What is being done about Towmax Tires

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I just had all five BlowMax tires and wheels replace on our 2013 Trail Runner two weeks ago . . .

One week ago we decided to trade it in on a new Heartland trailer, which has five BlowMax's on it!

I took the Trail Runner to the dealership yesterday to have them put the new tires I just bought on the nice aluminum wheels that are on the new Prowler and to put the BlowMax's on the Trail Runner for the trade-in.

The people at the dealership claim they have never heard of the issues with the BlowMax tires . . . so I filled them in.

I will say that we never had any problems with the BlowMax tires that came on our Trail Runner, but after reading all of the horror stories around here . . . I couldn't wait to get them off!

Although between getting the new tires, the Colorado HOC campout last weekend, and the delivery to the dealership yesterday I only got to try out the new ride for about 80 miles!

We pick up our new Heartland next Friday.

macjj

I spoke directly to a Heartland customer service rep in 2014 at a rally in Reno. I had just encountered the problem on my 2012 Bighorn after 2 trips across the U.S. with no problems. I was warned multiple times to chuck them for anything but, but like you I encountered no issues. The heartland rep at the time stated Heartland was no longer using this type because of all the documented issues. In reflection, I believe at least my issues were brought on by excessive HEAT, however this was not acknowledged by the manufacture. I was in Ridgecrest (Desert Valley) and the outside temperature was 117 degrees. What the tire temperature was is anyone guess. I had not installed a monitoring system before that, I have one now. On our current trip, tire temperature (on the sunny side) reached 105 at times, at the same time pressure increased to over 90 lbs. I found the nearest place to pull over and lower the pressure. When we reached cooler weather, tire pressure was less than 75,, I started with 80. I think you made the right decision, and the dealer still could sell your old unit with new tires. My biggest issue was the way Dynamic Tire handled the situation. Their explanation - driving too fast and over inflated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We blew a Towmax tire on a short trip which caused over $2,000 damage to our Bighorn. Tires had less than 3,000 miles on them. Filed a complaint with Towmax and they paid $125 for the loss of one tire. Replaced all four tires with Goodyear tires which had the correct rating for the load size. I noticed that Heartland no longer uses this tire on the latest models.

Towmax examined the tire and claimed that we ran them underinflated. I know my tires were properly inflated as I checked them before and after each trip.

They still put them on the 2016 oakmont

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my case the tires were two grades weaker than what Heartland is currently putting on their units. Tells me that they are trying to solve the problem by putting stronger tire on with a higher load capacity.

JohnD

I just had all five BlowMax tires and wheels replace on our 2013 Trail Runner two weeks ago . . .

One week ago we decided to trade it in on a new Heartland trailer, which has five BlowMax's on it!

I took the Trail Runner to the dealership yesterday to have them put the new tires I just bought on the nice aluminum wheels that are on the new Prowler and to put the BlowMax's on the Trail Runner for the trade-in.

I finally just sold my BlowMax tires and wheels from the Trail Runner this past Thursday . . .

Put them on Craigslist Wednesday morning . . . sold them 24 hours later . . .

They are going on a utility trailer for a custom kitchen cabinet installer.

JanAndBill

I finally just sold my BlowMax tires and wheels from the Trail Runner this past Thursday . . .

Put them on Craigslist Wednesday morning . . . sold them 24 hours later . . .

They are going on a utility trailer for a custom kitchen cabinet installer.

I had just changed out ours, and went back to the tire shop with my other truck to get the takeoffs. On the way home I pulled up next to two Mexican lawnscapers pulling a trailer whose tires had seen better days. While we were stopped at the red light, I rolled my window down, and cut a deal. Pulled into the next parking lot after the light, and concluded the transaction. They had new tires, and I had enough to take the wife out for a night on the town.;)

oscar

I had just changed out ours, and went back to the tire shop with my other truck to get the takeoffs. On the way home I pulled up next to two Mexican lawnscapers pulling a trailer whose tires had seen better days. While we were stopped at the red light, I rolled my window down, and cut a deal. Pulled into the next parking lot after the light, and concluded the transaction. They had new tires, and I had enough to take the wife out for a night on the town.;)

Awesome! Man coming tomorrow to give me $200 for 4 used Blowmaxes........

I find this thread laughable in morbid sort of way. Not because of the content but the ignorance of Heartland to recognize they have a problem with their Towmax tires. Here is my story:

i pulled my rig out last Saturday in preparation for our trip on Sunday. As I always do, I proceeded to inspect and check the air pressure in all the tires. I found one of the tires bulging at the edge of the tread all the way around. Never seen anything like that. I took the rig over to the local tire shop and had them replace the tire and inspect the others. To my surprise, they reported that all 4 tire were showing separation to some degree. Since it was Saturday, they couldn't call the manufacturer for a warranty claim. So, I replaced 2 tires, moved the spare to replace one tire and kept the best on the rig. I spent $380 for the 2 tires. When we returned, I called the manufacturer and explained the situation. Oh, BTW, the tires had less than 3000 miles on them. The manufacturer said they would give me a prorated amount based on $120 per tire. Which turned out to be $408 total for 4 tires. So, I'm out about $360 for all 4 tires. I also called Heartland and their customer service said they couldn't do anything for me and that they have had very few complaints. Wow, they either don't read their own forum or she lied to me. I think it is the second.

Bottom line: I recommend you get rid of your Towmax tires before they damage your rig. Neither the tire manufacturer nor Heartland will stand behind them!

danemayer

I find this thread laughable in morbid sort of way. Not because of the content but the ignorance of Heartland to recognize they have a problem with their Towmax tires. Here is my story:

i pulled my rig out last Saturday in preparation for our trip on Sunday. As I always do, I proceeded to inspect and check the air pressure in all the tires. I found one of the tires bulging at the edge of the tread all the way around. Never seen anything like that. I took the rig over to the local tire shop and had them replace the tire and inspect the others. To my surprise, they reported that all 4 tire were showing separation to some degree. Since it was Saturday, they couldn't call the manufacturer for a warranty claim. So, I replaced 2 tires, moved the spare to replace one tire and kept the best on the rig. I spent $380 for the 2 tires. When we returned, I called the manufacturer and explained the situation. Oh, BTW, the tires had less than 3000 miles on them. The manufacturer said they would give me a prorated amount based on $120 per tire. Which turned out to be $408 total for 4 tires. So, I'm out about $360 for all 4 tires. I also called Heartland and their customer service said they couldn't do anything for me and that they have had very few complaints. Wow, they either don't read their own forum or she lied to me. I think it is the second.

Bottom line: I recommend you get rid of your Towmax tires before they damage your rig. Neither the tire manufacturer nor Heartland will stand behind them!
Referee222,

Tire companies provide the warranty on their tires whether on RVs, autos, or trucks. And as far as I'm aware, once you get past very early life, tire company warranties provide for a pro-rated settlement. I had a Firestone tread separation on a fairly new Toyota Sienna Van. Firestone's policy was to replace with a new tire sold at full retail price, less the pro-rated discount. The net price would have been higher than just buying the new tire at their everyday sale price.

The only company I'm aware of that does better than what their warranty promises, and that only on selected tires, is Goodyear. When we threw a tread last year on our G614, Goodyear paid full cost to replace the tire, plus the cost of the installer coming to our campground, plus the cost to repair the damage to the trailer. That tire was 4 years old and had about 40,000 miles on it.

Referee222,

Tire companies provide the warranty on their tires whether on RVs, autos, or trucks. And as far as I'm aware, once you get past very early life, tire company warranties provide for a pro-rated settlement. I had a Firestone tread separation on a fairly new Toyota Sienna Van. Firestone's policy was to replace with a new tire sold at full retail price, less the pro-rated discount. The net price would have been higher than just buying the new tire at their everyday sale price.

The only company I'm aware of that does better than what their warranty promises, and that only on selected tires, is Goodyear. When we threw a tread last year on our G614, Goodyear paid full cost to replace the tire, plus the cost of the installer coming to our campground, plus the cost to repair the damage to the trailer. That tire was 4 years old and had about 40,000 miles on it.

danemayer,

I understand the tire company's proration method of warranty coverage. But, how does 1/32 to 2/32 of wear justify only a 50% replacement cost coverage? The tires were less than 18 months old and with less than 3000 miles on them. If I got 40,000 out of a trailer tire, I would be thrilled. I just don't think there are any good trailer tires out there. I think my next tire purchase for my trailer will be LT tires.

danemayer

danemayer,

I understand the tire company's proration method of warranty coverage. But, how does 1/32 to 2/32 of wear justify only a 50% replacement cost coverage? The tires were less than 18 months old and with less than 3000 miles on them. If I got 40,000 out of a trailer tire, I would be thrilled. I just don't think there are any good trailer tires out there. I think my next tire purchase for my trailer will be LT tires.

If they examine the failed tire and make a determination that it failed due to overloading, under inflation, excess speed, hitting a curb, or road hazard, those types of failures are not covered by warranty and the pro-rated value is irrelevant. Their offer of a cash settlement is an accommodation to maintain customer satisfaction (or at least say they made an effort).

I know that some people would say that they always determine that the failure was caused by something not covered by warranty, implying that since they have a vested interest in that finding, their findings are suspect.

As far as I can tell, tire experts, manufacturers, distributors, retail outlets, insurance companies, and the government all agree that almost all trailer tire failures are caused by one of those excluded items - not by a manufacturing defect. So the tire companies have a lot of support for their findings.

On the other side of that argument, almost every owner is ready to swear that they weren't overloaded, under inflated, driving too fast, and never ever hit a curb or other road hazard. Therefore it must be a manufacturing defect.

The only way I can think of to resolve these conflicting views is to put the failed tire in the hands of an impartial third party to determine cause of failure. That would be NHTSA. And if they find manufacturing defects, they take action to help all consumers who have the defective tire.

So why doesn't everyone send their failed tires to NHTSA? Well, I'll hazard a guess that the $125 from the tire distributor is more meaningful to them than a possible determination that there's a manufacturing defect. After all, that $125 will help pay for the new tires that are needed right now.

There are a lot of people on forums who assert that these tires have manufacturing defects. If some of you put your failed tires in the hands of NHTSA, they might prove you right.

Bohemian

The bottom line is that this ongoing bad experience with Towmax tires reflects extremely badly on the credibility of Heartland RVs. Heartland RVs has the ongoing responsibility for the components it chooses to install on it's units. Choosing to continue to use components with poor reputations reflects on Heartlands reputation, quality of components, and quality of management.

We all want to see Heartland RVS to continue to succeed and grow. Reputation is invaluable.

danemayer

The bottom line is that this ongoing bad experience with Towmax tires reflects extremely badly on the credibility of Heartland RVs. Heartland RVs has the ongoing responsibility for the components it chooses to install on it's units. Choosing to continue to use components with poor reputations reflects on Heartlands reputation, quality of components, and quality of management.

We all want to see Heartland RVS to continue to succeed and grow. Reputation is invaluable.

Heartland has already done what you suggest.

Most posts here about Towmax failures were on Toy Haulers, Big Country and Bighorn. Heartland has already moved those to Sailun tires. In the future, when you buy your Bighorn, the default will be Sailun and I believe you can opt to move up to Goodyear. You'll receive the benefit of Heartland having listened to customers.

If someone would help NHTSA find a manufacturing defect, if there is one, everyone else, including those who bought from another manufacturer, could also benefit.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I recently saw a picture of a new NorthTrail plan on Heartland's FB page, so I zoomed in to look at the tires. They were "Westlake." Which is not "TowMax", so a change has occurred there, as well.

JohnD

I recently saw a picture of a new NorthTrail plan on Heartland's FB page, so I zoomed in to look at the tires. They were "Westlake." Which is not "TowMax", so a change has occurred there, as well.

I saw those Westlake tires on the 2014 North Trails and Trail Runners a couple of years ago when I was walking around the dealership while they were working on our old 2013 Trail Runner.

They looked just like BlowMax tires . . . only with a name change!

As I recall, they said 'Tow King' on the sidewall . . .

Sound familiar?

jbeletti

I've been told that Plant 10 (Trail Runner / Prowler) switched to Rainier branded tires around December 2014.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...etc If it is made in China ... etc Have you ever thought about how many defective Chinese products are aimed at the United States? Almost sounds like a conspiracy. Hmmmm