What type of Tow Vehicle for 2900MK?

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
Another vote for 4WD and Diesel.
I have an 06 GMC 2500HD and it sits fine, no need for rear enhancement.

Hi there,

I agree with you, and we have for sure decided on diesel. We are looking for a truck exclusively for towing a fiver. We have a very worn and battered, yet serviceable sub compact that our dog has laid claim to ;-) that we use for everything else.

Taryn
Not sure what you're really looking for. A truck that you can drive around home normally, a truck that can pull the 2900, or one that will do both. Are you set on Gas and the amount it may use?

Here is my experience. I had a Lincoln LS that was really fast. 160 MPH on the speedo. It got 21 mpg on the highway at 70mph.

My 2006 F250 Diesel gets 18-21 mpg on the hwy at 70mph, about 15mpg in town and about 10.5 mpg pulling a Bighorn 3400 which has a 14,800 GVWR and weighs about 12,400 on the axles (have 7k axles not 6k). Your 2900 has a GVWR of 12K. I now have about 72,000 miles on my F250 and have had some minor problems which were handled with the 100,000 mile engine warranty.

If I can get the traction I could rotate the world.:rolleyes: Well almost.:D But if I were going to get a Tow Vehicle that could meet the needs of daily work and pull my trailer, I would go with a good diesel truck.

Now if you need a vehicle to go to work and you drive 50-60 miles to work, I would invest in a $5k Honda or such that got 40 mpg and drive it until the wheels fell off and then get another. I actually did that for about 20yrs to travel from Rowlett TX to Fort Worth TX every day.

Just my 2¢ worth....

Thanks everyone for all your help. Between this forum and other RV Forums I am learning heaps every day. We have to wait on our RV purchase until our house sells, but we may buy the TV now so hubby can get used to driving it. We are pretty set on a Ford Diesel F250 or F350, just not sure yet...

As for our Heartland, I want a Bighorn or Big Country, but my budget demands a Sundance extra lite ;-) All of them are such great values for the money though...

Duramax1

You sure do not need a F350 for a Sundance Extra Lite. Buy a F250 and put the money towards a regular Sundance. You will not be disappointed.

jnbhobe

F-250 is plenty for a sundance. 350 is just higher GVW and bigger tires. Everything else is the same.But there isn't much $$$$ difference between them. JON:cool::cool::cool:

IPKid

My question is so close to this thread, I hate to start a new thread. If this is a hijack, I apologize. Looking at the 2900 RK (150 lbs heavier than the 2900 MK). Have a new (09) GMC 3/4 ton 6.0 gasser with 3.73 rear end. Won't be pulling enuff to justify the Duramax but wife really likes the 2900RK. Weights look awfully close to me. Would appreciate your thoughts. Bart

jonesj2

IPKID, I pull a 2009 2900MK with a 2004 GMC 2500, 6.0 gasser, 4 speed auto trans w.overdrive and electronic controls and the 3.73 rear gear as well and have no problems at all. I have pulled it to the coast, up normal grades and had no probles at all. I will be pulling to the foothills of NC this weekend and do not anticipate any problems with the pull. The 6.0 is a strong engine and the transmission is capable of doing the job.

Just take your time and do not push it, tow in 3rd with tow haul mode engaged and you will be fine.