door, then just slide a bath towel into the clips.

So far they seem to work good!

However, the windows in the doors block any kind of view into the trailer, except maybe a shadow if you are standing right in front and up close to the window.

The towel thing is really just to block out the morning sun before we want to wake up!

CamperJacksGulch-IMG_1575.jpg IMG_20141005_090833194.jpg IMG_20141005_090610230.jpg IMG_20141005_090628220.jpg CheyenneMtnCO2014-IMG_2096.jpg

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I use a full door length blackout curtain hung from the valance over the door. Helps Keep the bugs out when the little kids are going in and out, day or nights, And the light out/in.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427176359.479081.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1427176422.389218.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1427176461.671999.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1427176484.836652.jpg

I made this one, suspended between two small rods I found at Walmart. The lining is white so that's what folks outside see (though the window is frosted). It lets some light in, but really cuts the heat/cold transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Cyclones use to come with (may still do, haven't looked lately) with nice bronze tinted solar windows. They do a really good job during the day. But at night with the lights in side they offer at best 10% privacy.
The new long window door on the Cyclones (I don't like it) offer a new challenge.

To the OP, For the best fit and finish, something you can leave attached all the time, I think I would consider mounting a "cassette" type roller blind.
The box stores sell these as well as multiple online stores.

Cut to fit, length and width. You can probably get fabrics to match the decor of your trailer.

4-5 foot long door windows add a new challenge.

Here is just one example. I listed this one as it has the "side channels" that will eliminate the shade rolling on the edge. Plus it will eliminate any concerns when opening the door with the blind down (think wind)

http://www.farnboroughblinds.com/CASSETTE.html

BLHFUN

A 4 to 5 foot window in both doors that doesn't come with some sort of Privacy mechanism already installed?

avvidclif

Last trailer had a 12"x36" clear glass window in the door. Go to your local Ace Hardware store and get a can of window frosting. It's in a spray can like paint and puts a crackle finish frosting on glass. I also bought some blue painters tape to tape off the area I didn't want it on. I frosted it abt 3/4 of the way up. That way I could still look out if I wanted to but no-one outside could see in any lower than my upper body. Or you could do the entire window. I used that because I couldn't figure out how to put a blind in the space between the door and screen door.

TX_Clay

Sorry for the slow reply, busy day and no access to internet. Yes, that is exactly the doors. No screen door anymore. But the windows do open in the door. Bottom half slides up. As you can see, no pun intended. Just walk up and look in. From the inside, you would never know they are there because it is reflective back towards you. Didn't realize the issue till a friend walked up one evening and mentioned it to us.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It's mirrored on the inside and you can see in from the outside. I wonder if you can remove and reverse the glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk