What’s the best truck to pull a BIGHORN?

Eric1234

Just an idea, if you rarely move the trailer why buy a truck at all. Just pay a company that moves rv’s to bring it where you want.

On the recommendation F450 all the way, been there done that with a SRW, the f450 with the big brakes and wide track font axle are awesome

have a good night

Eric

SNOKING

Just an idea, if you rarely move the trailer why buy a truck at all. Just pay a company that moves rv’s to bring it where you want.

On the recommendation F450 all the way, been there done that with a SRW, the f450 with the big brakes and wide track font axle are awesome

have a good night

Eric

I am sure that if wants to run for a storm, that a company that moves RV's will be johnny on the spot. Chris

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You need to do the math yourself to find an appropriate and safe tow vehicle.

I say this in every post of this nature, don't trust public opinion or a dealer, they aren't the ones that suffer in an accident!

Www.fifthwheelst.com

I don't get any monetary gain, just recommend it because it's the right thing to do: tow safely!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedy

In late Spring while moving from Midland to Kermit at lunch time we had a rear tire failure on our dually. At the time both my wire and I though it was on the Big Country but finding no damage, all tires there and with tread I walked down the passenger side of the truck to find the outer dual blown. It was at that point I was sold on duals. There was no control loss, no tail wagging, nothing. Boom!! Smack!! All done. Pulled into a oil unloading station and changed it in 102 degree temps.

As far as what truck to used truck to buy? 2005 - 2007 Chevy or GMC. All the issues worked out with injectors and cooling. No DEF, no regen, limited pollution control. Harder to find because many people know these are the ticket. As you have stated, stay away from Fords. It took them two attempts to build a decent diesel and they failed. Why go there. Dodge/Ram have the great Cummings but the older trucks don't have the Assin transmission. I went with a 2005 GMC and my MIL has a 2007 Chevy with a Bighorn. The beauty is all our stuff is paid for and has been for years.

Let the fireworks commence.

BBslider001

Any one of the big three. Go test drive and see what fits you best. They all have DEF, emissions, and are expensive. They all have crappy warranty issues and marginal customer service. My advice is to find a dealer that will treat you right and go with it. That being said, I have used all three for ranch trucks and heavy towing. The Ford 6.7 performs better hands down, but again, my opinion. My bosses have a 2016 Duramax. Comfortable? Yes. Tough? Not really. Tows better than the 6.7 Ford? Absolutely not. I won't even look at a Ram. I have towed extensively with the newer Ram and just can't stand the feel of them, but that's me.

CDN

B and B
My 2016 F 350 SRW tows our 16000 lb Bighorn. We were through a very strong wind storm last month, you would expect some moving around. No white knuckle moments like we have had with lessor trucks in the past. You state you will tow infrequently so SRW is your friend and with a short box parking is easier.

farside291

I had just slowed down going into a town when I had a gentleman pull along side me mouthing the words "You have a Flat Tire!" I immediately pulled over and checked the tires assuming it was on the trailer. Nope, it was an outside dual on the truck. I have no idea how long the tire was flat but I had been pulling fairly consistently at 65 mph for several hours before coming into that town. Point is, I had no idea I had a flat. I have close to 3500 pounds of pin weight in the bed and the truck towed it normally with no adverse affects. By the way, that is when I figured out the 3500 RAM has a tire pressure indicating system not a tire pressure monitoring system.

SNOKING

A little more research shows that his 2016 3875FB has a dry pin weight of 3010 pounds. Time he loads it he will be beyond what SRW trucks with OEM tires can handle. He would need to go to 19.5 rims and tires to handle that kind of loaded pin weight or a duallie. Chris

Last edited:

carl.swoyer

In late Spring while moving from Midland to Kermit at lunch time we had a rear tire failure on our dually. At the time both my wire and I though it was on the Big Country but finding no damage, all tires there and with tread I walked down the passenger side of the truck to find the outer dual blown. It was at that point I was sold on duals. There was no control loss, no tail wagging, nothing. Boom!! Smack!! All done. Pulled into a oil unloading station and changed it in 102 degree temps.

As far as what truck to used truck to buy? 2005 - 2007 Chevy or GMC. All the issues worked out with injectors and cooling. No DEF, no regen, limited pollution control. Harder to find because many people know these are the ticket. As you have stated, stay away from Fords. It took them two attempts to build a decent diesel and they failed. Why go there. Dodge/Ram have the great Cummings but the older trucks don't have the Assin transmission. I went with a 2005 GMC and my MIL has a 2007 Chevy with a Bighorn. The beauty is all our stuff is paid for and has been for years.

Let the fireworks commence.
My 05 Silverado Duramax LLY with the Allison Transmission.
Just had it on the computer at aGMC dealership. They checked out all drive Tran systems. They said everything was still in factory specs. Coming home to Florida I averaged 12 mpg.
c7e798a6cea6c42a8a137ec4cbc913b8.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

NYSUPstater

A little more research shows that his 2016 3875FB has a dry pin weight of 3010 pounds. Time he loads it he will be beyond what SRW trucks with OEM tires can handle. He would need to go to 19.5 rims and tires to handle that kind of loaded pin weight or a duallie. Chris

This is what I ran into w/our '15 SRW F350. Dry 5er wt was 14,000, max wt was 16,000 which is within the specs for truck. Problem was, dry pin was 2860, fully loaded pin was 3740. With those weights in mind, that equated to 7400 lbs on rear axle which was 400 lbs over axle capacity (IMO no big deal). Now, there wasn't anyone in cab of time of weighing, so add in an additional 500 lbs (yes spread between 2 axles but still need to add in). All the while, I NEVER took the tire capacity into consideration. Do believe if memory serves me right, they were rated for just over 7000 or so and I was OVER their limits by a couple hundred WITHOUT anyone in cab. If we were to just travel in the NE, mid-atlantic areas probly no problem. Problem that ate me alive was going down south (FL) this summer and things started to weigh in that put a pit in my stomach. 1. Heat generated just by themselves on tires. 2. Higher ambient air temps encountered in southern states while under motion. 3. Higher road surface temps. All combined, wasn't sitting well as I'm thinking if DW is driving and a blowout happens on rear end of truck. Makings for a not so good of a situation. My Mom always said to trust your gut instinct, so as much as it pained me to do so, went and got a dually (just got the '15 3.5 years ago). Could I have gotten away w/ the SRW? Perhaps. Many probly do. Going w/ a smaller coach wasn't happening (just got that last year). Knew when we got the coach I was over right out of the gate on truck which it was more than likely tested w/more weight but rated lower to CTA (cover their azz). BUT NEVER thought about the tires on truck.

So which truck is best? IMO, any of the big 3. All have their own issues. Everyone has their own take as to which one is best and don't know if that's what OP was looking for or not or more so a SRW vs DRW, gas or diesel. Folks have their preferences as to why they chose "X" truck w/"X" cab w/ "X" engine/drive system w/"X" SRW or DRW. IMO, many factors come into play, but in our case, going from upstate NY to middle of FL in middle of summer, I just didn't like the idea of the extra heat on SRW truck's tires and putting my families lives at stake.

SNOKING

That is why we bought the BH3575el, it has a dry pin weight of 2435. If one computes the percentage of dry pin weight using the trailer's dry weight, and then take that percentage of GVWR you will be in the ball park of what load pin weight will be. Add a washer and dryer in the front closet, add that to the pin weight estimate. Add a generator in the front compartment and add about 50 % of its weight to the pin weight.

So for the BH3575el

2435 / 13050 = 18.659 %

16,000 x 18.659 % = 2985 Pin weight estimate loaded. (that pretty close to my actual measured pin weight)

OP's BH3875FB

3010 / 13355 = 22.5384 %

16,000 x 22.5384 = 3606 Pin weight estimate loaded.

And with just 2595 CC this trailer will be quickly loaded to it max GVWR.

I could not tow this BH3875FB with my SRW RAM with 7K RGAWR.

Time for a dually!

Chris

CDN

B and B
That is why we bought the BH3575el, it has a dry pin weight of 2435. If one computes the percentage of dry pin weight using the trailer's dry weight, and then take that percentage of GVWR you will be in the ball park of what load pin weight will be. Add a washer and dryer in the front closet, add that to the pin weight estimate. Add a generator in the front compartment and add about 50 % of its weight to the pin weight.

So for the BH3575el

2435 / 13050 = 18.659 %

16,000 x 18.659 % = 2985 Pin weight estimate loaded. (that pretty close to my actual measured pin weight)

OP's BH3875FB

3010 / 13355 = 22.5384 %

16,000 x 22.5384 = 3606 Pin weight estimate loaded.

And with just 2595 CC this trailer will be quickly loaded to it max GVWR.

I could not tow this BH3875FB with my SRW RAM with 7K RGAWR.

Time for a dually!

Chris

I agree with the weights for the 3575EL. I calculated mine full loaded with full water tank at 2900 lbs my CCC is 3500 on the Ford . I am close to limit with both of us and my generator in the truck bed. DRW and 8 ft box would next upgrade if ever.

dave10a

Friends, I’m truck shopping right now.
I have a Bighorn Fifth-wheel 16,000lb gross weight.
It would be moved rarely and we live in it full time in South Florida (city).
I been looking at different trucks - but am wondering what successes you all been having pulling heavy fifth wheels. What truck do you use? SRW? DRW? 4x4? 4x2? 350, 250, 3500?... etc etc.
THANKS A MILLION!
:)

My F350 SRW does a great job pulling my 16200# trailer. Everything is with in Fords spec but the Combined weight which is 200# over with full fuel, passenger, generator and tools in the bed. However, I run with empty gray an black water tanks with less than 1/4 fresh water. The new 2017-18 F350 SRW allows a combined weight of near 28000# which is approx. 600# over my 2012. Ford beefed up the frame and some other things with the weight saving of an aluminum body. I don't know what GM and Ram are doing these days and I suspect they are competitive. They all have more torque and HP, but my truck is able to perform beyond my expectations in the mountains and etc.
The reason I have the SRW is it fits in my garage and handles well in tight spots and snow.

Gallim01

Looking for assistance in buying a truck to pull my 2015 3875FB.

Mostly driving around Ohio on weekends but would like the confidence to pull through Tennessee hills and WV. Would you recommend going to a F450 or is a 2005 F350 DRW sufficient. The truck is also short bed which I realize I would need a slider.

Thoughts?

3875FB is

Dry - 13350
GVWR - 16000
Hitch-3010

Thanks in advance!

CoveredWagon

Looking for assistance in buying a truck to pull my 2015 3875FB.

Mostly driving around Ohio on weekends but would like the confidence to pull through Tennessee hills and WV. Would you recommend going to a F450 or is a 2005 F350 DRW sufficient. The truck is also short bed which I realize I would need a slider.

Thoughts?

3875FB is

Dry - 13350
GVWR - 16000
Hitch-3010

Thanks in advance!

How short is that short bed, they vary with different brands ? Not necessarily do you need a slider, there are other options. I wouldn’t use anything less than a one ton diesel.