Where's the Quality Control at the Factory

RollingHome

I firmly believe the problems visiting HL products are ALSO common to other RV’s in the same price range. These problems do not go away until the selling price goes up. Quality and cost rise together, it is common knowledge, the reverse is also true. It is commonly known as “you get what you pay for” The only time this rule changes is with economy of scale, i.e. remember the mass produced imports killing the big 3. RV manufacturers do not have the advantage of economy of scale. This takes place at tremendous production rates, rates that far outpace all the units produced in Elkhart by all 8 makers. Oh sure, one by one they will out do the other guy in a way that impresses some buyer… but, what was sacrificed to make this happen. There always is a trade off and someone loses. That someone is usually not the manufacturer.<o:p></o:p>
Having a QC inspector at the end of any assembly line will only catch visible flaws, like missing trim or crooked wall paper accents. Maybe even the fact a King Size bed was installed when the optional Queen size was ordered. The flaws that create “REAL” problems for the end user/s are often covered over and hid from sight. A QC inspector could/would spend too much time and hold up too many units to be feasible. These hidden flaws are often found a few years later (after the warranty expired) when they cause a problem or prevent use of a feature. What many companies do to alleviate defects is to engineer safe guards in or make design changes NOT for the customer directly but for the installer. These changes are often made to make the install go quicker, easier and prevent trade collision between the plumber and electrician, the duct work installer and the cabinet maker. <o:p></o:p>
As an example, most of our coaches are already wired for the front BR roof AC unit (as are some other brands). Often all that is needed is to remove the powered vent fan, wire up the new AC unit and turn it on. Places like Camping World realize this and will charge only $ 89.00 to install the new BR AC that you purchased from CW. IF and only if the electrician did his part correctly and no one else undid what the electrician had completed can it be done easily.<o:p></o:p>
Enter trade collision – when my RV was built the electrician did his job correctly, he prewired my RV for the front BR AC unit. However, when the powered vent fan installer installed my power vent fan he CUT the wires off so short they could not be used. He did this to make his job easier. New wires had to be run in my RV (and other RV's). What HL did was change the wiring path (location) to make it easier on the fan installer. Since the (new path) wires are no longer in his way, he doesn’t cut them off. The electrician wins, the fan installer wins and the end user wins. How could an end of the line QC inspector have caught this ? See the pics below of the cut wire/s.

# 8 Short wires.JPG

Any assembly line worker/s who slows up the process and cost others the quota + $$$ bonus (see my earlier post) is going to have some serious problems in the work place. This worker/s may cut corners to avoid being hassled by co-workers by not securing the central vac correctly, not tightening the faucet nuts and by not getting every piece of debris off the roof before the membrane is installed. The membrane is glued down on top of ¼” luan plywood. Any debris that is left gets glued permanently between the membrane and luan, making “harmless” air bubbles...yeah right ! The luan is glued to the aluminum rafters and foam. The pretty ceiling panels you look up at are glued to the bottom of these rafters and foam. To correct the debris bubble problem would take days, would cause much roof destruction and be very costly. Besides, the bubbles are harmless (yeah right) hard to see unless indirect lighting is applied. Sun light is direct and so is high bay lighting in a dealers shop. So it rolls down the highway as is. The problem is not found until someone steps on a pimple and pops a “roof zit”… too late, it’s out of warranty you have a hole that must be repaired. See pics. below

Roof 1.JPGRoof 3.JPGRoof 4.JPG

Below what a popped roof zit looks like.

Roof 2 cut.JPG

If a QC inspector slows the assembly line process "TOO" much, he or she gets a promotion.... out the door, that's just the way it is in the real world. RV's can have a myriad of problems, not only the two above. When a nitpicker QC with an eagle eye catches too many flaws he or she may cause the loss of the afore mentioned quota bonus. This can/does lead to work place bullying, mysterious flat tires, calls in the middle of the night to their home, so forth and so on... The turn over rate for line QC inspectors in some industries is tremendous and the big wheel just keeps on rolling and rolling and rolling.

When I removed my cargo bay wall in the "man cave" I started a good belly laugh at what I saw. Patti came to see what was so funny. She stated with absoluteness, " I know you, you're not going to leave that mess ". I replied, " Oh yes I am, ya can't see it from my house. Besides, that's not a job, it's a career !". Besides, I would never ruin such a wonderful master piece of work :mad:. HL is accepting this quality of work because the buyer will not pay to have it done right. Instead, they will buy the cheaper unit down the street which was built by the same Elkhart Craftspeople. HL will go out of business and when the new buyer finally discovers the mess behind their wall they will comment " man, HL would have never left this kind of work go out their door, they did it right " followed by, "It's a shame they went out of business, they WERE a great company " and the noobee will ask, Who's HL ?".

There exist other techniques that ALL RV makers could employ. Such as, they could have color coded and labeled wiring harnesses and PEX tubing packages made elsewhere (read between the lines) by lower cost labor and installed in Eklhart. What if ALL 8 RV manufacturers in Elkhart started documenting names of workers who have cost them money by performing slip shod work which had to be redone. These same names could be entered into a database available to 8 RV makers. They could call this "The Blackballed Name List". As it exist right now, the RV makers do not even know the name of the workers who built your RV unless they were their permannet employee and then it's doubtful. The Elkhart 8 just don't have time for this type of detailed record keeping. I'll bet, just the threat of this being done would increase the level of workmanship.

Most of the gripes I see on this and other RV forums are about workmanship. RV's that are ugly, unfriendly, fall apart, poorly designed, poorly engineered or over priced sound their own death knell. They die in a few short years without any help.

If the Elkhart 8 would get together and work as a team to solve the common problems that are currently plagueing them all the results would benefit everyone in the equation. Here's what I believe would happen ;

1). They would ALL make more profit !

2). The end user (u & me) would get a better unit !

3). The RV line workers would have a better work environment because the slugs would be elsewhere, cream rises !

4). The cost would go down for everyone !

The same problem/s are plaguing industries across America. Until there are fundamental change/s in the way we conduct business by changing our current mindset this downhill slide will steepen and end with a very hard landing at the bottom. That is what happened to the big 3 in Detroit in the last century. Does every industry have to learn the hard way before they change. History is doomed to repeat itself over and over until we all realize, we win as a team, we fail by ourselves. Charles Deming (the father of Quality Control) knew this when he brought Japan out of the WW II ashes (after the USA refused to listen to him), listen to him speak “The present style of management is the biggest producer of waste, causing huge losses, whose magnitudes can not be evaluated, can not be measured

Happy RVing :)

crmfghtr

Here are some after modification pictures. Sorry I did not take any before pictures. $25.00 in parts from the Hardware store. Note in the last picture where I added a bottom 1x2 to prevent the panel from pushing into the relay box. I also added a 1x2 at the UDC side the original screws were going into the edge of the 1/2" plywood. now you can screw it from the basement side with a couple of screws. I also placed foam on the water lines to keep them from rattling when the pump is working. In picture #2 I fastened the water lines using 1/2" plastic fasteners.

064.JPG065.JPG066.JPG068.JPG067.JPG

Attachments

• 064.jpg
    064.jpg
    812 KB · Views: 125

danemayer

If you actually lost 110V to the coach, it's probably from a problem with the Transfer Switch in picture #3, not from the Power Converter (picture #1) being unplugged.

crmfghtr

I assumed it was the plug. I don't know anything about electrical except how to plug in a cord. All I know is I got power restored after plugging in the cord. You may be right about the loose wire in the relay box. My neighbor is a electrician. Maybe I will ask him to take a look inside the relay box and check for a loose wire.

jpdoggett

I have not had the power issues but I have had water issues and still do. Once I get back to Texas will remove the wall in the storage space and see what I can do. Dealer fixed some of the issues but I still have a water that leaks and comes out on the rubber floor. But we like our LandMark

FordMan1966

I did receive a PM from the Moderator over a negative comment that I made on this forum. So I know from experience. So you are wrong dude.

In my opinion you are dead wrong about that. As long as you keep the discussion civil and only relate your opinions or experiences you will never be criticized by a moderator.

After three years on this forum, two years of being a chapter leader for Heartland, working the Owner's Club table in Tampa once and attending many rallies that were not part of the South Carolina' s rally agenda you would think I would be a HL cheerleader but I am not. I have offered constructive criticism on this forum and directly to HL and have never been approached by a moderator to cease and desist.

Criticize HL in a fair manner if you must, but I think the moderators on this forum do an outstanding job of being tolerant and lenient.

jcarnevale

This thread has obviously struck a nerve in many of us who've experienced quality control issues, but with all of this said I feel compelled to add the outstanding customer service experience I had last week at the factory. I swung by customer service/parts department to get some advice on some issues I was having. I was only expecting to get advice. I walked out of there with a box full of free parts and one big-ticket item at cost. So needless to say my "out of warranty" camper is a happy camper.

FordMan1966, a lot of us have gotten that PM from the moderator...as westxsrt10 said "don't get discouraged".

tmcran

Tom , I'm not going to reply with quote. However, my experience with QC is much different than yours. As a cattle rancher I'm very strict on the health of my herd. I never have a problem with anyone pointing out a problem with the cattle. But if someone lets a sick or injured cow through then there will be **** to pay. My reputation depends on the quality of the product. The equipment I use from a Case tractor to John Deere equipment has great workmanship. If ya get a chance go to a John Deere factory and observe the QC that goes on at ever level of production. Yes this equipment is expensive and I pay for it. I can't afford to be in down time and certainly can't be running to a dealer and let equipment set weeks are months, as we see in RV repairs.

A buddy of mine has a trailer business( Flat bed , cattle and etc.) When they build a trailer it is inspected at each level. Final inspection is done as well as the trailer being towed and checked before released to customer. Yes, it is more expensive than a trailer at Tractor Supply. IMO the RV industry is miles behind most manufactures in QC .

evolvingpowercat

There are some moderators out there that are sensitive to Heartland criticism, but it does not appear that there is any censorship of negative posts. We owe them our thanks for their service and time commitment to this forum. It is important that everyone keep their posts fact based and not speculate on reasons why the current build quality is what it is without any facts, and that is proper role of moderators using one on one private messages to steer forum members in that direction when need be.

I am a 55 year old engineer that has worked in communications industry for the past 35 years. It seems that a little more engineering up front would pay huge benefits. I am just frustrated that there is so much upside potential that is being un-realized at Heartland. In particular for the second time, third time, etc. buyers who have learned what lack of technical quality costs in time and frustration, and who would know how to look for the "little things" and who are looking beyond the pretty cabinets and furniture on the inside and beyond the shiny new paint or decals on the outside.

To follow my fact based spirit some examples from my 2011 Heartland Edge:

- Electrical connections for the decorative rope lighting above the cabinets in the trailer not mechanically secured with the proper rope lighting end connectors, in my Edge just a glob of adhesive and cable ties was used to make the transition from rope lighing to the pig tail that connects to the trailer wiring instead of the proper compression connection part purpose made for rope lighting. These connections are already becoming intermittent in 2012 on my 2011 model year Edge that have to be worked on. It might have been good enough to last a year and not have warranty issues, but it could have been done right and made to last the life of the trailer. I have used the proper connectors on outdoor 12 volt rope lighting and still good with no maintenance after 4 years. To do right would have been $ 3 worth of rope lighting end connectors and extra 5 minutes labor.

- Wires for the electric brakes coming out of wiring harness above brakes in a way that the wires rub against the trailer frame. May take years to rub thru but to do it right cost me less than 50 cents to put plastic sleeve over the two sets of wire so the sleeve is rubbing against the frame not the wires themselves. To do on the line would have been another 5 minutes labor per trailer.

- Where the trailer side meets the wheel wells behind the decorative plastic trim panels not caulked, causing water to enter interior or trailer, in a way where pools of standing water form inside the trailer causing smells and potential mold issues, and potentially water damage over time for those whose trailers are used in wetter areas. To caulk while trailer being manufactured would have be 50 cents for materials and 10 minutes labor.

- Plumbing - huge pressure drops which makes water flow when not being driven by city water pressure but rather by the SureFlo 12V pump problematic. The root cause of the problem is the large number of hard 90 fittings used. Just in the pump compartment of my RV, just to exit the pressure side of the pump in the pump compartment and get below the trailer to start the run to the hot water heater and beyond, there are 5 sharp 90 degree turns. To get to the kitchen sink the farthest plumbing distance from the pump outlet it is about 10 90s to go thru. Not the factory floors fault, but I fault the Heartland engineers for not realizing when the built Edge #1 and tested it that they had a problem and needed to figure out a better way. I am an engineer and I was able to figure out that better way in under 30 minutes: Don't use hard 90s everywhere - use PEX-AL-PEX tubing which can be bent to as small as 5" radius bends with a tubing bender most of the hard 90s are in places that have room for a tubing bend. PEX-AL-PEX uses standard PEX fittings this would not require a major re-tool at the factory.

PEX-AL-PEX costs 33 cents per foot in skid quanties. Basic Plumbing PEX costs 20 cents per foot in skid quanties. So given the large labor savings making less connections and the savings on the hard 90 fittings this looks like it could actually save money and give trailer users better flow and pressure when boondocking using the fresh tank and 12 volt pump.

noobee

I believe they have changed as they recently added a QC unit at the factory. Call Customer Service and ask to speak to someone from that unit if you have issues.

Obviously nothing much has changed based on the number of owners that are currently mentioning QC problems!

Mainerunr

- Plumbing - huge pressure drops which makes water flow when not being driven by city water pressure but rather by the SureFlo 12V pump problematic. The root cause of the problem is the large number of hard 90 fittings used. Just in the pump compartment of my RV, just to exit the pressure side of the pump in the pump compartment and get below the trailer to start the run to the hot water heater and beyond, there are 5 sharp 90 degree turns. To get to the kitchen sink the farthest plumbing distance from the pump outlet it is about 10 90s to go thru. Not the factory floors fault, but I fault the Heartland engineers for not realizing when the built Edge #1 and tested it that they had a problem and needed to figure out a better way. I am an engineer and I was able to figure out that better way in under 30 minutes: Don't use hard 90s everywhere - use PEX-AL-PEX tubing which can be bent to as small as 5" radius bends with a tubing bender most of the hard 90s are in places that have room for a tubing bend. PEX-AL-PEX uses standard PEX fittings this would not require a major re-tool at the factory.

PEX-AL-PEX costs 33 cents per foot in skid quanties. Basic Plumbing PEX costs 20 cents per foot in skid quanties. So given the large labor savings making less connections and the savings on the hard 90 fittings this looks like it could actually save money and give trailer users better flow and pressure when boondocking using the fresh tank and 12 volt pump.

As a mechanical engineer (who designs HVAC and plumbing systems), I agree with your assessment. Beyond that, fewer hard 90's would also mean fewer joints. And where do leaks to occur (barring physical damage to the tubing)? At the joints. PEX-AL-PEX is good stuff and it will stay bent when you bend it unlike the typical PEX that is used for water systems. If they put a manifold, they could make individual runouts to each fixture with no joints at all.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
As I recall from the initial post about HL instituting a QC Audit program, the inspection was to be on a random basis, not every unit. While that may find construction problems endemic to the units in general, it will not find sporadic cases of shoddy workmanship or problems hidden behind the walls. Especially if the inspection is superficial and no underbelly panels/basement walls are removed during the process. And how much are the functional systems tested on the audit rigs?

I'm no HL cheerleader, either, but after attending several RV shows before and after getting this rig, I'm pretty certain that HL is as good, if not better, than many of the other "popular" brands. Were I to replace this rig with another trailer, it would be another HL.

dave10a

It has taken me several months and some anguish to correct all the problems on my unit. Some of the problems were QC and a few were basic design issues. I don't trust the dealer's work; so rather than drag the unit to them I have troubleshot and corrected the problems myself. Heartland has stood behind the warranty by sending me parts which is a good thing. My last problem, I hope, is the rear axle alignment because there is a 1.4 inch difference between the left and right side. After 6000 miles I noticed a feathering wear on the rear tires. I registered the problem with Heartland and when I find a dealer that I can trust, I will drag the trailer to have it checked out. Anyway good luck and happy trails. All I know is I have spent a lot of money to have a lot of problems. But since I am retired I now have something to do while not traveling.. Repairs.. :)

donr827

I have owned Jayco, Carriage, and Hitchhiker II, and now Bighorn trailers. So far I have only had two problems which I fixed myself with my Bighorn. The first was one of the water lines at the UDC needed to be tightened. It only took a few minutes to check all of the water lines at the UDC. The other was the hinges on the over head cabinets in the living room. It was also a easy fix. So far this trailer has had fewer problems then any other trailer I have owned.
Don

danemayer

there is a 1.4 inch difference between the left and right side. After 6000 miles I noticed a feathering wear on the rear tires.

Hi Dave10a,

I don't know much about axle alignment, but 1.4" sounds like an awful lot. Dexter's service manual says:

Alignment can be determined by measuring from the center of the trailer king pin
to the center of each end of the axles. The difference should not vary by more than 1/16". In the case
of multiple axles, the axles must also be in line with each other. The difference between the centers
of one axle and end centers of the other axle must not vary more than 1/8".

I didn't see anything about whether it makes a difference if there's weight on the axles or not.

Are you measuring the 1.4" the way that Dexter describes?

dave10a

Hi Dave10a,

I don't know much about axle alignment, but 1.4" sounds like an awful lot. Dexter's service manual says:

I didn't see anything about whether it makes a difference if there's weight on the axles or not.

Are you measuring the 1.4" the way that Dexter describes?

I am measuring from the center of each axle on level ground hitched to the truck. I think it is caused by a weight distribution that is inherent with the San Antonio with 3 slide on one side and one slide and a washer dryer on the other. In other words a basic design issue. If so I think Heartland will need to come up with a solution. I don't see why I should accept this kind of problem with high tire wear. Any way I will see what a reputable and knowledgeable dealer has to say and go from there.

caissiel

If we compare an RV to a new car, well my printer in the RV now is more complex then any car I ever owned. There is 12000 Lbs of parts and equipment that may go wrong. We add all the options and fill a full page. The first trailer we ever owned had very few things to go wrong, but we want everything automatic and easy and that adds more equipment then any house would have. RV's are complicated to build, own and use and we better get use to it if we like camping with all the luxuries we now have.

Add hydraulics, and you need a hydraulic maintenance procedure.
Add Electric actuators, and you need an electrician.
Add Axles and you need mechanics to maintain them.
Add Brakes and you need to maintain them properly.
Add Satelite dish and you need to maintain it.
Add A/C and you need to maintain it by a A/C Tech.
Add a Steel Frame and you need a welder to maintain it.
Add Tires and you need to have regular maintenance for safe travel.
Add 10,000 miles on our highways and you need to check everything that may get loose.

The above are just a few things that do not come standard with a House or a Car and we still complain!!!!. These are heavy vehicles that get well used and something can go wrong. I always have my mind open for new things to happen, but with the past 20 years of experience, I find keeping things simple has been very successfull.

RollingHome

Caissel my friend... YOU ARE A BREATH OF FRESH AIR !

I was really starting to wonder if it was just me... Thank You for some intelligent, logical and sane thinking... Thank you for comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges...

I also wonder how many posters know that the public in general can read our post on Google WITHOUT being a forum member - a Google search is all one needs to do. This includes the competition’s RV salesmen who print these bashing posts and keeps a 3 ring binder to show customers who are comparing ? As an example, Google - Where’s the quality control at the factory - just that phrase and see what you get.

I wonder if they know that bashing HL may bash their wallet at trade in time... ?

I wonder if they think at all or if they are Warren Buffett in disguise because they must be wealthy beyond belief...

I wonder "IF" it was their money that bought their RV or someone else’s, like inheritance or Lotto winnings ?

I wonder if they know how well off they have it or if they are just chronic complainers who whine about everything ?

Finally, I wonder "IF" they've ever had real problems or if the silver spoon tarnished their thinking to the point they are totally devoid of intelligence ? Just wondering...

I'm not pointing a finger - I'm just wondering, that's all

davebennington

As I read this thread I had a few thoughts, first way back in the early days of Heartland they did not make so many different units and I don't think the problems were as great as they are now. Yes the units may be somewhat more complex now, but we have a Landmark Golden Gate built in 2005. there have been a few problems however only one can be attributed to QC or maybe design (the fresh water tank dropped when filled). We have towed our unit over some of the worst roads in the US (from VA to AK and back to the west coast and back) we now have pretty close to 65000 miles on it and NOTHING has fallen off, no water leaks from the PEX fittings. So all that said I think Heartland should go back to building one unit at a time with the same highly motivated craftsmen that they used back in the early days. IMHO

dave

I know I am just asking for trouble posting this now, tomorrow the whole unit may collapse.