Which campground on the south rim of the Grand Canyon?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We are going to Arizona in January for the Arizona HOC Rally near Quartzsite and we decided to leave a couple of days earlier so we can check out the Grand Canyon (never been there and can't be that close without swinging by).

I used the RVParky app to locate area campgrounds and I think I have it narrowed down to two:

Grand Canyon Camper Village or Grand Canyon Trailer Village.

Anyone have any thoughts on these two places, or any others nearby?

Got to book the site sometime today.

L8APXER

We stayed @ trailer village last month and it was ok. I think the differences were hookups and trailer length restrictions. They are next to each other so location is not an issue. The campground is just that. Lots of tents. Good luck and have fun

JohnD

I keep leaning toward Camper Village . . . just seems like the best of the two!

Any other places that anyone has experience with?

We will be staying there two nights and need 30 amp hookup (water can be skipped if it is below freezing).

racinjake

camper villiage does not have hookups. if you want power, sewer,etc.. go to trailer villiage.
lots of info at nps.gov/grca......

click in campground link.

Dean-Pam

We visited the Grand Canyon April 2014 and elected to stay at the Grand Canyon Williams campground, then took the Grand Canyon Train to the South Rim. We really enjoyed the train ride, didn't have to drive :) The campground itself was very nice, with paved sites.

Have fun...it really takes your breath away looking at natures beauty.

Dean

Lynn1130

Ok, third try is a charm.

The Grand Canyon RV park in Williams is nice but it is one large paved parking lot with little to look at. The train ride is very nice but you pay for that so consider that in expenses. There is a nice KOA east of Williams. I have stayed there. There is a RV park in Valle about 30 miles north of Williams. You might also do a search for Tusayan which is just outside of the Park entrance. I do not know if they have a RV park or not.

IMHO if you can fill water tanks and have the battery for it staying in the park is better.

I am not sure sure which park the previous post is talking about but this place has full hookups. I love the review on the following page from the person complaining about the wifi. The site says they DO NOT have wifi DUH. I never trust reviews as most are done by dummies (sorry).

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Arizona/Tusayan.html

JohnD

Trailer Village is booked up for the two days we plan to visit, so I have a tentative booking at Camper Village.

MCTalley

We stayed at the Railside RV Ranch on the east side of Williams and rode the train up to the Grand Canyon. We really liked the campground. The train goes right by it on the way out of town and on the way back in. It is campground tradition to head outside and wave as the train rumbles past.

The reviews on RV Park Reviews all range between 7 and 10 stars.

jimtoo

We also stayed at Railside RV Ranch a few years back. Really nice folks, they used to have something every night that was open to everyone staying there. Food, movie, fish fry I think, even had a free continental breakfast. They also even took our friends dog for a walk while we were at the canyon.

jdfishing

Watch the weather and temperature. We planned a trip there several years ago in Feb. and cancelled as the temps were very cold and I didn't want to mess with trying to keep the RV from freezing.

Lynn1130

Good advice. I did not see that you were going in January. Keep in mind that the Grand Canyon many times reports the lowest overnight temps in the state during the winter time. Not to mention that if a storm blows in that is exactly what it will do BLOW in.

JohnD

Good advice. I did not see that you were going in January. Keep in mind that the Grand Canyon many times reports the lowest overnight temps in the state during the winter time. Not to mention that if a storm blows in that is exactly what it will do BLOW in.

The first night of our trip we plan to drive from Denver to Albuquerque or somewhere nearby, then on to the Grand Canyon for two nights, then down to the Arizona HOC Rally near Quartzsite.

Our trailer will still be winterized when we leave Denver, and probably won't hookup water there (probably won't even unhook the trailer from the truck), since it is just going to be an over night stop and we'll want to get on the road early.

If the weather looks to be cold while at the GC, we'll probably not hook up the water or sewer there, either.

We are used to not having water and sewer hookups as none of that stuff was usable on our old Coachman travel trailer, which we used to call our "tent on wheels"!

scottyb

If you can handle the snow and cold, which you probably can, being your from Colo., the views would be incredible with the snow capped cliffs. I would love to visit in the winter, put on the crampons, and go for a hike. Heres a link to Grand Canyon Weather and Webcam . Doesn't look like they have any snow yet.

This campground called Nautiloid Canyon is on the south side and stays pretty warm. :rolleyes:

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

JohnD

That looks cool, but we will only have one day to check it out, so will probably drive around the park and take pictures.

However, our next trip down there will probably be during the warmer months of the year.

Thanks for that link . . .

Checked the temps . . . Grand Canyon currently 25 degrees and clear . . . here in Denver, currently 8 degrees and snow on the ground!

Matter of fact . . . currently getting around to go out and shovel the sidewalks and driveway before I head off to work!

8amps

Hi John! Phil and I just were at the Grand Canyon a couple of weeks ago. We stayed 3 nights at Trailer Village which suited us perfectly. Close by, relatively level. No amenities like WIFI or pool, but hey! I was there for the Grand Canyon. :) Elk mosey-ed right through campground our first night. Never saw them again, so that was very cool and glad we got to enjoy the site.
.2014-10-31 11.17.43.jpgShea was right at home on the South Rim.

Jimsryker

Nice! Haha.

Quote:

I am not sure sure which park the previous post is talking about but this place has full hookups. I love the review on the following page from the person complaining about the wifi. The site says they DO NOT have wifi DUH. I never trust reviews as most are done by dummies (sorry).

JohnD

Hi John! Phil and I just were at the Grand Canyon a couple of weeks ago. We stayed 3 nights at Trailer Village which suited us perfectly. Close by, relatively level. No amenities like WIFI or pool, but hey! I was there for the Grand Canyon. :) Elk mosey-ed right through campground our first night. Never saw them again, so that was very cool and glad we got to enjoy the site.
.View attachment 33144Shea was right at home on the South Rim.

Hey Mary . . . haven't seen you guys around here in awhile!

How are the travels going?

I tried to book at Trailer Village online, but there wasn't any availability for the days we are going to be there.

So I tried to reserve at Camper Village and got an email back telling me that they don't take reservations until January 1st. (hhmmmmmm), but said that January is their "slow time" so booking shouldn't be a problem.

So I wonder if this is also the case for Trailer Village as well.

I'm going to call both of them in the morning to see whats up?

Otherwise, I may look into some of the other places that have been mentioned here in this topic thread.