What is being done about Towmax Tires

Rollin_Free

I actually purchased a set of Hi Run tires for my enclosed cargo trailer but sold it before I had an idea how well they would perform. I hope you have great luck with them. I recall they looked like real solid (10 ply I think) tires. I have also purchased a set of RH "C" load range Carlisle's for my other 5er and liked them while I used them.

The Maxxis are new to me as are the newer load range "E" Carlisle's. I wish I could find a comparison between these two tires so I'm going to look a little harder at the web site. I'm pretty sure I would like the Carlisle based on past experience however I keep thinking if you always stay with what you have always done nothing will change nor will it get any better.

One thing for sure is going to happen. The TowMax tires are coming off my rig ASAP.

Rollin_Free

After a lot of thought I think I have finally decided on the 10ply "E" Carlisles. They appear to be in stock at most Discount Tire locations and if I go with Maxxis and have an issue I would either have to wait till the replacement comes in or put a non-matching replacement, probably Carlisle. Just not sure what mixing a Carlisle with Maxxis tires would do even though they look really close to the same.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
You won't go wrong with the Carlisle's....I put them on my North Trail and they showed no wear after four years. In my opinion, a super tire..
I had discount put metal valve stems, rotated and balance every 10,000 miles.

danemayer

Before placing the order, check the load capacity of the tires. Not all tires in the same load range have the same capacity. I suppose that's why they call it a range. But you'll want a weight capacity that matches the trailer requirement.

Rollin_Free

Before placing the order, check the load capacity of the tires. Not all tires in the same load range have the same capacity. I suppose that's why they call it a range. But you'll want a weight capacity that matches the trailer requirement.

Yes I have done that already. When I check the ST225/75R15 Maxxis and Carlisle's both are 10ply, "E" load, 117N, 2835lbs per tire when at correct pressure so total max weight is 11,320 lbs. From all the other numbers they appear identical unless I'm missing something. If I am missing anything please let me know. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

You won't go wrong with the Carlisle's....I put them on my North Trail and they showed no wear after four years. In my opinion, a super tire..
I had discount put metal valve stems, rotated and balance every 10,000 miles.

Yes I will make sure I don't forget this time that I need the metal stems for my TST sensors. Thanks

Last edited:

Miltp920

What is being done, we are all my paying for new tires because the manufacturer bid out to an inferior tire company to increase their profits. The good news for new buyers, I hear, is that they are not doing it anymore. When I buy my next rig, I will be paying more attention to the tires it comes with. I had not joined this forum before I bought my Cyclone, so I was not informed on the tires.

Rollin_Free

I'm continuing to research replacement tires for the Powermax currently on my trailer. I have already put the Carlisle "E" and Maxxis 8008 "E" ST type tires on the list. Last night I found the link attached below:

http://www.barrystiretech.com/sttires.html

I had given up converting to LT tires because of the max load limits for 225/75R15 tires. The information in the link shows that I could change to 225/75R16 tires and actually gain 6% more load than the ST tires and only increase diameter by about 1".

i went back to the Maxxis site and found Bravo Series UE 168N tires that are LT225/75R16. "E" load, 80psi, 2680 max load. If I understand correctly the total is 10,720 max load but the link says the LT equates to the ST max of 11,320 X 6% = 679 lbs. So that should mean that the max load for the LT tires is 11,999 lbs. and is exactly what I have been trying to find.

Has anyone else done this conversion from ST to LT based on this or similar research information? Thanks

danemayer

LT certifications require a safety margin with respect to load capacity. So if a published capacity is 1000 lbs, the certification might mean that the manufacturer tested it at 1,400 lbs without a failure. I think I've seen somewhere that the margin is 40%, but I'm not positive.

Of course, that safety margin testing is not a real-world test in actual usage over harsh road conditions.

The link you provided is basically asserting that it's ok to knowingly exceed the tire load capacity rating by intruding into the safety margin. Considering that you don't know how to translate the certification safety margin into real-world numbers, how much can you overload the LT tire before you have a problem? Who knows?

The Goodyear G614 is a tire designed for trailer usage, but certified to the LT standard. Even with the high capacity, excellent construction, and LT certification, there are still occasional failures. I'd have to think if people routinely exceeded the capacity spec, there would be even more failures.

Ignore the specs at your own risk.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I was searching, tires of course, and read on the Sailun site that they are manufactured in Qingdao China.:confused: I also checked Goodyear G614 and they are $437 each. Kinda getting mixed messages the more I read.

I got my G614s from SimpleTire.com for $304 each.

Rollin_Free

LT certifications require a safety margin with respect to load capacity. So if a published capacity is 1000 lbs, the certification might mean that the manufacturer tested it at 1,400 lbs without a failure. I think I've seen somewhere that the margin is 40%, but I'm not positive.

Of course, that safety margin testing is not a real-world test in actual usage over harsh road conditions.

The link you provided is basically asserting that it's ok to knowingly exceed the tire load capacity rating by intruding into the safety margin. Considering that you don't know how to translate the certification safety margin into real-world numbers, how much can you overload the LT tire before you have a problem? Who knows?

The Goodyear G614 is a tire designed for trailer usage, but certified to the LT standard. Even with the high capacity, excellent construction, and LT certification, there are still occasional failures. I'd have to think if people routinely exceeded the capacity spec, there would be even more failures.

Ignore the specs at your own risk.

I think I failed to accurately describe my intent because I wasn't saying I would run the trailer at max GVWR. I originally stated that I want to get a 10-20 maybe 30% increase in weight safety margin over my actual max weight with the LT upgrade. If I place an abritary reduced max GVWR of trailer that is less than the 10,700 max of the tires wouldn't that fall within the tire specs and accomplish my goal? I really don't see my actual GVWR getting above 9000 lbs so this is just under 20% of my adjusted lower GVWR of 10,500. I am not trying to, and don't want to, push the limits of the tires which would make them the weakest link.

I'm only trying to convert to LT tires and still have an improved workable trailer weight but stay within a reasonable budget. G614 do push the pocketbook however when I was looking at them they didn't come in a size that would fit my Sundance. That's why I really stopped looking at them as an option. If I am incorrect please let me know. Thanks

danemayer

You're right that GY G614 (and also the less expensive Sailun S637) tires don't come in 15" size.

Managing trailer weight to stay under the GVWR is possible, but sometimes can be surprisingly difficult. Especially if your DW is named Lucy and likes to collect rocks. :rolleyes: Seriously, we all have a tendency to add things without ever taking anything out.

In general, I think it's a good idea to match the tire capacity to the GVWR.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
My 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD came with Firestone Transforce HT tires . . .

While right now as it sits in my driveway with 34,999 miles it, the tires are close to being worn out, but I may consider the same tires on the trailer when the time comes for new tires on the trailer!

I have Hi Run ST tires on the Prowler right now . . .

Have about 3000 miles on them and so far so good!

Rollin_Free

You're right that GY G614 (and also the less expensive Sailun S637) tires don't come in 15" size.

Managing trailer weight to stay under the GVWR is possible, but sometimes can be surprisingly difficult. Especially if your DW is named Lucy and likes to collect rocks. :rolleyes: Seriously, we all have a tendency to add things without ever taking anything out.

In general, I think it's a good idea to match the tire capacity to the GVWR.

Yep I got the rocks for sure. IMHO routinely scaling your trailer is just as important as tire pressure. If a RV owner doesn't do this part it can end up with the same or worse results than low tire pressure.

I have scaled my rig a minimum of 8 times in the past year. Not because I couldn't remember but to make sure I made weight using my 1/2 ton Tundra. I was always close and had to make adjustments to meet or get within 200lbs of being right. It may seem excessive but I was new and needed to have piece of mind. Since I purchase my 2500HD it hasn't been a problem but when making decisions that cost more than $500 I gotta make sure I make the right decision the first time.

Rollin_Free

When I went to Discount Tire the other day I mentioned the Carlisle and Maxxis 8008 ST "E" series tires that I was looking at purchasing. The sales man said that the Maxxis 8008 are being phased out for a newer model but he didn't know what the new model number would be? Has anyone else heard this information?

mlpeloquin

I think I failed to accurately describe my intent because I wasn't saying I would run the trailer at max GVWR. I originally stated that I want to get a 10-20 maybe 30% increase in weight safety margin over my actual max weight with the LT upgrade. If I place an abritary reduced max GVWR of trailer that is less than the 10,700 max of the tires wouldn't that fall within the tire specs and accomplish my goal? I really don't see my actual GVWR getting above 9000 lbs so this is just under 20% of my adjusted lower GVWR of 10,500. I am not trying to, and don't want to, push the limits of the tires which would make them the weakest link.

I'm only trying to convert to LT tires and still have an improved workable trailer weight but stay within a reasonable budget. G614 do push the pocketbook however when I was looking at them they didn't come in a size that would fit my Sundance. That's why I really stopped looking at them as an option. If I am incorrect please let me know. Thanks

Until you have your rig weighed fully loaded you will not know where you stand. Each tire weighed separately. At the Goshen Rally last year we had this done. We were within 400 pounds of max weight. Within 100 pounds on all four left to right and front to rear. I was told most that were weighed were well over and up to 4000 pounds over weight. We were an exception. So do not assume you are within the rating of your tires or axles until you have it weighed properly fully loaded to the max that you will ever carry. Given weight does not include all the extra add on/upgrade equipment that is not part of the standard basic trailer. So of your trailer is basic without any upgrades, then the given weight is correct so long as you are not carrying any fresh water. (acronym: assume - to make an a*s out of you and me)