Where to mount Surge Guard

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Larry, I got mine at an RV Show in Ft. Myers, Florida. If you are going to go to the Escapade in Sedalia, MO there will be a guy selling there. The Escapade is in May. If not or you want it sooner you can order on from PI's website.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Straight from Progressive

As promised, here is the message I sent to Progressive and the reply from Mr. Fanelli. If you're not familiar with UL testing protocols, they are very thorough and geared towards consumer safety, not making a buck.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Safety Question

Date: Sun, March 29, 2009 10:17 am
To: <info@progressiveindustries.net>

Gentlemen,

I recently had the EMS-HW50C installed (by RV dealer) in our new Heartland 5th wheel. No problems, but on the Heartland Owners Forum a question has come up about the possibility of a fire ensuing if the surge protector should trip due to a large spike. My question is what kind of reliability or failure mode testing has been done on these units to determine if this is really a concern. Short of a direct lightning strike, I would hope the protector would open the circuit well before enough heat was generated to initiate the unit catching fire in the underbelly/basement of the trailer.

Your reply will be appreciated and I would like to post it to the owners forum.

---------- The Reply ---------------

Our surge protectors all go through UL testing and a UL listing on them. And yes with a direct lighting strike we have no way to test for that, however we have had some units take a direct hit and we have had no fire's however our units had to be replaced and we did that at no charge.

Thomas E. Fanelli, President
Progressive Industries
414B Airport Boulevard
Morrisville, NC 27560
(919) 462-8280
fax: 919-462-6132
tfanelli@progressiveindustries.net

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Sweet. You were even provided the owner's email address. Not many companies do that.

caokgafamily

Hey Guys,
So a 50amp surge protector works just fine plugged into or reduced to 30 amp ? What if I use my cheater box were I'm plugged into both 30's ?
Thanks,
Steve

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Hey Guys,
So a 50amp surge protector works just fine plugged into or reduced to 30 amp ? What if I use my cheater box were I'm plugged into both 30's ?
Thanks,
Steve

This is from the Progressive EMS website; manual for the 50A surge protector. For a more definitive answer, you might want to contact them or whichever supplier you're interested in.

Warnings:​
Do not exceed the rating on the EMS for any reason, however these devices are designed to be reduced down to 120V/15A, and still maintain full protection.