Which generator to buy?

Grizzly

We are considering purchasing an inverter generator for when we take trips in our fifth wheel (in Canada and potentially the US) to power not only our sensitive computer devices but also the air conditioning.

Having done lots of research on specific brands and their pros and cons, we were wondering what your actual experience has been (as opposed to the “product reviews” you can read on websites). A quiet generator would be our preference.
Thanks for any thoughts you are able to share.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We are running Honda EU2000 and the 2000 companion. We have not lacked for power so far and they are quiet. We have not tried running both AC's yet and probably never will. We like them because if you only need to power up for a recharge or coffee in the morning, you only need one and they are only 46 pds each. Their portability is the main reason we purchased them. We have a toy lock to keep them from going on adventures that they would not return from.

pegmikef

We are running Honda EU2000 and the 2000 companion. We have not lacked for power so far and they are quiet. We have not tried running both AC's yet and probably never will. We like them because if you only need to power up for a recharge or coffee in the morning, you only need one and they are only 46 pds each. Their portability is the main reason we purchased them. We have a toy lock to keep them from going on adventures that they would not return from.

I have the same generators and like them the few time I have actually used them Mine will NOT run both the ACs in my BH. When we aren't using the AC or fireplace, I usually only run one of them of two or three hours to charge up the batteries and let the wife use all her bathroom hair stuff. We use an old time stove top coffee pot so I don't need power for coffee.

Gaffer

A Honda 3k will fit your needs but just. It is not light so plan on securing it in the back of your truck. Electric start is a plus. I use 2 honda 2,000 watt gennnys. They are quiet and light enough to move around without help. I keep them in my in bed tool box.

Crumgater

Ditto on the 2 Honda EU2000's here!
We just added the 2nd companion one this year. We're in the Pacific NW, but do camp in the summer on the hotter side of the Cascades - but we're always plugged in there, so we don't use the genny's for the AC. We added a 2nd one for tailgating... so we could power the nespresso and a few crock pots at the same time as all the direcTV's (inside & out). :) We could probably still get by with just one, but it was laboring off eco-mode, which made it a lot noisier. They're much quieter together when lightly loaded.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
We also have the EU2000 and the EU2000 Companion and can run everything but both AC's together. One AC is no problem along with everything else in the trailer as long as we are smart about it. It runs off of a 30amp circuit so as long as you take that into account and use your electrical device accordingly the EU2000 Honda's will operate any sensitive electronics plus other household items. One Honda EU2000 by itself will run basic electrical essentials, but no AC.

Rod

Ditto on the 2 Honda EU2000's here!
We just added the 2nd companion one this year. We're in the Pacific NW, but do camp in the summer on the hotter side of the Cascades - but we're always plugged in there, so we don't use the genny's for the AC. We added a 2nd one for tailgating... so we could power the nespresso and a few crock pots at the same time as all the direcTV's (inside & out). :) We could probably still get by with just one, but it was laboring off eco-mode, which made it a lot noisier. They're much quieter together when lightly loaded.

Dean-Pam

We have the Champion 3100 and it runs everything in the coach, plus the AC. We only have 30 amp service, so it met our needs perfectly and I didn't have to buy the two Honda units. It is very quiet, which my DW really likes. Have had it a little over two years and have not had any problems with it.

Grizzly

Thank you to everyone for your replies and suggestions. We are considering the Champion 3100A Inverter Generator which we can buy at Costco for a price that is within our budget! Besides the comment already posted, what do people who own this, think of it please? Thank you.

Lobovista

We also have the Champion 3100 inverter generator. $800 from Amazon. Works great, quiet and powers one AC. Just wish it had a bigger gas tank. Will only run 4-5 hours while running AC.

brianharrison

Yes the Honda 3000EU will power one A/C up to 15,000 Btu with some power left over - usually a 15,000 will take 20-23A inrush and 15-16A continuous running. A 3000 puts out about 26A, if my memory serves me correctly.

Brian