What should i expect towing in the rockies

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
You'll probably do fine, pulling in the Rockies isn't close to pulling the worst hills in TX, though. Be careful using your brakes, like has been said you don't want your brakes to overheat as then you won't have any! Instead of applying light pressure on your brakes like you would normally do, use somewhat heavy pressure to slow you down below what speed you want to go, then take your foot OFF the brake, & use the lower gears to help slow you down. Be wary, because even though the curves in switchbacks are well marked, they can sneak up on you, especially the really sharp ones. Also there are runaway truck ramps so that if your brakes do fail, you "should" be able to make it to one in an emergency. But don't use them unless it is an emergency, you'll need a tow truck to get out, and I understand the state makes you pay to repair them. People in the mountains are used to slower vehicles and for the most part have the patience when following one. If you think your brakes are starting to fade & overheating, find someplace to pull over & let them cool off.

Roy,
I agree with all your driving techniques on grades. However, I'm not sure where in Texas there are more serious grades than in the Rockies, or even the Sierras for that matter. Trace

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Roy,
I agree with all your driving techniques on grades. However, I'm not sure where in Texas there are more serious grades than in the Rockies, or even the Sierras for that matter. Trace

For some seriously albeit short in duration grades, come to the Appalachian Mountains of central PA, panhandle of MD, W Va, down into Kentucky and beyond. Numerous 6+% grades even on 4 lane divided highways....8-10% grades are also common!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Another thing to consider, is slower traffic than you, namely semi's. On a summer trip from Colorado Springs to Breckenrige, we traveled I-70 from Denver. IMHO, everyone drives too fast on that road! But when we got into some traffic due to construction, the semi trucks really struggled. And when you get behind one, you really struggle, too. Because auto traffic will pass flying by, and there's no chance to build speed for you to pass. We had to pull over a few times as our tranny temp was creeping up (this was in our 2004 GMC dually, towing the ER.)

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We pulled our previous 2013 Trail Runner through the Rockies for 2 1/2 years . . . part of that with an 18 year old Dodge Ram 1500 4x4.

The 1500, we decided, was not enough truck for the mountains.

Could pull . . . but had trouble stopping!

But the Trail Runner wasn't the issue . . . it was the truck!

You'll love your Trail Runner, by the way . . . I miss ours sometimes, although we like our new Prowler better!

If you let us know where you are going in the Rockies we might be able to give you some better routes!

NewCamperTruck-P9110306.jpg CamperJacksGulch-IMG_1575.jpg SDCampsite-IMG_0546.jpg Camping11MileSmall-IMG_0420.jpg EstesPark-IMG_2845.jpg Rifle2014-IMG_20140920_173417783.jpg NewTruckTrailerLevel-IMG_20140918_130913251.jpg RifleCO2014-IMG_2931.jpg CheyenneMntSunset-IMG_2100.jpg SunCityRV-IMG_20150122_173556536.jpg ProwlerAtArbys2015-P1000174.jpg ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg

Lynn1130

Probably right. What do I know, I've only been pulling grades with a trailer since I was 16.

I started a little earlier since Kansas allows driving at 14 for ranch and farm equipment. That makes 56 years for me. :D And Kansas is not as flat as one might think especially with a load of wheat or cattle.

The thing that I would worry about using that process to slow down would be the heat generated in the transfer case, 4 wheel drive and transmission. I am not sure that 4 low is designed to use for braking as much as for granny crawling. Not to mention how POed the people driving the vehicles behind you are going to be that they are trapped on a grade behind a vehicle going 10 mph downhill.

olcoon

Roy,

What I was saying Trace it that the hills in TX, are not​ like what they will see in the Rockies.

rkjpierce

Colorado Springs, Then plan to pull through the Rockies to Yellowstone. I love the mountains and have pulled a little pop up many times. However we are talking about a 3500 Lb difference and a lot longer of a trailer.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Roy,
Sorry, I misinterpreted the sentence. My bad, peace. Trace

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
And Kansas is not as flat as one might think especially with a load of wheat or cattle.

The thing that I would worry about using that process to slow down would be the heat generated in the transfer case, 4 wheel drive and transmission. I am not sure that 4 low is designed to use for braking as much as for granny crawling. Not to mention how POed the people driving the vehicles behind you are going to be that they are trapped on a grade behind a vehicle going 10 mph downhill.

I have heard that Kansas has some very impressive bumps in the ground.

As far as using low range 4x4 for climbing or descending mountain passes. It is common practice around here for folks with gasser or non exhaust brake diesels. BTW if 10 MPH is all you can get I'd have that checked out. In "D" or 5-6 gear folks around here reach 40 without effort. When I'm going down a mountain pass I'm thinking about getting me and mine to the bottom safety. Not worried much about the guy behind me.

The Op is a self confessed novice when it comes to towing in the mountains. My first post was made with that in mind. It is better in my opinion when learning to take things slow. As you gain confidence then go like the experts. As Roy mentioned we do have run-away ramps here and for a good reason.

dave10a

After growing up in the Rockies and working with heavy farm equipment, things become second nature including rules of the road and courtesy. Too many things to mention on this forum. I would recommend a CDL like driving school. There are many available that do not cost very much.

Lynn1130

Cody,
I had not tried 4low for anything but rock crawling so 10 mph was a guess.

So here is what I found. I can get 40 MPH in 4 WL before the tach is redlined. (5 speed Alison) While I will admit that in a pinch this might be an option for a short run I still have to wonder as to the heat generated in the transfer case, and transmission. Personally I would not recommend this to anyone coming down a long mountain grade especially a "novice". Because "folks" use it there does not mean it is good for the vehicle or an inexperience driver pulling a trailer. This option would be an emergency option and not one to plan on to navigate the mountain roads. I can only imagine what coming down the 16+ miles of 6 % grade out of Flagstaff while I was in 4WL on a major Interstate would be like. Sorry, it is just not a good or safe option IMHO and certainly not one I would recommend to a "novice". If you like it use it. I will pass.

Noofear

I have heard that Kansas has some very impressive bumps in the ground.

As far as using low range 4x4 for climbing or descending mountain passes. It is common practice around here for folks with gasser or non exhaust brake diesels. BTW if 10 MPH is all you can get I'd have that checked out. In "D" or 5-6 gear folks around here reach 40 without effort. When I'm going down a mountain pass I'm thinking about getting me and mine to the bottom safety. Not worried much about the guy behind me.

The Op is a self confessed novice when it comes to towing in the mountains. My first post was made with that in mind. It is better in my opinion when learning to take things slow. As you gain confidence then go like the experts. As Roy mentioned we do have run-away ramps here and for a good reason.
I have had four wheel drives for over 42 years and I have never seen one go 40 miles an hour in 4x4 low range. What model truck are you driving?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Noofear

I have had four wheel drives for over 42 years and I have never seen one go 40 miles an hour in 4x4 low range. What model truck are you driving?

Course the only time we use 4 wheel low in Montana is when there's a bunch of snow out so I guess maybe we wouldn't be going 40 miles an hour in 8 inches of snow

codycarver

The OP asked for some advice. I shared what I and other er.....People?? Do around here. We live in a place where it is not uncommon to gain thousands of feet in a few miles. If you don't like the advice don't use it. Doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

Last time I used this technique was on dead Indian pass dropping down into Sun light basin in winter on snowy and icey roads towing my 26 ft enclosed snowmobile trailer. I did'nt want to have to touch the brakes and I didn't. I don't remember what truck I was driving at the time but it wouldn't have made any difference. I'd do the same thing with any of them.

I have had to rebuild a transfer case though. It was sneaking up on 400,000 miles so I just chalked it up to normal ware and tear.

Noofear

The OP asked for some advice. I shared what I and other er.....People?? Do around here. We live in a place where it is not uncommon to gain thousands of feet in a few miles. If you don't like the advice don't use it. Doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

Last time I used this technique was on dead Indian pass dropping down into Sun light basin in winter on snowy and icey roads towing my 26 ft enclosed snowmobile trailer. I did'nt want to have to touch the brakes and I didn't. I don't remember what truck I was driving at the time but it wouldn't have made any difference. I'd do the same thing with any of them.

I have had to rebuild a transfer case though. It was sneaking up on 400,000 miles so I just chalked it up to normal ware and tear.
Sorry if i ruffled your feathers was just curious what model truck you're driving

codycarver

Sorry if i ruffled your feathers was just curious what model truck you're driving

No ruffling. Just trying to get the thread back on track. The OP was looking for advice not bickering. In the last 20 years or so it would be either Ford or Dodge.

whp4262

4 wheel low to control speed downhill? If it is anything like mine in 4 wheel low your top speed will be maybe 10 mph. And since you have to stop, put the transmission in neutral to shift in and out of 4wheel low, I am not sure that it a good recommendation for speed control on a highway. If you have to resort to that you probably should not be pulling anything down that hill.

It's also hard on the drivetrain and tires to run in 4 wheel drive on dry pavement.