What hitch is best with TrailAir pin box

Hi there! Just purchased a Landmark Savannah (although I have no truck yet) and had the dealer install a Trail Air pin box. When I get my truck, can I then just use a regular hitch? What's the best for the best ride? Dealer recommends Reese 20K. Looking at a F350 dually to pull it. Can't wait til we hit the road - retiring next year and going full time. We have not owned a camper before, so I'll probably be back here with many more questions!

danemayer

Hi DougandRobin,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a great bunch of friendly and helpful people here and I'm sure you'll get some recommendations shortly.

I see you have a RAM. That was my first preference but dealer says they have 'issues' with installing hitches, it riding high, etc. Did you encounter any problems?
Thx
Doug

danemayer

I see you have a RAM. That was my first preference but dealer says they have 'issues' with installing hitches, it riding high, etc. Did you encounter any problems?
Thx
Doug
The RAM has hitch prep mounts in the bed. They sell a fancy bracket that attaches to the bed mounts, and functions as a set of rails for the hitch. Our Hensley BD3 hitch, which uses "standard" rails, slipped right into the bracket. I'm told that if the hitch is lifted out, the bracket can be quickly released making the bed available for cargo use (although i haven't tried doing so).

I specifically asked the dealer to find a truck with 17" wheels rather than 18" or 20". While at rest, the bed sits about 3 inches higher than our 2011 GMC did. When hitched, it settles down and the truck and trailer are riding level. I also now have more bed rail clearance with the RAM than I had with the GMC.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have a B&W Turnover Ball with a 5th Wheel Companion. A new Ford has the prep for that hitch and you can buy it from the dealer. They have different brand of 5th wheel hitches I just like the B&W. I have never had any problems towing with the hitch.

BC

scottyb

If you do go with the Ford or Ram, make sure it has the factory 5th wheel prep. It amazes me that dealers would even order one w/o it, but they do. I also favor the B&W hutch due to it's simplicity and "near foolproofness" The gooseneck hitch may pay off in the future as well.