Wheels Not Spinning

SPARKY65

Big Country 3150RL , Have Dexter Nev/R/Adjust brakes on rig . Jacked up the camper to test wheels and the wheels were difficult to spin very tight. Went to the opposing side did the same spin on the tire and it also was very tight. Or should I say a lot of drag. Is this normal?? Have not been on the roadway much only 15 miles. Planning to do highway travel this week. Concerned about the wheels not spinning. New owner of Heartland Big Country Rig. Please advise A.S.A.P.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Wheels Not Spinningn

How long has your rig been sitting? If it has been idle for a long time the brake drums could be rusted causing the drag you described,
If you can, hitch up and take if for a little ride using the manual lever for the brake controller to get the brakes shoes against the drum to rub off the rust.
If that doesn't help you might want to adjust the brakes.

Peace
Dave

SPARKY65

Re: Wheels Not Spinningn

How long has your rig been sitting? If it has been idle for a long time the brake drums could be rusted causing the drag you described,
If you can, hitch up and take if for a little ride using the manual lever for the brake controller to get the brakes shoes against the drum to rub off the rust.
If that doesn't help you might want to adjust the brakes.

Peace
Dave
Thanks Dave, but, we have owned it for 6 weeks, before that it was in a showroom and before that outside at the camping dealers store. I do not know how long it was idle. We drove it home with our Ford F350 Diesel Lariat 2016 and a Reese hitch. The wheels were rolling to get home could not tell if they were not. Then two days later we drove the fifth back up to the dealers. Why you ask? : We have had issues with the appliances so it hasn't been on the road at all its been back and forth to the dealers getting items fixed. I am just DISGUSTED and Tired of it all. This fifth wheel was suppose to be a high end and a upgrade from the other fifth we had.(a G.D. Reflection ) So disappointed.:(

rxbristol

I had one wheel that was too tight and one too loose when our rig was new. I adjusted the brakes to solve the problem.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Why don't you have the dealer check and adjust the brakes?? What is the build date of your unit?? My BH does the same thing after it sets for long periods of time. Its normal for brake drums to rust when not in use. Pull some drums off a car that has been setting...same thing. Rusty drums are not a HL issue....just part of life owning a vehicle with drum brakes.

Gary521

The electric brakes are supposed to be adjusted so they provide a little drag on the wheel. If the wheel spins "freely" with no drag, the adjustment is incorrect. However, if the drag is a lot the same is true. If you are uncomfortable in checking this, have the dealer do this. Newer brakes are self adjusting and could have been misadjusted from the start.

SPARKY65

Re: Wheels Not Spinning/ Horray fixed!

Well after talking to the dealer, he sent out a service person to do an examination of the problem this morning at 9:30 A.M.Thanks to the forums online that he looked at last night and came to the conclusion of the need of adjusting the brakes. It took him about an hour at most to check all 4 tires/brakes and discovered that from the manufacture they did not adjust the brakes right. Also if they were towed/dragged to the dealers the process of auto adjusting did not happen. He adjusted the 4 brakes/ tires with success. All tires are spinning, brakes working as they should now I can be off on the road. I appreciate and thank all of the comments and suggestions. Be well and keep the wheels turning underneath you!:):)

Gary521

Self adjusting brakes need to be manually adjusted after they are installed. After that, they should be fine. However, if they are overadjusted to the tight side, they are not going to self adjust back to correct location as you found out.

dave10a

Improper brake adjustment or tight bearing pre-load will cause drag. If the bearing pre-load is not set properly, expect the wheel bearing will over-heat and cause some serious damage which could mean a loss of the wheel. If the brakes are dragging the drums will also heat up causing glazing of the brake shoes and loss of brake efficiency.