What's your favorite carry weapon?

Lynn1130

You should shoot it BEFORE you depend on it

I doubt that there are many carrying weapons that they have not practiced with but I want to be a long way from anyone who has not trained with the weapon they are carrying.

I highly recommend that part of your carry training be tactical "shooting house" training. It is pretty easy to punch holes in targets at a range and do well. Under severe pressure it becomes much more difficult to hit what you are aiming at, remember how to reload, and how to clear malfunctions. If you cannot do all of those while continuing to assess the threat you should not be carrying.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt that there are many carrying weapons that they have not practiced with but I want to be a long way from anyone who has not trained with the weapon they are carrying.
I think that there are many that carry that do not train.
I know a person that informed me she got a gun for self protection. When I questioned her on her purchase she didn't know what kind of gun she had or the caliber nor has she ever shot it. But, she informed me, "I did take a class".
They walk among us.

Peace
Dave

avvidclif

On the hand cannon I haven't shot it, yet.

You should shoot it BEFORE you depend on it - for two reasons: sometimes they don't consistently go bang and other times the operator isn't as familiar with it as they should be.
Get to the range and feed it several hundred rounds of your preferred ammo. If you change over to another ammo then start anew, several hundred rounds without ANY failure.

An actual 'need' for the gun is not the time to experiment.

I haven't shot it yet as I hope for the box and if it comes in it will be an investment, not a carry. If not then I may shoot it, who knows. Since I have been a firearms instructor and PPC shooter I think I'm more than a little familiar with a revolver.

Fox

A heavily modified G43 has now been my summertime carry for several years - but I now believe there are two better choices (M&P Shield, Sig P365).

I often experiment with new carries but the one thing that hasn't changed (in several years) is my winter carry piece - an HK VP9. It just fits me very well.

YMMV.

9-larry

380 ruger have a judge for trailer don't want to hit somebody in another trailer as done at Texas motor speedway. the judge does fire a 45 and 410.

9-larry

When I get paranoid enough to get a gun for self defense, I will choose the Taurus "the judge" hand gun that shoots .410 shotgun or .45 colt. Meanwhile I will use my .44mag Black Hawk for target and fishing (scare off the grizzlies with cubs) in the Rockies. The .44 mag has too much recoil for sustained target shooting. I am thinking of getting Sig Saur P320 for target shooting now that they have resolved the feeding problem.
you are very right, the people that carry the large cal guns for self defense need to understand that if your shot goes through the bad guy and hits a bystander you are going to jail!!

avvidclif

you are very right, the people that carry the large cal guns for self defense need to understand that if your shot goes through the bad guy and hits a bystander you are going to jail!!

Please provide instances where it happened.

Fox

I have much greater concern about shooters (myself included) not hitting their intended target than I do with over-penetration.
Quality hollow points have greatly mitigated that concern.

While I do practice - being under a life/death pressure situation would be different.

donr827

I have much greater concern about shooters (myself included) not hitting their intended target than I do with over-penetration.
Quality hollow points have greatly mitigated that concern.

While I do practice - being under a life/death pressure situation would be different.

Even the police will miss the intended target quite often. Although I practice once a week I would have to fear for my life before shooting at someone. If you miss your targeted shot you could be in big trouble.

travlingman

Came across a good deal on a Springfield XD Mod 2 subcompact 45 that I couldn't refuse. Came with two 13 round clips and one 9 round. The 9 round is a flush mount. Got a new Alien holster and found it to be very comfortable to carry.
mod2.jpg

Lynn1130

And most carrying do not know how true that statement is. That is why, I have more than once in these threads suggested that rather than going out to the range, or some back field and punching holes in targets everyone who is carrying spend the time and money to do some high stress, shooting house training. Most police misses are caused by stress shooting. This training should and probably will include some running, reloading, and correct target selection or shoot/don't shoot situations.

Fox

Two weeks ago I purchased this Sig P365; it's not yet been elevated to carry, much less favorite carry.
But it's a contender.

Attachments

• 20190503_105314.jpg
    20190503_105314.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 46

Tsys100718

I have what may be termed as a dumb question!
Since it seems that the overwhelming majority of campgrounds now a days have some sort of prohibition against firearms, am I the only person who flat out refuses to stay in a non 2A considerate campground?
I have had to choose not to attend several state and regional rallys because of these violations of my rights. And yes, I understand that campgrounds are private property and as such have the right to prohibit firearms.
Just a thought!

- - - Updated - - -

And most carrying do not know how true that statement is. That is why, I have more than once in these threads suggested that rather than going out to the range, or some back field and punching holes in targets everyone who is carrying spend the time and money to do some high stress, shooting house training. Most police misses are caused by stress shooting. This training should and probably will include some running, reloading, and correct target selection or shoot/don't shoot situations.

All VERY good suggestions. Even old combat vets should continue to get their adrenaline levels elevated sometimes! I guess that I'm lucky since two of my local ranges offer this type of stress level and shoot/don't shoot training and practice.

I have what may be termed as a dumb question!
Since it seems that the overwhelming majority of campgrounds now a days have some sort of prohibition against firearms, am I the only person who flat out refuses to stay in a non 2A considerate campground?
I have had to choose not to attend several state and regional rallys because of these violations of my rights. And yes, I understand that campgrounds are private property and as such have the right to prohibit firearms.
Just a thought!

- - - Updated - - -

All VERY good suggestions. Even old combat vets should continue to get their adrenaline levels elevated sometimes! I guess that I'm lucky since two of my local ranges offer this type of stress level and shoot/don't shoot training and practice.

I would like to know; WHY; you even should let anyone know that you are carrying a weapon? It is "No Body's Business" what you have on our person. A Police Officer is the only one that has the right to question you; whither or not you have any weapons on you. "No Body" else has that right. So if a campground makes that statement and "You Want" to stay there. You Do Not Have To Tell Them Anything. You are the only one who knows if you have a weapon or not... You do not have to tell anyone or business; if you do not want too...

Last edited by a moderator:

LewisP

My carry weapon is a Sig 239 40 cal, 7 in the mag plus 1 in the pipe. I use defensive rounds to carry and ball ammo for fun. My wife doesn't even know when I'm carrying, good concelment. Michigan is open carry which is a lot easier to wear than conceld carry.