What does everyone do at night for privacy on the exterior doors?

TX_Clay

No, it is mirrored on the outside. But at night, with lights on inside and dark outside. It is almost reverse, very hard to see out. But very easy to see in.
Example: If you have a glass storm door on you home. Turn off all your outside lights. Then, turn on your room lights. Back up away from the door. Your ability to see what is going on outside the door should be greatly reduced. Now add smoked glass with reflective on the outside and hopefully you get an idea of what we are experiencing.

porthole

Retired
For those that don't have Cyclones, they will not realize what we have with the bronze tinted solar reflective windows.

"If" I had a door like that, I think I would go with a cassette blind (there are many types) like I linked above.

HornedToad

I picked my trailer up from the dealers service department yesterday and had time to browse the lot while it was being washed.

They had a dozen Cyclones, a couple had the old small opaque entry door windows, and the rest had the full size window like yours. Of those I only noticed one that had a factory window covering. When I opened the door to snap the picture I realized that you are limited by the clearance of the screen in what types of window coverings you could install.

Attachments

• Window.jpg
    Window.jpg
    582.4 KB · Views: 92

porthole

Retired
This forum would be a good place to bring a new idea like that door up before forcing it on the public.

As a current Cyclone owner - I do not like it. If that window treatment is of the same quality of the sliding door blinds, they may as well save another $3 and not even bother putting it on.
At the very least, it should have some type of integrated, privacy-room darkening blind like the cassette system - perhaps a modified MCD shade item.

And if the designers that never camp really feel a change like this is necessary, make it optional for a year and see how it plays out.

TX_Clay

I would love, LOVE to have the old door with a screen door rather than the larger window that opens. Can't get the same amount of air flow as the screen door would have provided. That was my first response when I saw the trailer. What? No Screen Door? Sales person glossed it over, saying that the windows now open to allow air in, thus no need for a screen door.. I personally, happen to like the screen door. Looking at adding one of those hanging screens with magnets (as seen on TV) just so we can leave the doors open.
I see in your picture HornToad that one does have a screen door on it. Wish ours was that way.
Now we are having to deal with privacy issues at night. Not Good HL, not good.

Yep! Another brain child idea from LCI and Heartland. Really, does any of those engineers and designers actually camp in their own products? Never again another Heartland or THOR product for us. This Cyclone is our 4th RV and never have we had so many issues with any other one before as we have with this one. It's a $65k mistake. They could have easily put another $8 worth of material and hardware on the doors and call it a privacy shade.

Last edited:

IronJ

Never even seen one without a screen door...my rw has the inside screen, full length tinted window on the doors AND the black curtain...

Ironically I took out the frosted window on my old trailer and put in the see through replacement because I hated not being able to see out of the door

I also put the plexiglass panel mod on the screen door so I could have the main door open but something blocking sun/wind while being able to see out...

I'm spoiled now in the 420 as pretty much the whole side is a window with the patio down.....but even then every window has a privacy curtain/blind?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
With the awning out and a Patio-shade hanging off the roller, you have to be standing at the steps to see inside. And there is a barrel latch on the screen door that needs to be released to open the door once we're in for the night. Haven't had a problem with any "peeping Tom's," but the latch is to prevent an overstuffed cat from opening the screen door when we're outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk