What is the downside to these weights?

creeper

My F350 is 7800 but it is a 2wd not a 4wd. When looking at tow rating usually the 4wd tow rating is less than a 2wd because the 4wd weighs more. Remember the 4wd has 2 differentials and 2 driveshafts and a transfer case that a 2wd does not have.

Actaully, no.. Ford raises the GVWR on the 4wd models. Goes to show you they built in some extra carrying capacity.

Delaine and Lindy

Drive train is the difference in the weight of a 2500HD and a 3500HD. Don't know about Fords haven't ever owned a Ford Truck. The weight situation is a never ending question. The answer IMHO is after you do the research on all the different size Trucks and the 5th wheel you want. Then you must make a decision. I will say this in many cases the driver is the major link of the chain in the decision. I always believe you must make sure your Trailer brakes are in good working condition and are properly adjusted. With our 5er I can stop the Truck and Trailer with the Trailer brakes. Now I must say I have Disk Brakes on the 5th wheel and had Disk Brakes installed on one other 5th wheel we owned. Again in my opinion any 5th wheel that weights over 13,000 lbs should be required to have Disk Brakes, then the stopping problem is taken care of. There is no adjustment on Disk Brakes. Many 5th wheels on the road today with electric brakes are not adjusted properly. I will end by saying that you can never have to much Truck. Yes I know there are many 3/4 ton Trucks that are towing over their pin weight, and that is really the key, (Pin Weight). Good Luck on your choice. GBY......