Wheel Balancing?

GregP

I am ordering a set of Sailun tires for our BH and asked for prices including balancing and steel valve stems. One of the tire dealers said they never balance trailer tires, and the other was willing to do it, but also said that they didn't usually balance them. Any opinions either way on this? The extra cost for balancing is minimal, so I don't mind paying if there is any real benefit.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The dealership that said they don't balance the tires probably don't have a tire balancer, which is why they don't do it.

Get them balanced . . . you won't regret it!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Years ago I had a tire guy tell me the same thing. I asked what if I don't balance them, he said, oh you might wind up with a couple extra loose screws.
Great, just what I need, more loose screws. Guess he forgot about the abnormal tire wear.
I had them balanced.
Jnbhobe said it right.

Peace
Dave

GregP

Thanks for the replies. When I was getting the quotes, I requested price including balancing and was actually surprised that they would offer it without. My first thought was "why wouldn't I balance the tires?" but I thought I would ask anyway. I will get them balanced. BH is still buried in the snow, so it will be at least a couple of months before we can get back on the road. Sooooooo jealous of those of you who are still out there with your rigs.

hoefler

An unbalanced tire hopping down the road is more prone to lock up when the brakes are applied.

cfulton

Ditto the beads-----cheap + have used for years truck and all my trailers (even golf cart trlr) no problems used one time on tuck tires that could not keep balanced with perfect results for another 60,000+ miles.

GregP

I think I will opt for the standard balancing with the weights. It is something I am familiar with and has been around for a while. Besides...you can always melt the weights down and mold bullets when the Zombie Apocalypse comes. At least that is what my Grandkids tell me.

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I am ordering a set of Sailun tires for our BH and asked for prices including balancing and steel valve stems. One of the tire dealers said they never balance trailer tires, and the other was willing to do it, but also said that they didn't usually balance them. Any opinions either way on this? The extra cost for balancing is minimal, so I don't mind paying if there is any real benefit.

Strange....when we purchased our new BH tires I requested they all be balanced...no questions asked, it was done. Maybe you should reconsider purchasing your tires from a dealer that doesn't balance tires.

GregP

I suspect that the dealer I spoke with was just referring to usual practice in this area of the country. I live in Northern Ontario Canada and the roads are notoriously bad. I thought the Alaska Highway was pretty decent when we drove up that way. The dealer(s) are both with nationwide chains and sell everything on rubber from truck tires to loaders etc. I know that they can do the job, I was just surprised that balancing was an option.