wheel bearing dust covers

diamondl

I went out to grease the bearings on our 2013 Bighorn, for our winter trip and much to my surprise, one wheel didn't have the dust cover. Now I looked and looked and I just don't see how it could have fallen off and then left the area. I think they sold it this way. Kind of disappointing!!! Has anybody ever heard of this before?
L&L

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
How long have you owned it? New or used when you got it? Dealers sometimes cannibalize stock units to sell another that's missing parts. Maybe the Fugarwee tribe got to yours. Or it was loose and just fell off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoefler

If you don't have some kind of hub cap to contain it, a loose wheel bearing will knock off the dust cover. Just a thought.

diamondl

How long have you owned it? New or used when you got it? Dealers sometimes cannibalize stock units to sell another that's missing parts. Maybe the Fugarwee tribe got to yours. Or it was loose and just fell off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bought it new (longmont, colorado) just a little over a year ago.
and i don't think it could have gotten out of the cage created by the drum and wheel.
L&L

TxCowboy

I guess it's possible it just worked its way loose and fell off on the road. I just had my wheels off yesterday to have new tires installed and that cover was removable only from the inside of the wheel.

It is only held in place by a small flange so, again, it is possible that it worked loose.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I guess it's possible it just worked its way loose and fell off on the road. I just had my wheels off yesterday to have new tires installed and that cover was removable only from the inside of the wheel.

It is only held in place by a small flange so, again, it is possible that it worked loose.

We lost a hub cap on our Trail Runner somewhere between Las Vegas, NM and Holbrook, AZ three weeks ago, and as it turned out, it was when the axle end cap blew off that took the hub cap with it.

I stopped at the nearest Camping World to get a replacement hubcap as I didn't like that grease and hub exposed to the elements . . .

The service manager walked out and looked right at the wheels to determine which hub cap I needed, then sold me said hub cap and a couple of other items!

Had the service manager at the Flagstaff, AZ Camping World known his stuff, he never would have let us leave his parking lot as a couple hundred miles on the trailer later . . . we lost a wheel bearing and brake assembly resulting in a two day loss of our vacation and $1000 repair bill in Phoenix!

When the snow stops, I'll take a picture of the wheel with the hub end (not sure what they call it) . . .

Here is a shot I took in the parking lot of the Flagstaff, AZ Camping World:

CamperAt CWFlagstaffAZ.jpg CamperAt CWFlagstaffAZwheels.jpg

lwmcguir

I went out to grease the bearings on our 2013 Bighorn, for our winter trip and much to my surprise, one wheel didn't have the dust cover. Now I looked and looked and I just don't see how it could have fallen off and then left the area. I think they sold it this way. Kind of disappointing!!! Has anybody ever heard of this before?
L&L

If your wheel cap was still on then it wasn't installed at the factory most likely. As the other poster noted if it comes off going down the road you have a big problem with the axle, bearing or hub.

Lynn1130

Just for info John, and others traveling through Flagstaff, there is a Heartland dealer with a parts store and repair facility just off I-40 in east Flagstaff. Next to the Mall. Flagstaff RV. Camping World is west of Flagstaff at Bellmont, AZ. Just in case you are traveling through and can't find it in Flagstaff.

JohnD

Just for info John, and others traveling through Flagstaff, there is a Heartland dealer with a parts store and repair facility just off I-40 in east Flagstaff. Next to the Mall. Flagstaff RV. Camping World is west of Flagstaff at Bellmont, AZ. Just in case you are traveling through and can't find it in Flagstaff.

I think I remember seeing that dealership when we drove by . . . wish I had stopped there instead!

Maybe they would have caught my impending wheel bearing blowout and gotten us fixed up before the whole hub and brake assembly got smoked.

JanAndBill

We lost a hub cap on our Trail Runner somewhere between Las Vegas, NM and Holbrook, AZ three weeks ago, and as it turned out, it was when the axle end cap blew off that took the hub cap with it.

I stopped at the nearest Camping World to get a replacement hubcap as I didn't like that grease and hub exposed to the elements . . .

The service manager walked out and looked right at the wheels to determine which hub cap I needed, then sold me said hub cap and a couple of other items!

Had the service manager at the Flagstaff, AZ Camping World known his stuff, he never would have let us leave his parking lot as a couple hundred miles on the trailer later . . . we lost a wheel bearing and brake assembly resulting in a two day loss of our vacation and $1000 repair bill in Phoenix!

When the snow stops, I'll take a picture of the wheel with the hub end (not sure what they call it) . . .

Here is a shot I took in the parking lot of the Flagstaff, AZ Camping World:

View attachment 34692 View attachment 34693

John, unless I'm mistaken, the chrome hub caps are purely decorative. Hub end caps/dust shields are press fit into the end of the hub. It's hard to tell for sure, but it looks to me like in the second picture you are not only missing the decorative hub cap, but hub end cap as well. If that is the case then the dealer should have noticed that and informed you. However, you as the owner and the one who ultimately pays the bill should study some of the many information links on this forum to make yourself familiar with your unit so that you will be in a better position to catch things that seem out of place. Not being smart here, but it is an unfortunate fact that just because someone works at a location, doesn't mean they are any smarter than the average guy on the street.

Lynn1130

One little item that I try to do every so often while stopped for fuel is to lay a hand on the hub covers to test temps. Not fool proof but it just might catch a bearing that is getting too warm.

wdk450

While in Elkhart/Goshen for the 2013 National rally, I stopped in at Tredit tire (Heartland tire/wheel supplier) about my missing dust cap on one axle. They gave me one for free!

brianharrison

Dust caps over the axle castle nut (large nut holding the drum/bearings onto the spindle) can work their way off while travelling down the road. Usually because they have not been installed correctly; if the dust cover flange is not bottomed out on the drum all the way around, this may cause a wobble when rotating, working it loose and ultimately falling off. Or if the dust cover has been damaged/mangled when it was removed and reinstalled, or possibly when it was originally installed.

I replace dust covers with new ones each time I remove one for bearing inspection/repack. I have found the flange can get damaged, or the interference lip on the inside can get damaged with removal. A new one is cheap insurance to make sure the dust cover fits correctly.

If the wheel has a decorative cover over the spindle/dust cover end, it should be contained in the decorative cover, which itself may come off it is held on with only interference (ie pressed on) fit.

My thoughts.

Brian

JohnD

John, unless I'm mistaken, the chrome hub caps are purely decorative. Hub end caps/dust shields are press fit into the end of the hub. It's hard to tell for sure, but it looks to me like in the second picture you are not only missing the decorative hub cap, but hub end cap as well. If that is the case then the dealer should have noticed that and informed you. However, you as the owner and the one who ultimately pays the bill should study some of the many information links on this forum to make yourself familiar with your unit so that you will be in a better position to catch things that seem out of place. Not being smart here, but it is an unfortunate fact that just because someone works at a location, doesn't mean they are any smarter than the average guy on the street.

That is exactly what I was saying . . .

I had never had the decorative hub caps off, so when I saw that the hub cap was missing, I didn't realize that the axle hub cover was missing also, until it was too late!

It was while I was sitting along the side of the road after we pulled over when a passing motorist pointed to the tires while he was driving by that I popped both hub caps off of the tires on that side and I noticed that the back wheel bearing had this chrome piece that stuck out about three inches (hub cover), which is what is missing on the front tire in the photos (same shot, second is a crop in on the tires).

That missing hub is what I would have thought that the service manager at Camping World should have noticed and not just sell me the decorative hub cap to cover it back up, then send me on my way.

CamperAt CWFlagstaffAZ.jpg CamperAt CWFlagstaffAZwheels.jpg

JanAndBill

That missing hub is what I would have thought that the service manager at Camping World should have noticed and not just sell me the decorative hub cap to cover it back up, then send me on my way.

John forgive me if I misunderstood, but I thought the picture you posted with one hub cap on and one off was at Camping World, and I assumed that you took the picture. In that picture it appears that the dust cover is missing, which should have been noticed by both you and the parts person. My oldest son bought his first RV (used) last year, a 21' TT. One of the things he did on his checklist of service items, when he pulled it home was to check and repack his wheel bearings. It's not a hard job, and it's the cheapest form of insurance you can get. Another part of routine towing is every time you stop, to do a walk around. Kick the tires, and lay your hand on the hubs. If it doesn't feel right or look right, verify and check it out. The few minutes spent doing this will save you time and dollars down the road.

JohnD

John forgive me if I misunderstood, but I thought the picture you posted with one hub cap on and one off was at Camping World, and I assumed that you took the picture. In that picture it appears that the dust cover is missing, which should have been noticed by both you and the parts person. My oldest son bought his first RV (used) last year, a 21' TT. One of the things he did on his checklist of service items, when he pulled it home was to check and repack his wheel bearings. It's not a hard job, and it's the cheapest form of insurance you can get. Another part of routine towing is every time you stop, to do a walk around. Kick the tires, and lay your hand on the hubs. If it doesn't feel right or look right, verify and check it out. The few minutes spent doing this will save you time and dollars down the road.

I did take the photo . . . and it was in the parking lot of the Flagstaff, AZ Camping World.

I do check the hub caps every time I stop while on the road.

What you are not understanding is the fact that there is an inner hub cap that is part of the axle that covers the wheel bearing that is missing in that shot.

That is what blew off and then took the decorative hub cap off with it.

I had never seen the trailer with the decorative hub caps off, which is why I didn't realize that there is a part of the axle missing . . .

And is something that anyone who holds the job as a service manager at an RV dealership should have noticed right away!

I will be home tomorrow, so I'll take a photo of it and post it here then.

JanAndBill

I did take the photo . . . and it was in the parking lot of the Flagstaff, AZ Camping World.

I do check the hub caps every time I stop while on the road.

What you are not understanding is the fact that there is an inner hub cap that is part of the axle that covers the wheel bearing that is missing in that shot.

That is what blew off and then took the decorative hub cap off with it.

I had never seen the trailer with the decorative hub caps off, which is why I didn't realize that there is a part of the axle missing . . .

And is something that anyone who holds the job as a service manager at an RV dealership should have noticed right away!

I will be home tomorrow, so I'll take a photo of it and post it here then.

John I have a very good understanding of most everything about the operation of my trailer, choosing to do the maintenance myself rather then rely on the someone who might or might not know what they are doing. Grease caps or dust covers do not blow off. They are a tight press fit into the hub. They can be installed improperly which might allow them to fall out, it was never installed by the factory, or as someone else pointed out it may have been cannibalized by a dealer before you picked up the trailer (which would be dumb because they are so cheap). Just because a grease cap came off doesn't mean the bearing fails immediately. It takes awhile for moisture and grit to work it's way into the bearing. That's what causes the bearing to fail. If you've never complied with the service recommendations for the axles, or as you stated never had the decorative hub caps off, then it's hard telling how long your wheel bearing was unprotected. Even if the service manager "had" replaced the grease cap there was no guarantee that significant damage to the bearing had already occurred. Frankly had it been my trailer, as soon as I saw the missing grease cap, I would have pulled the hub, cleaned everything up, checked the bearings, and repacked the grease. I realize that not everyone has the mechanical aptitude or the willingness to do their own mechanical work, but at the least they should have a basic understanding of how things work and aware of the service recommendations for their specific model. By doing so you will save yourself many unexpected repairs down the road.

lwmcguir

Dust covers can and do blow off when something is wrong. Have had this happen a couple of times over the years. One trailer was out of alignment and created a lot of heat in one hub. The other had a defective bearing. I had the first one come off again on the way to or shop after I had personally installed it on the road and knew it was a very tight fit. Bottom line is something has to be wrong for this to happen.

Jim.Allison

Screen Shot 2015-02-18 at 1.14.55 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2015-02-18 at 1.13.53 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2015-02-18 at 1.10.32 PM.jpg
Wheel bearing grease cap, Trailer center cap, and wheel cover or hubcap.

Am I mistaken that he OP found his "Trailer center cap missing and was wondering how it got away? All I can say about that is that they are cheap and rattle a lot. It is not inconceivable that it fell out, if it managed to get cock-eyed, I can see how it could just give up and fly off. I put a single wrap of teflon tape around it so that when installed it formed a kind of "O" ring. I found that it was sufficient to stabilize the "trailer center caps" so far so good, they don't rattle.

Then a second member commented on losing his wheel cover/hubcap and wheel bearing grease cap? I think he is suffering from a "red herring" here. He did not lose his "wheel bearing grease cover" because the bearing failed, but rather the bearing failed because the "wheel bearing grease cover" was not present and that, what little grease was present, melted, and left the bearings which subsequently caused the bearing failure. The wheel cover or hub cap shook loose because the wheel was wobbling and the vibration kicked it off. This does not negate the fact that a good parts man at a dealership should have recognized that something might be wrong and offer the assistance of the maintenance department. Funny they want to sell us stuff that we don't need and they do not step up to the things we do need.

One member commented that he checks hub temps. The laser infrared tool that we should all be carrying is very useful to to check hubs, tires, engine temps. But in addition to the hub temp check, I'm a firm believer of grabbing the top of the wheel/tire and do a kind of pull that requires you do a deep knee bend and pull, then a push in order to gauge the amount of play in the bearings. There should be a barely detectable amount of play on a hot bearing. Using this method you should be able to tell if there is a problem with a bearing. If you can move that hub, then you got a problem. This is a vigorous attempt to move the wheel on the axle, so dont toy with it when you do it.

Just my two cents.