Which Surge Protector?

WillyBill

Dave,

Also, are they putting the bracing above the flange or below and under the chloroplast?

Regards,

WB

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dave,

Also, are they putting the bracing above the flange or below and under the chloroplast?

Regards,

WB
That I can't tell you. I think I've read about both being done.
I have a 2x2 square tube welded to the equalizer bracket. It supports my tank.
I guess you just gotta do what works best for you situation.

Peace
Dave

NYSUPstater

Don't have it yet, but will be soon a Progressive 50 AMP EMS (PT50X). Tweety's has them for about 400 bucks. Chatted w/ PI and liked what I heard and features of product as I'm clueless on most elect issues.

SteamboatSailor

I'm also trying to decide on a surge protector/electrical mgmt system for our soon to arrive RW427, & Progressive looks like the way to go. While the "plug & play" feature of portable such as EMS-PT50 would be convenient in the short term (vs. hardware such as the EMS-HW50), it seems that it would be EZ for the portable to grow legs & decide to take a walk. Also, it appears the hard wire gives the option of installing so it protects against problems from the generator. Thoughts? Anyone have experience with the RW427 as to whether there is "adequate & conveniently accessible installation area" (is that an oxymoron?) for hardwired installation on the RW427?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'm also trying to decide on a surge protector/electrical mgmt system for our soon to arrive RW427, & Progressive looks like the way to go. While the "plug & play" feature of portable such as EMS-PT50 would be convenient in the short term (vs. hardware such as the EMS-HW50), it seems that it would be EZ for the portable to grow legs & decide to take a walk. Also, it appears the hard wire gives the option of installing so it protects against problems from the generator. Thoughts? Anyone have experience with the RW427 as to whether there is "adequate & conveniently accessible installation area" (is that an oxymoron?) for hardwired installation on the RW427?

We've used the Progressive portable, and before that a SurgeGuard portable, for 8 years and not had one walk off.

I think most campers that have them don't need someone else's, and those that don't have them really don't know their value. I think a thief would have to really be brazen to remove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteamboatSailor

Same deal, four years plus and no problem with my progressive ems walking off.

You're probably right, but I thought the same thing about the spare tire on my TV ( me "who would need/be brazen enough to take a spare from underneath a Ram dually?") until last week. I've since ordered a lock for the cable assembly & am shopping for a new spare wheel/tire.

TravelTiger

You're probably right, but I thought the same thing about the spare tire on my TV ( me "who would need/be brazen enough to take a spare from underneath a Ram dually?") until last week. I've since ordered a lock for the cable assembly & am shopping for a new spare wheel/tire.

The Progressive Industries portable unit we have does have a metal security ring to run a cable through to lock it to something, but we haven't used it much.

Oh and our spare has a cable lock on it. We had the spare stolen off a 1994 GMC Jimmy, been locking up spares ever since.... including trailer spare.

SteamboatSailor

The Progressive Industries portable unit we have does have a metal security ring to run a cable through to lock it to something, but we haven't used it much.

Oh and our spare has a cable lock on it. We had the spare stolen off a 1994 GMC Jimmy, been locking up spares ever since.... including trailer spare.

I guess I'll be locking them both from now on, too.

Is the ring on the Progressive substantial enough to make it tough for someone to pull it off the cable lock? Obviously, if someone wants it bad enough they'll get it, but stopping the "crime of convenience " will eliminate the majority of the risk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I use one of these every hook up.
91e67ee72ccb1bf8234e438e6785a766.jpg

Sometimes if I have real concerns (seldom have) I have a piece of chain and a wide deep shank padlock to lock the surge protector to the pedestal

SteamboatSailor

I use one of these every hook up.
91e67ee72ccb1bf8234e438e6785a766.jpg

Sometimes if I have real concerns (seldom have) I have a piece of chain and a wide deep shank padlock to lock the surge protector to the pedestal

Thx. I'll check it out

NYSUPstater

PI also offer a Master Cable lock for their products as they have a metal tab around unit that the cable will go thru. Company website has them for 18 bucks, not sure if Tweety's has them or not. May not be the most heavy duty security, but better than nothing I guess.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I have a portable Surge Guard 30 amp I have been using for years. Works well. Now have a portable 50amp progressive. Still use the Surge Guard while parked at home hooked up to the RV outlet at my garage Simple chain and lock for security. Never had a problem.

mlpeloquin

We've used the Progressive portable, and before that a SurgeGuard portable, for 8 years and not had one walk off.

I think most campers that have them don't need someone else's, and those that don't have them really don't know their value. I think a thief would have to really be brazen to remove it.

We lost one portable SureGuard in New Mexico. Purchased another one at Camping World for use on the rest of the trip. Then purchased a Progressive and installed in the service bay. The Progressive is not walking off. And yes we had and have the SureGuard lock!

TravelTiger

We lost one portable SureGuard in New Mexico. Purchased another one at Camping World for use on the rest of the trip. Then purchased a Progressive and installed in the service bay. The Progressive is not walking off. And yes we had and have the SureGuard lock!

Wow, that stinks! First I've heard of one getting taken.