Wheel chocks for bh 3610re

GWZ1948

In an attemp to equip our future Fifth Wheel I have begun to accumulate various items here and there to soften the expense load at purchase time. Currently in the market for wheel chocks - can any current owner provide me with the wheel spacing on the BH 3610RE? I have seen several home-made models and would like to build my own. Need that wheel spacing to build them correctly!
Thanks in advance to the reponders...

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
GWZ, The spacing between wheels may vary a little from rig to rig but 3 to 3-1/2 inches should be a good guess. I would consider using the yellow plastic chocks or chocks of your choice, in addition to chocks between the wheels. The chocks between the wheels do help with stability but the fore and aft chocks may be a better choice to prevent accidental movement when hooking and unhooking the rig.

rebootsemi

I tried to come up with a set of chocks that would fit between the tires on the ground and that would fit tight, too much hassel bought a set of the X-Chocks and two of the old style black rubber chock blocks at a truck stop which are a 100 times better than the plastic cheapo's. The X-Chocks are not really designed to keep you from pushing the camper with your truck as Ray states they are great in taking out the movement when parked. Another thing to remember is that your trailer has no parking brakes so when you are unhooked it will roll and slide on the landing legs. I actually saw one move about 20 ft at a very un-level campground, very helpless feeling watching a guy's trailer slide down the hill.

Wharton

We use 2 4x4 chunks of wood, trim off a little on one corner at a 45, put in an eye bold in each and rope them together. We always put them on the back wheel so when we hitch up we just need to pull forward a little to release them. Simple, inexpensive solution.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Did you order your Bighorn with Level-Up. If you did save your money on anything in between the tires. They fall out anyway if your level point has weight off the axle. Wood blocks or the plastic chocks are good to ensure it stays where you put it.

GWZ1948

Now, that's what I'm talkin' about! Home-made and under a 10 spot!!
Good job irvin56 - you got me thinking now!

irvin56

weight wise. not really that bad. 4x6 12' long x 2 plus jack. wild quess 25 lbs??? thing is they store nicely in the milk crate

They did not have the roto chuck for the wide trax when I made these. they just came out with them this last year. and I was not going to spend $ 80 and up for anything that would work. these do the same thing. The tires do not move at all.
and the home made ones that go in between top and bottom of tires would be hard to put in place and 3 times the weight. so I came up with this setup

before I built these I saw the one step chocks in the RV store and they wanted $85.00 for them. that's what got me thinking of doing my own.

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

weight wise. not really that bad. 4x6 12' long x 2 plus jack. wild quess 25 lbs??? thing is they store nicely in the milk crate

They did not have the roto chuck for the wide trax when I made these. they just came out with them this last year. and I was not going to spend $ 80 and up for anything that would work. these do the same thing. The tires do not move at all.
and the home made ones that go in between top and bottom of tires would be hard to put in place and 3 times the weight. so I came up with this setup

before I built these I saw the one step chocks in the RV store and they wanted $85.00 for them. that's what got me thinking of doing my own.
Yeah, I hadn't considered the wide wheel gap on your suspension. That does make it a bit more of a challenge to DIY.

Ray LeTourneau

I finally got around to taking a picture of my home made chocks. I use these between Goodyear G614's and there is a 3" gap between the tires. The wood is 4X4 treated and the top (long) dimension is 6-7/8" and the bottom (short) is 4-1/8". The 1/2" threaded rod is 18" long.

Attachments

• Home made chock.jpg
    Home made chock.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 34

SilverRhino

I made a set very similar to Ray's and they worked great for us........Then I found a pair of Roto Choks offered on a CTD forum I follow for $25! I snatched those up very quickly.....Like brand new......Gave the home made set to my brother.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
This topic has been around the block a few times lately
I have used these for years. They work well and last forever. (Not cheap plastic.) Used by all major utility companies.
I carry 4 of them. They are versatile and can be used on the TV, as well. Can't do that with X-chocks.

Plus, after having alignment issues on an SOB, I am leery about binding the axles on my rig with x-chock type devices. JMHO.

http://www.awdirect.com/low-clearanc...scotch-blocks/

Make sure you get the one's like this to fit you tires. Many of the chocks I see now, are very tall and will not fit light duty tires. Seems they are made more for semi sized tires.​

GWZ1948

In an attemp to equip our future Fifth Wheel I have begun to accumulate various items here and there to soften the expense load at purchase time. Currently in the market for wheel chocks - can any current owner provide me with the wheel spacing on the BH 3610RE? I have seen several home-made models and would like to build my own. Need that wheel spacing to build them correctly!
Thanks in advance to the reponders...

Just received my requested information from the fine folks at Hearland!! Thanks Kary! If anyone needs this information for any reason -
center hub to center hub - 35 inches

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I made these a few years back. They were around $4 for each and they work great. They are easy to store and do not take up much room. You can hand tighten them or with a few turns with a wrench, they are solid.

Attachments

• 100_0416.jpg
    100_0416.jpg
    604.7 KB · Views: 25