What is being done about Towmax Tires

simon

We purchased our BH 3055RL new in 2010 with the original TowMax tires. Knowing that we had till 2015, based on the DOT, to replace, we were going to replace them this Fall. We visually check our tires and pressure before each trip and have a TPMS system. On July 2 of this year, on our way out of town for a camping trip, one of the tires blew and did $3k worth of damage. It's still in the shop waiting on parts from Heartland. When the tire blew, we had the spare put on and went straight to a local tire shop to replace them. They said all were bad and replaced them with TowMax tires. When I questioned the brand, they said they are good tires. We took our fifth wheel next to the dealership for repair and they too said TowMax are good tires. These are E rated ST tires. We actually did well on our first set, but are you saying that we should change the new ones out too? This dealership has always been good on recommendations and tire quality and if I talk to them I bet we can get at least a credit. The rig has been sitting on these new tires since July 2.
I would change them , i have been a mechanic for 37 years and have never seen anthing like this to lose two tires and have a third one ready to blow , check out the DOT web site , there are many complants also this site has many complants , and there are many others , if they are such good tires how come Hartland are not useing them any more ? i have never seen tires with 18 inch buddles on the inside , I also had and tire expert look at them and he did a report for me , his report stated that it was 100% manufactureing problem even the steel cords were rusty on the inside of the rudder ? poor qualty to say the least , PS i drive at no more than 63 mph and check presure every trip , its the way i was raised :cool: Double master ASE and City and Guilds of London Master tech

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Every rv owners forum has complaints about TowMax. I would change them to something else!!

jimpav

OK already....I'm convinced, even though our's lasted 5 years. Found a bubble at the Urbanna rally and ended up with an entirely new trailer. Unfortunately, I now have a brand new set of Towmax tires.

I'm wondering if most folks buy 4 new tires , or 5 new tires?? Is it OK to keep the Tomax spare, just to use as a spare???

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
OK already....I'm convinced, even though our's lasted 5 years. Found a bubble at the Urbanna rally and ended up with an entirely new trailer. Unfortunately, I now have a brand new set of Towmax tires.

I'm wondering if most folks buy 4 new tires , or 5 new tires?? Is it OK to keep the Tomax spare, just to use as a spare???

I have kept mine for time being but will replace it soon.

GWRam

My new 17.5 are on their way, be here thursday. I spoke with numerous dealers about keeping the one towmax as a spare, since it is the same diameter as the new 17.5 tires.
From the stories I've read about the tow max and with what happened to one of our tow max a few weeks ago I wouldn't want to use or mount the towmax tire on my unit. Its as likely to go in the first mile as 3000 miles down the road you never know till it goes out on you. I don't want to worry about my tires any more. Long story to say that I went will all 5 new. No more towmax ever.

Jim.Allison

You mean you don't have to advertise them? just drive around town and landscapers will buy them. Maybe I could just pull over and set them out with a for sale sign and a couple watermelons and sell out......LOL.
Just after I had mine swapped out, I was driving down the street with the ST's in the back of the truck. Two mexicans pulling a landscaping trailer pulled up beside me. Just happened to notice the tires on the trailer were bad and that they were the same size. When we got to the next stop light I rolled my window down and managed to communicate enough with them, that I sold all 4 tires for $100.

Hbushey

Just took delivery of our new North a Trail 24BHS with a build date of July 22. We were anticipating a tire change with all the problems reported with TowMax tires. Low and behold our unit came with West Lake tires. Not sure if they are any better but maybe Heartland responded to all the problems with Tow Max and is no longer using them...

Jim.Allison

I think your should continue with your plans, lol they are made by [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans serif]Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber Company of China, who actually intentionally made a tire that was inferior and had to recall them, making a bad tire is one thing but a company that intentionally attempts to perpetrate a fraud is another. Notwithstanding that, they actually copy names of tires from other companies, such as Hercules which is a reputable tire, now made overseas, but the name is identifiable with quality. They also have a tire called GoodRide. LOL, I don't think this is a step up.....but we shall see.

[/FONT]
Just took delivery of our new North a Trail 24BHS with a build date of July 22. We were anticipating a tire change with all the problems reported with TowMax tires. Low and behold our unit came with West Lake tires. Not sure if they are any better but maybe Heartland responded to all the problems with Tow Max and is no longer using them...

Has anyone received any type of compensation for repair work due to the TowMax blowouts? We have a 2014 Bighorn. Replaced the first bubbled tire within 6 months of purchasing our RV. This past weekend, had a blowout and of course, ripped the understand of the carriage and hydraulic line. No telling yet how much that repair work will cost. While we we waiting on the tire to be changed, noticed another tire with a bubble. That makes 3 out of our 4 tires bad.

danemayer

Has anyone received any type of compensation for repair work due to the TowMax blowouts? We have a 2014 Bighorn. Replaced the first bubbled tire within 6 months of purchasing our RV. This past weekend, had a blowout and of course, ripped the understand of the carriage and hydraulic line. No telling yet how much that repair work will cost. While we we waiting on the tire to be changed, noticed another tire with a bubble. That makes 3 out of our 4 tires bad.

Hi Tammyfaust,

So far as I know, the only company covering trailer repairs for damage caused by a failed tire is Goodyear. And that's on select tires like the G614. Goodyear paid for the body work and painting on our Landmark after a G614 threw a thread last October. There have been other G614 owners who have reported the same. Never heard of any non-Goodyear examples.

I think a number of owners have submitted insurance claims under their RV Collision/Comprehensive policies.

Jim.Allison

Question, what is being done about Towmax? Answer, people are replacing them!

Last edited by a moderator:

TravelTiger

My understanding is that Towmax tires are being phased out by Heartland. But we have to realize that can't happen overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do we have to realize that it can't be done overnight? If a company is using a faulty and dangerous product in their assembly, they should stop immediately at the time they are aware of it. If that requires taking a hit on the bottom line well that is one of the risks of being in business.

I am very pleased with the overall quality of our Sundance 22res, but that doe not mean I should give Heartland a pass on using a product that can lead to property damage, or personal injury or loss of life.

TravelTiger

I'm not giving anyone a pass. I'm saying the change is in progress. And there are probably thousands of coaches already constructed in various stages of hold or delivery to hundreds of dealers all over the country. Heartland can't magically snap fingers and all Towmax tires go away.

caissiel

It's been discussed for almost 6 years and they are now thinking about it. I shame on.
Its not the only thing that should be changed.

DocFather

I'm not giving anyone a pass. I'm saying the change is in progress. And there are probably thousands of coaches already constructed in various stages of hold or delivery to hundreds of dealers all over the country. Heartland can't magically snap fingers and all Towmax tires go away.

It's called a "recall!"

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Last time I was at my dealership getting the last of the warranty repairs done, the 2014 Heartlands had just started decorating their lot.

My trailer was not done yet, so I walked around and looked at the new Heartlands for a couple of hours and noticed that the 2014's didn't have BlowMax tires on them . . . but 'Tow King' tires mounted.

Upon close inspection, they looked exactly like my BlowMax tires . . . with a new name.

Just thought I'd mention that.

TravelTiger

It's called a "recall!"

Not sure how you can justify a recall
then it would need to be industry wide, not just Heartland, as many RV manufacturers used this brand of tire.

I know there has been damage to rigs. But no wrecks, no injuries, no deaths have been reported on this forum, to my knowledge. How do you measure the exact cause of these failures to point to a specific tire? If we could, why then aren't we holding the TIRE manufacturer accountable and asking for THEIR head?