which front bath?

yankeetom

Wife and I have begun researching 5th wheels and are torn between the front bath and front living. She's leaning towads the front bath. I see so many here have the different models of front bath bighorn, big country, and landmark which one is the best quality for the money? We have only gotten to see the landmark, we liked it very much but the price tag seemed a bit steep of a $xxxxk. Do the heartland landmark 5er compare to a say redwood or keystone? Thx for the input it gets overwhelming with so many to choose from. Oh by the way we will be full timing in it staying in different locations for a couple months at a time running from the heat and cold, so north in the summer desert in the winter.

Last edited by a moderator:

jimtoo

Hi yankeetom,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will get lots of opinions from our other members.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

chiefneon

Howdy!

I don't know about the models you are referring to but I can give you information regarding ours which is a 2014 Cyclone 4000 which we fulltime in. We recently had problems with hairline cracks in our bathroom tub & shower. After dealing with Heartland and Camping World we found that we could not have the tub/shower replaced because it was placed in the RV and the walls we're built around it. Some thing I would consider if I are anyone else was researching during my next RV purchase.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

farside291

We have the BC FB3950 and it has 2 restrooms. The one in the front is plenty big and has plenty of room to close the door and change/get dressed without disturbing the rest of the occupants. Down side is when bedroom slide is in, no access to front bathroom, hence 2 restrooms. The one down stairs is just inside the door and is accessible when all slides are closed. Very convenient when 4 are sleeping in the RV, 2 up and 2 down with one shower but 2 toilets. This is our first with 2 bathrooms and we won't be without 2 toilets in our next one which will be the Landmark version of our BC.

MCTalley

I would consider the Bighorn and Big Country extremely similar. It would come down to what decor you like between those two models. Last I saw, similarly equipped, they price out about the same. Bighorn allows a few more options than the Big Country (most notably full body paint). As you've probably noticed, the Landmark is a couple steps above in both content and price.

As Bob&Patty pointed out, the front bath and front living can both be a bit pin heavy. Loaded up for full-time use, our 16,000 lb (give or take) Big Country front bath model has right around 4,000 lb. on the hitch.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
One noted difference for me between the two, Bighorn has separated switches for each slide, I think Big Country has ONE switch for all slides, so the slide with least resistance opens first, and so-on. If you need to open just one slide, you can't select just one without a large modification to the hydraulic system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Can't speak as to the front bath or front living room since we decided against both. I can talk about Big Horn compared to Landmark since we had had bot now. We have had two Bog Horns, one from 2007 the next from 2012. At the time we didn't think we would ever own a Landmark because we couldn't see that much added value for the added cost and weight. Our 2012 was huge steps above our 08 (made in 07) BH. Quality improved by leaps and bounds. When Mark started looking at Lamdmark it was because of features he knew he wanted to add to our BH. By the time we looked at what it would cost to have the options added to our BH, it didn't make sense compared to the deal we got on our Lamdmark.

We looked at Redwood and all the others including class A MH. After all the parts are mostly the same. What is different is how they are put together and how the manufacturer stands behind the product if there is a problem. Naturally the high end MH look great and have the price tag to go with it. Heartland's fit and finish were way beyond the Keystones, not to mention the chemical smell those had inside. Redwood was comparable, but there is a reason Heartland is stealing people from Redwood. That is happening from the top down. Even our regional LM rep came from Redwood. Our dealer used to carry Redwood. That spoke volumes to us. We will stick with HL as long as they continue to have the value and customer service.

Good luck with your search. There will be one you will walk into and sit down just feeling like you are home. Then you will know what you want.

Kristy

VKTalley

One noted difference for me between the two, Bighorn has separated switches for each slide, I think Big Country has ONE switch for all slides, so the slide with least resistance opens first, and so-on. If you need to open just one slide, you can't select just one without a large modification to the hydraulic system.

Erika, I have two switches that operate the slides on my Big Country 3950FB, one for the bedroom slide and one for the two slides in the living/kitchen area.

TravelTiger

Erika, I have two switches that operate the slides on my Big Country 3950FB, one for the bedroom slide and one for the two slides in the living/kitchen area.

Ok, good to know!!

MCTalley

But, there is one switch for both large slides, so we can't open or close one of those at a time. The bedroom slide is cable-driven, so it would make sense that it is on a separate switch. Our previous unit had manual valves near the hydraulic pump where we could manually override individual hydraulic slides (it had 3) as needed. Not sure if the factory put those in or if Lippert did when they installed our Level-Up system during the 2013 national rally.

TravelTiger

But, there is one switch for both large slides, so we can't open or close one of those at a time. The bedroom slide is cable-driven, so it would make sense that it is on a separate switch. Our previous unit had manual valves near the hydraulic pump where we could manually override individual hydraulic slides (it had 3) as needed. Not sure if the factory put those in or if Lippert did when they installed our Level-Up system during the 2013 national rally.

To me, slides need to be separate so you can isolate it of there is an issue. I know it could be a mod on a Big Country to make the separate at the pump, but I'd rather have switches inside.

yankeetom

Thx for the reply, we were impressed by the landmark Newport but didn't really know the difference between it and Bh and Bc and if the price difference was worth it. So many other manufacturers make a front bath it's quite confusing, and we don't have very many dealers close by to look at different models. We are in the process of buying a chevy 3500 drw.

Kenneths

Thx for the reply, we were impressed by the landmark Newport but didn't really know the difference between it and Bh and Bc and if the price difference was worth it. So many other manufacturers make a front bath it's quite confusing, and we don't have very many dealers close by to look at different models. We are in the process of buying a chevy 3500 drw.

I have the Landmark Newport and love the large front Bathroom and the 1/2 bath. We were actually looking for a front living when we stumbled across the Newport, changed our mind quick and are happy with the decision.

VKTalley

One thing I forgot to mention in my earlier reply...find the unit that best fits you, be it the Landmark, Big Horn or Big Country. My DH and I could afford the Landmark but chose the Big Country based of what we liked and what fit us best. Good luck with your search!