Why doesn't Heartland use Tankless Heater & Command Center Touch Screen

2TrakR

I put a tankless unit in our Cyclone. Eh. Overall I like the original unit better. I think HL would have to work really hard to have a tankless setup that the customer feels works "well".

It's nice to have hot water "right now" in that you don't have to wait for the tank to heat up.

The tankless unit we have is definitely fussy. If you don't use the shower in a particular way, it will hit you with cold water. The original WH worked like your house and you don't have to think about how you are using it. The exception was when you just set up camp and have to wait for the water to heat up, or if you are dry camping and didn't have the tank turned on to save propane during the day. The tankless works nice for conserving propane for dry camping.

Dry camping example:
Want hot shower when done for the day, great the tankless will give you hot water without waiting for the 5+ gallons in a tank to heat up, so you save time and propane.
You want to conserve water, so shut off the shower between actions (ie no water when soaping up or however you do it). That's great, except the tankless it going to hit you with cold for x seconds when you turn the water back on. The only way, with our unit, to keep a consistent temp out of the shower is to keep it spraying the whole time. So, save on propane but lose on water.

If HL could give a tankless setup that worked as consistent and as easily as the traditional tank, I'd be interested.

Mburtsvt

I put a tankless unit in our Cyclone. Eh. Overall I like the original unit better. I think HL would have to work really hard to have a tankless setup that the customer feels works "well".

It's nice to have hot water "right now" in that you don't have to wait for the tank to heat up.

The tankless unit we have is definitely fussy. If you don't use the shower in a particular way, it will hit you with cold water. The original WH worked like your house and you don't have to think about how you are using it. The exception was when you just set up camp and have to wait for the water to heat up, or if you are dry camping and didn't have the tank turned on to save propane during the day. The tankless works nice for conserving propane for dry camping.

Dry camping example:
Want hot shower when done for the day, great the tankless will give you hot water without waiting for the 5+ gallons in a tank to heat up, so you save time and propane.
You want to conserve water, so shut off the shower between actions (ie no water when soaping up or however you do it). That's great, except the tankless it going to hit you with cold for x seconds when you turn the water back on. The only way, with our unit, to keep a consistent temp out of the shower is to keep it spraying the whole time. So, save on propane but lose on water.

If HL could give a tankless setup that worked as consistent and as easily as the traditional tank, I'd be interested.

Truma?

alexb2000

We average about 8,000 - 10,000 miles/year - discs come in handy for going down a steep grade (eliminate rig pushing and rig brake fade), preserving truck braking power in an adverse high-heat situation (steep grades or endless miles of caterpillar traffic) and lessening general wear on truck brakes - not to mention the extra stopping power in emergencies. Drums are certainly OK but discs are far safer in any situation - reams of data support this. I have discs on all of my vehicles and they all have ABS also (including my motorcycle). I just wish someone could figure out how to incorporate ABS into trailer braking systems.

I think manufacturers should offer things like control panels, advanced suspension systems, tankless water heaters, etc., etc. as options - I'm a firm believer in giving the customer as much of what they want to pay for as possible. I still think that safety related items like disc brakes should be standard and if all coaches came that way out of the factory, the cost would likely be minimal with a big gain in safety. There are very few cars and trucks today that don't come with discs and they all come with seat belts. We are all safer for it.

I have the same truck as you and I've gone over every major pass in the southern rockies including La Veta, Wolf Creek, etc. I didn't touch the brakes one time coming down (except if I needed to adjust speed for slower traffic), I just use the exhaust brake and the tow mode for the transmission.

Where are you having the issue of brake fade?

BTW- I agree disks are better, but I haven't seen a situation where a drum wouldn't get the job done with proper technique.

mlpeloquin

I have the only talked to four people that have tankless water heaters. The response has been don't do it. Propane use and generally didn't care for it. Preferred there old tank heater.

As as far as disk breakers go, now that I have them I would not want to be with out them.