what size of 5th wheel hitch is needed

We just ordered a new 4100 King about 2 weeks ago and I think it goes into production next week, I also just bought a new Ford F-350 DRW diesel to pull it with, it has the mount installed for the Reese Elite series drop in style hitch, is the 18,000 lb hitch large enough to handle this trailer ?? Thanks Dave:)

mobilcastle

What is the max weight of the 5ver fully loaded? Take about 20% of that weight and you will have a good idea of how much hitch you need. I would then step the hitch up over that weight.

danemayer

Hi Dave,

The 4100 King is spec'd at 18,000 GVWR and 3000 hitch/pin weight. If the hitch is spec'd for 18,000 towing, you're at capacity for pulling as long as you don't overload the trailer (which would be a problem for other reasons too). You should also check vertical load capacity for the hitch. You'll need more than 3,000 because that's the trailer pin weight without options and without any of your gear, or water, etc. Loaded, it's probably north of 3,500; could be close to 4,000 depending on how you're loaded.

dbbls59

If you get the Elite, I would go with the 25K. Seems like you would be right at the limit with the 18K.

TXTiger

Did you get the Ford Fifth Wheel Prep Package? If so you can purchase from the Ford dealer a drop in hitch that needs no installation. The wiring harness is already in the bed of the truck too. Ford has a 18K and a 25K hitch. Maybe a 20K too I am not sure. The difference in price between the 18K and 25K was not much so I got the 25K just to have extra towing capacity. My dealer even gave me a discount on the purchase of the hitch because I bought the truck from them.

Thank you every one for the replys, and yes my truck has the Elite mount in place for the Reese Signature Series 5th wheel hitch, the difference in price between the 18K and the 24K hitch is about $400.00 or so, but I think you all have helped me with a decision, think I will just go with the 24K hitch. Thanks everyone. Dave:cool:

scottyb

I'm partial to the B&W Companion, since I had one in my previous truck. They make an OEM replacement for the Reese. Do a search here and you will see how well they are rated.

Attachments

• IMG_2165.jpg
    IMG_2165.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 91
WOW, It sure pays to shop around, today I found a company out of CA., and bought the 25K Reese Elite hitch for $1,019.99, this sells every where else for just over $1,600.00, and also had free shipping. the 18K would have cost me more then this did.:angel::):cool:

Hi Jim, Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you but just been busy buying a new truck. The company that I got the hitch from is American RV Company, there phone is 626-513-4777, they are in Azusa, CA., their web site is sales@americanrvcompany.com

Last edited:
Just want everyone to know that I got the 5th wheel hitch that was shipped out of CA. I had a post about this a few weeks ago, the hitch came on time, with free shipping, I did get the 24K reese elite series, and it dropped right into the mount that had been installed in the truck, now I just have to wait for the new trailer to be built, Hartland is running a few weeks behind but they say now that it is to be on the assembly line on May 8th and should be done on the 14th, that will work out great because I will be out in Dayton Oh on the 17th for the Dayton Hamvention (I'm a ham radio operator) so I will tow it back to Minnesota then. So if you are looking for a 5th wheel hitch check out the link I posted below, they have the best price online. sales@americanrvcompany.com

taken

Just a note to anyone who wants to save even more. etrailer.com has a 110% guarantee. So, you buy from them and then send them the link to the site that sells the product for less, they refund you 110% of the difference. I got my Reese Elite 18K for about 850 that way. I too have the factory prep so I then sold the wiring harness that came with the Reese on eBay for $60 so my hitch ended up being $790.

Last edited: