What we learned today

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
One good rule of thumb we have always used is; All stabilizers down (including rear), before ANY slides are opened and all slides in, before ANY stabilizers up.(After checking for open doors drawers inside etc). I did take out a drawer once, with a side in my old SOB. Now I check!

That is the best advice thats been given on this thread. The slides should only be let out or in while the trl is level and stabilized. You run a pretty good chance of knocking the slides out of adjustment if you move the rig with the slides out. I know some arent going to agree with that but its true. Frame twist when leveling, stabilizing, hooking up or unhooking can knock the slides out of adjustment while they are extended.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have a couple of lists I put together. One for DH to use outside and one for the wife (or significant other) to use inside. Unfortunately, I don't have the file with me here on the laptop, but I could re-create it from the printed copy. Works good. We arranged the tasks in the proper order of what we need to do. We have two clipboards with the lists in clear sleeves, and a dry erase markers to mark off he checkbox. Then wipe them clean for the next time we break camp. Let me know if you are interested in seeing them. They are Microsoft Word files, so you could edit them to your liking. Everyone needs to fine tune these lists to themselves.

Laurie, if you do every get a copy of the checklist I would appreaciate a copy. I really like the idea of a dry erase marker to check them off. I will work on that also. Thanks

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
I was at the Kansas City RV show today and was talking to a friend that works for NUWA and he was telling me that while hooking up one of theirs they the did the same thing with the slides and front jacks. So the issue isn't a Heartland or NUWA problem, but the manufacturer that designed the system. I think the design could be a safety issue, someone could get hurt. Also they could cause the trailer to drop on the bed rails and do some serious damage.

Was hoping to see the new Big Horns at the show, but there wasn't a single one there.

back2nature

Laurie, if you do every get a copy of the checklist I would appreaciate a copy. I really like the idea of a dry erase marker to check them off. I will work on that also. Thanks

Okay, will do. We're pretty busy on this trip right now, but I know I will have some time mid-week to re-create them for you here. If you're patient a few days, I get it to you.

back2nature

This is what's so great about this forum, is that we can learn valuable tips from what others have learned. I've learned something, and I think that was past on to a few others.

back2nature

That is the best advice thats been given on this thread. The slides should only be let out or in while the trl is level and stabilized. You run a pretty good chance of knocking the slides out of adjustment if you move the rig with the slides out. I know some arent going to agree with that but its true. Frame twist when leveling, stabilizing, hooking up or unhooking can knock the slides out of adjustment while they are extended.

Good advice here. Thanks.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Okay, will do. We're pretty busy on this trip right now, but I know I will have some time mid-week to re-create them for you here. If you're patient a few days, I get it to you.

No big hurry here. Take your time. We still have about 6 weeks till we are able to pick up the new coach. Thanks again, Michael

caissiel

This is my story and feelings.
We are in such a hurry to do modifications to our units that we forget the results of our decisions. Most companies have products available to make our life easier, so we think and it only complicates things for all the owners.
I have everything standard on my unit just like I had 17 years ago on my first unit.
The slides were all opening in series and I had to isolate their operations to make them operate selectively, manualy controled.
The hydraulic landing gears are great but have no safeties to prevent them from dropping, motorhomes have the whells front and back.
The hydraulic leveling system has been very popular but if a leaky cylinder happens the trailer frame will be twisted, no safeties, again motor home frames are truck, bus and people carrying frames.
When i have my truck on the hoist or hydraulic jack I always install supporting jacks under in case the hydraulic system fails.

More equipment you install on these unit the more maintenance you have to do to the unit, and that includes hitches, air bags, bushings, tires, hydraulics, springs, awning operators, multiple slides, appliances.

One time all I had on my RV was to keep the tires up and grease the front landing gear. Camping was fun then.

lwmcguir

The 11 is totally different. Between the gauges on your truck you probably have a green lettered odometer and DTE, etc. On the 11s, that is replaced with a 4" color LCD screen, along with a menu of a zillion different things it does. I will have to go out to the truck and fun through, but it is pretty cool. Tells you to stow the landing gear and a little cartoon of a 5th wheel showing the landing gear pops up. Tells you to check the king pin latch with a picture of a hitch. You can also name up to 17 different trailers with different brake gain controls. The truck keeps track of the mileage on the trailers and other setting you might want to have specific to that trailer. It might take me a little bit, but I will write down the list of items.

We pull a lot of different trailers and have used this feature. It really helps and is even better than I thought it would be. We have tandem dually flatbeds down to cargo trailers beside the camper.. Ford did a good thing for sure.

SilverRhino

Thanks for your post......we can all learn from each other!

We have always followed the premise of stabilizer jacks down before slides go out........slides in then jacks up. I never do anything with regards to hooking up to the truck until the very last thing.

Another thing that we find helpful is.....we each keep a two way radio with us during set up and take down......that way we are in constant communication and can check with each other as to progress.

porthole

Retired
Interesting about the slides and gear. Never thought of it but can see how it can happen.

As to checklists, I use a "notepad" on my Droid. It has a checklist feature, as I go down the list I touch the screen and it adds a check mark.

In addition to the normal stuff I also have things like:

• dog food
  • bottled water for the dogs (just a gallon for the road)
  • Stop newspaper
  • torque wrench
  • Deb's GPS
  • electric cooler
  • etc

porthole

Retired
The 11 is totally different. Between the gauges on your truck you probably have a green lettered odometer and DTE, etc. On the 11s, that is replaced with a 4" color LCD screen, along with a menu of a zillion different things it does. I will have to go out to the truck and fun through, but it is pretty cool. Tells you to stow the landing gear and a little cartoon of a 5th wheel showing the landing gear pops up. Tells you to check the king pin latch with a picture of a hitch. You can also name up to 17 different trailers with different brake gain controls. The truck keeps track of the mileage on the trailers and other setting you might want to have specific to that trailer. It might take me a little bit, but I will write down the list of items.

One thing the memory does not do is set the brakes for electric or electric over hydraulic, and I don't think it recalls the gain setting.

But the system is smart enough to turn of the reverse aid beeper if you have the trailer pigtail connected.

aatauses

Re: What we learned today--ck list

Glad no one was hurt---We have used a check list and found it really helpful---it is in Word, so if someone can give me directions to attach a Word document I will be glad to share
al

back2nature

Hi Michael and Kelly,

Here's our checklist I was talking about on one of the threads. I'm back from my trip and back at my desktop computer to get it. I am always changing it around to fine-tune it for us. So it should be easy for you to tune it to your situation. Just open it in a program that reads Word docs.

I slip each of them in clear sleeves and put them each in clipboards, with a dry erase marker taped on a long piece of cotton twine. I use the Internal one and hubby uses the External one (he had me arrange the list in order of his tasks). By now, I just scan it at each room, just to check it. Easy to forget locking shower or strapping sliding doors (on the pre-Dec. 3670's). Things on it we added, like the magnify swing away mirror attached to the bathroom cabinet, you don't have (or maybe you do), and pet stuff.

Anyway, have fun.

Attachments

• Checklist for Breaking Camp.doc
    72.5 KB · Views: 56

jjriker

Hi Michael and Kelly,

Here's our checklist I was talking about on one of the threads. I'm back from my trip and back at my desktop computer to get it. I am always changing it around to fine-tune it for us. So it should be easy for you to tune it to your situation. Just open it in a program that reads Word docs.

I slip each of them in clear sleeves and put them each in clipboards, with a dry erase marker taped on a long piece of cotton twine. I use the Internal one and hubby uses the External one (he had me arrange the list in order of his tasks). By now, I just scan it at each room, just to check it. Easy to forget locking shower or strapping sliding doors (on the pre-Dec. 3670's). Things on it we added, like the magnify swing away mirror attached to the bathroom cabinet, you don't have (or maybe you do), and pet stuff.

Anyway, have fun.

Thanks for posting that checklist. That will be very helpful. :)

Birchwood

Very good information because you never know when the combination of closing slides and operating the jacks may occur.
Normally we close the slides first but early in the morning ???