Where are the tank and low point drains?

TxCowboy

EDIT: Added another question down in post #10.

I have a single blue drain line at the very rear of our Key West. I assume this is the drain line for the fresh water tank -- going to find out later today -- maybe.

What I'm not seeing is the red and blue drains that should be the low point drains. Not that I need to drain those now but it should would be nice to know where they are and how they are accessed.

Any idea where (1) these two drain lines might be located and (2) whether the single blue drain hose is, in fact, the fresh water drain?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
The low point drains have been eliminated from most models starting in 2011. My 2012 Big Country didn't have them, just the fresh water drain which is probably what you are seeing on your Key West.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I see you have a LM but on my BH (same production line) that single blue line you see is the FW tank drain. There are no low point drains.
If you need to winterize, void the water lines with air and/or pump RV antifreeze through them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The low point drains have been eliminated from most models starting in 2011.

Our 2013 Heartland Prowler has the low point drains.

They are under the front corner of the trailer on the off door side not far from where the water heater is mounted.

carl.swoyer

The low point drains have been eliminated from most models starting in 2011. My 2012 Big Country didn't have them, just the fresh water drain which is probably what you are seeing on your Key West.
Mine is a 2012 landmark Rushmore. My low point drains were forgot at factory as were my two fresh water over fill lines. Warranty had this correctly installed. No more water in the belly. And you need a low point drain to clean and purge your fresh water holding tank. At first the factory said my drain was at the bottom of my hot water tank. But that is higher than the holding tank.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Anyone know how to edit your own post.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I see you're using Tapatalk. To edit hold down on your post to open, one of several options is "edit". Make your changes, press "save".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ksucats

No low point drains on my 2015 Key West. The back one is for the fresh water tank and it does not drain it completely - not sure why not but I notice that if I move the unit at all I still get water coming out of it.

TxCowboy

One follow-on question -- where does the fresh water tank overflow valve exit under the plastic liner? I can't seem to locate that one either.

danemayer

One follow-on question -- where does the fresh water tank overflow valve exit under the plastic liner? I can't seem to locate that one either.

The overflow line goes through the frame and usually is run toward the entry steps where it terminates in a 90 degree Pex fitting.

Attachments

• Fresh Tank Overflow annotated.jpg
    Fresh Tank Overflow annotated.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 40

MikeR

Maybe a Big Country is different, but I have two fresh water tank overflow drains, one on each side of the coach, back by the tires.

TxCowboy

The overflow line goes through the frame and usually is run toward the entry steps where it terminates in a 90 degree Pex fitting.

Dane, the picture indicates that the pex fitting is attached to the frame. The plastic then runs below this fitting. So...the overflow is INSIDE the plastic?

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe a Big Country is different, but I have two fresh water tank overflow drains, one on each side of the coach, back by the tires.

We just got back from the RV and won't be there for a couple of days but a buddy and I were both under the RV yesterday and neither of us noticed drains near the tires. The only drain line we found was a single line at the very rear of the coach which appears to be the fresh water drain line.

danemayer

The picture doesn't show everything - it's from the manufacturing floor and shows where the overflow comes out of the top corner of the tank, and Pex goes through the frame to a Pex fitting on the outside of the frame. What's not shown here is that another Pex line is then attached to run the drain along the outside of the frame, toward the middle of the trailer where it terminates with yet another fitting.

There may be 2 drains. I've seen some with 2. I think some rigs have shipped with 1 drain.

On most LM365s, Bighorns, and Big Country rigs, the fresh tank is over the axles (probably for weight distribution). That should give you an idea where to look along the frame for the Pex fitting/line. I'd check on both sides. If you don't see the fitting and Pex line, on either side, you should remove a few of the screws holding the coroplast and look for the rear corners of the fresh tank. If manufacturing made a mistake, you should be able to see what's happened.

When taking out the screws that hold the coroplast, an impact wrench works way better and is much less likely to wring the head off the screw.

ksucats

Jeff: On my Key West there are two overflow lines - one on each side of the coach. I'm not at the coach right now but they are a bit forward of the rear tire as I recall - reason I know that is I had ice from the sloshing that was on the frame and level-up cylinder behind the tires. Real close in that area. Near the top of the frame. The fresh water drain is a bit further back, inside of the frame area - it is far enough in that I have to really reach to get to the valve to drain the tank.

TxCowboy

Dane & KSU, thanks for the input. I'll crawl under there and look around again when I get back to the RV in a couple of days.

ksucats

That is what mine looks like - it is 'inside' of the frame rails; the overflow drains are a bit forward of that and on the outside of the rails.