What is being done about Towmax Tires

Rollin_Free

Until you have your rig weighed fully loaded you will not know where you stand. Each tire weighed separately. At the Goshen Rally last year we had this done. We were within 400 pounds of max weight. Within 100 pounds on all four left to right and front to rear. I was told most that were weighed were well over and up to 4000 pounds over weight. We were an exception. So do not assume you are within the rating of your tires or axles until you have it weighed properly fully loaded to the max that you will ever carry. Given weight does not include all the extra add on/upgrade equipment that is not part of the standard basic trailer. So of your trailer is basic without any upgrades, then the given weight is correct so long as you are not carrying any fresh water. (acronym: assume - to make an a*s out of you and me)

Agreed and had always planned to weigh on the way home from the tire shop. I can't measure individual tires but may be able to get individual axles if I ask nicely. When I'm sure they will fit on Thursday I will post pics and provide the specs. as well when I get home.

Rollin_Free

5/6- TowMax tires are gone. Changed to LT225/75R16 E1 BSW Cooper Discoverer tires with a max load rating of 2680lbs. vs the 2540lbs of the TowMax. I gained a wider stance and raised the rig about 1". Bottom line is I'm quite happy with the end result and the wait was worth the end results. The only issue to correct for the conversion was the offset requirement of the wheel and Discount Tire came through again. I have 1 1/2" clearance on the inside front slider side wheel and 1" outside clearance of the same tire. No issues on clearance for the other tires. HooRa!!

I brought the Sundance home and on the way stopped by and had it weighed. For the first time all my weights are well within specs and I'm green for adding up to 750lbs more in the trailer without having any issues.

We had our first driveway camp out last night and it went extremely well.

OBX_Raineys

I joined the Blow Max tire club Thursday! Ironically I had told the wife I was going to replace them this winter, to be safe. Sudden explosion on I-95 about two hours into the trip. Thank goodness we were not too far from Wilson, NC and able to get some help to get back rolling.

Had less than 2,000 miles and about 2 years on this original equipment set of crap tires. I'd read the threads about the failures and took the advice of checking tire pressure before each trip, not exceeding the 65 mph limitation, keeping them covered when stored. But even being careful didn't help. The body damage is cosmetic, which I'm fortunate in that aspect.

Replaced all with same size Hercules F rated that have about 700 lbs. greater weight capacity. I'm sure there are failures among all brands, but after so many stories about Tow Max, I'm surprised Heartland didn't stop using them long ago.

Bill-Cathy

2016 Gateway 3400se. Just got back from Texas trip. The rig has less than 5000 miles on it with the original Towmax ST 235/85r16 tires. The kitchen slide was popping and cracking when moved so I took it to the dealer as soon as we got back to Las Vegas from our trip. The repair guy was underneath the RV checking the slide when he called for me to "get under here and look at the tires." The one tire looked like a balloon, on another tire the tread looked like a raised band on the left half. Never seen a tire like that. Thank our lucky stars we made it home without a blowout. I always check the pressure before we start a trip, we are not overloaded and driving down the road I am that little old man going 65 mph you keep passing! Since owning the RV I've been reading horror stories of Towmax blowouts. We really dodged a bullet making it home without a tragedy. Now I think I'll go with the Sailun, they seem to get good reviews. My advice, get those Towmax off now!

Abear79

2016 Gateway 3400se. Just got back from Texas trip. The rig has less than 5000 miles on it with the original Towmax ST 235/85r16 tires. The kitchen slide was popping and cracking when moved so I took it to the dealer as soon as we got back to Las Vegas from our trip. The repair guy was underneath the RV checking the slide when he called for me to "get under here and look at the tires." The one tire looked like a balloon, on another tire the tread looked like a raised band on the left half. Never seen a tire like that. Thank our lucky stars we made it home without a blowout. I always check the pressure before we start a trip, we are not overloaded and driving down the road I am that little old man going 65 mph you keep passing! Since owning the RV I've been reading horror stories of Towmax blowouts. We really dodged a bullet making it home without a tragedy. Now I think I'll go with the Sailun, they seem to get good reviews. My advice, get those Towmax off now!

Get in touch with dynamic tires in Canada. After I post this Ill go look though my stuff. I have it. You will have to send all the tires in to be looked at by their lad techs. Then they will get back to you telling you how you never kept proper psi in the tires. swallow your pride and take the 100 bucks a tire to help pay for your new tires. and send the spare also!!

Abear79

Dynamic Tire Canada 1-905-595-5558

I had a bad blowout going camping last summer. So i feel you pain. My coach has got fixed yet. I brought it in to the body shop to get the est. Had to bring it back a week later due to body guy not in. So week later get the est. done start getting things ready with the insurance and waiting on parts. The flood hits Baton Rouge (the awesome little mom and pop shop that I love to use got hit bad and lost all their paperwork on it. I ended up getting hurt at work so my baby been bruised up for a while.
Hopefully I'll be back to work around the summer, and get her fixed.

Good luck, Be persistent, It took 2 to 3 months from start to check in hand.

Bill-Cathy

Get in touch with dynamic tires in Canada. After I post this Ill go look though my stuff. I have it. You will have to send all the tires in to be looked at by their lad techs. Then they will get back to you telling you how you never kept proper psi in the tires. swallow your pride and take the 100 bucks a tire to help pay for your new tires. and send the spare also!!

Thanks for the information. I know manufacturers need to keep cost down when building these things but when it comes to safety there should be no cost cuts. I have read many articles about Towmax tire blowouts. Several have told of severe damage to their rigs, thankfully I haven't heard of anyone being hurt. ****** There seems to be enough evidence that Towmax tires pose a danger.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abear79

Thanks for the information. I know manufacturers need to keep cost down when building these things but when it comes to safety there should be no cost cuts. I have read many articles about Towmax tire blowouts. Several have told of severe damage to their rigs, thankfully I haven't heard of anyone being hurt. I'm surprised no one has started a class action lawsuit. There seems to be enough evidence that Towmax tires pose a danger.

No problem. And you are right. I had to sign a wavier to get the check. I even made a report on U.S. Dept of Transportation. I had just went to a weight station and got my weights. 15500 and 3500 on my pin. My plans were to get new 14 ply tires after this last trip. shame on me I guess. I never rolled a tire without 80 psi in those tires. I even check and top off before we left. But they told me the tires failed because of improper inflation. OK Im sorry. I get fired up on this.lol but if you need help just message me.

mlpeloquin

Heratland doesn't use Towmax on the Landmark, Big Born, or Big Country anymore. I didn't think they would put them on anything they sell do to the failures and damage that they have caused on the Heartland trailers. I met a couple with a one year old SOB in Bakersfield two weeks ago. He had just had a blowout. I pointed out the bulging of one of his other tires and asked him if they were Towmax. He said how did I know. First the tread pattern, the bulging tire, and another one out of round. I told him that they are known as Blowmax. He was going 75mph with them from Canada! Informed him the maximum rated speed was 65mph for the tire, but were not safe at any speed! Got him to change all five for Sailun tires the next morning. Let him know that the Sailun tires were truck trailer tires rated for 75mph.

Soon after we purchased ours, we went to our first rally in Reno, NV. A new landmark pulled in with the side damaged do to a Towmax tire blowing. He just picked it up and had less than 120 miles on it. When we got back home I was wondering what to replace the Tomax tires with. Got good advice from Bob (Old cranky) and replaced them with Goodyear G614's. Know one knew about the Sailun tires then and am very happy with the Goodyear tires.

wdk450

Heratland doesn't use Towmax on the Landmark, Big Born, or Big Country anymore. I didn't think they would put them on anything they sell do to the failures and damage that they have caused on the Heartland trailers. I met a couple with a one year old SOB in Bakersfield two weeks ago. He had just had a blowout. I pointed out the bulging of one of his other tires and asked him if they were Towmax. He said how did I know. First the tread pattern, the bulging tire, and another one out of round. I told him that they are known as Blowmax. He was going 75mph with them from Canada! Informed him the maximum rated speed was 65mph for the tire, but were not safe at any speed! Got him to change all five for Sailun tires the next morning. Let him know that the Sailun tires were truck trailer tires rated for 75mph.

Soon after we purchased ours, we went to our first rally in Reno, NV. A new landmark pulled in with the side damaged do to a Towmax tire blowing. He just picked it up and had less than 120 miles on it. When we got back home I was wondering what to replace the Tomax tires with. Got good advice from Bob (Old cranky) and replaced them with Goodyear G614's. Know one knew about the Sailun tires then and am very happy with the Goodyear tires.

You might tell any future RVers towing in California about the statewide 55 MPH speed limit for anyone towing anything in California. It's a surprise he didn't get to meet our California Highway Patrol (CHP). They look for this violation with RVers, especially near the borders, and there are signs about this about every 10 miles on all roads across the state.

SNOKING

You might tell any future RVers towing in California about the statewide 55 MPH speed limit for anyone towing anything in California. It's a surprise he didn't get to meet our California Highway Patrol (CHP). They look for this violation with RVers, especially near the borders, and there are signs about this about every 10 miles on all roads across the state.

So semi's are allowed to roll at 59-61 and RV trailers are not? All the while short tall cabover box trucks(think very un-stable) can go 75 MPH??? RUN-WITH-THE TRUCKS!

BigGuy82

So semi's are allowed to roll at 59-61 and RV trailers are not? All the while short tall cabover box trucks(think very un-stable) can go 75 MPH??? RUN-WITH-THE TRUCKS!

Not surprising - another California law that is out of touch with the world ...

For me, it's not a problem at all - just go around. There's a lot more beautiful real estate in America.

mlpeloquin

I did remind him of the 55mph limit and told him to keep it at 60mph. CHP doesn't seem to bother so long as you stay within 5mph of the posted speed limit. That being said, we had a neighbor who always towed her fifth wheel at 75mph. She was very lucky with the CHP and the 65mph tires.

Anything over 65mph with 65mph tires is not wise. That being said, I have read that so long as you have, at the cold tire temperature, 10psi over the load pressure requirement and a 10% lighter than max load on the tires, you are within the tire specifications for ST tires.

wdk450

Yes, the statewide 55 mph limit also applies to big rigs, and vehicles with 3 axles or more (like busses). I have heard of occasional speed limit clampdowns on the California Interstates targeted at truckers, using multiple cruisers and overhead aircraft.

mlpeloquin

Not surprising - another California law that is out of touch with the world ...

For me, it's not a problem at all - just go around. There's a lot more beautiful real estate in America.

If you have driven some of the California roads we live with, you would think that 55mph was way too fast. Potholes that will jolt the heck out of your suspensions. It leaves you wondering just how bad the sections a little farther down the road were since they were patched!

SNOKING

Yes, the statewide 55 mph limit also applies to big rigs, and vehicles with 3 axles or more (like busses). I have heard of occasional speed limit clampdowns on the California Interstates targeted at truckers, using multiple cruisers and overhead aircraft.

Towing a 5th wheel at 55 MPH in California makes you an obstacle on the highway. Running at the speed that semis are running at lets you flow with traffic rather being an obstacle that they have to all get past. Chris

mlpeloquin

Towing a 5th wheel at 55 MPH in California makes you an obstacle on the highway. Running at the speed that semis are running at lets you flow with traffic rather being an obstacle that they have to all get past. Chris

I try and run at the speed of the semi trucks so long as it isn't over 60mph. If they are going 55mph, there is usually a good reason like CHP is out or a CHP aircraft has been spotted.

Abear79

Found my paperwork from dynamic tires. 905-595-5558 Ext. 507 Gabrielle.
c2523fd8affed0160279cc47fea3df3f.jpg
eeb7828c2acc6d14593088100fc3e764.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk