why no "frameless" windows?

jimtoo

Hi Cyclonerunner,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I cannot tell you why they don't offer the frameless windows, unless it's because of cost. Are they supposed to be better than regular windows or is it just more "modern" maybe. Maybe someone from the plant will jump in and give us an answer.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

NCskibum

Frameless windows do not cross breeze as well when open from what I was told at dealer. So look vs function could be the difference

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

When we bought our 4100 we looked at several different trailers. Some had the frameless windows. While they look nice I wasn't crazy about the cheap plastic mechanism that open and closed them. One trailer we saw at an RV show actually had one broken mechanism from people opening and closing it. With the sliding window in the frame I felt there was less chance of having issues with the windows. Paul

I actually have a 4200 on order that should hopefully be in my possession the first week of August. I ordered it with pretty much every option except full paint. I was just curious about the windows. I did order the dual pane windows also. I think the frameless look better from the exterior but I don't like their functionality or lack there of. Thank you for all your responses.

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
We do not offer the frameless windows mainly because offunctionality. Think of frameless windows as the difference ofwearing high heel shoes or tennis shoes while camping. The highheels may look more attractive, but after a while they becomeuncomfortable and after a while you will wish you had your good old tennisshoes. Frameless windows cut the air circulation down by 2/3 in mostcircumstances this can make a HUGE difference inside the unit on a nice day. When camping in a Cyclone we parked next to our friends RV whohas frameless windows. When inside each unit there was a significantdifference in the airflow that was going through each unit. Cyclone’shave very large windows that allow for great cross ventilation, which is a big benefiton nice days. Frameless windows also greatly increase your chances of awindow leak because you are eliminating one of the outer seals. Non frameless windows are also much easier torepair or find replacement glass if something were to happen while you are onthe road.

SeattleLion

We do not offer the frameless windows mainly because offunctionality. Think of frameless windows as the difference ofwearing high heel shoes or tennis shoes while camping. The highheels may look more attractive, but after a while they becomeuncomfortable and after a while you will wish you had your good old tennisshoes. Frameless windows cut the air circulation down by 2/3 in mostcircumstances this can make a HUGE difference inside the unit on a nice day. When camping in a Cyclone we parked next to our friends RV whohas frameless windows. When inside each unit there was a significantdifference in the airflow that was going through each unit. Cyclone’shave very large windows that allow for great cross ventilation, which is a big benefiton nice days. Frameless windows also greatly increase your chances of awindow leak because you are eliminating one of the outer seals. Non frameless windows are also much easier torepair or find replacement glass if something were to happen while you are onthe road.

Why then does my Bighorn come with frameless windows?

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
Every GM at Heartland has the choice to put in options and features that best suit their products. The Big Horn team must have felt the aesthetic value is a more important feature than the functionality of the windows. After using both styles of windows while camping, I can assure you that the Cyclone team will choose function before fashion every time.

pegmikef

Well now we know the bad things, but a couple of other points should be made. The frameless windows can usually remain open during moderate rain. With regard to airflow, I find that while the side to side cross flow is less, it is fine in the living room slide and bedroom. When the weather permits and the windows are open we find that we can achieve excellent airflow by manipulating the ceiling fan, fantastic fan and the Henge Vortex fan. DW likes them because they are easy for her to open and close, unlike some sliding windows we have had. We have had no problem at all with the openers and I don't think they are nearly as flimsy as that dealer purported. Besides I don't plan on throngs of people playing with mine. IMHO the frameless windows are in fact funtional and are more attractive.

jjriker

Well now we know the bad things, but a couple of other points should be made. The frameless windows can usually remain open during moderate rain. With regard to airflow, I find that while the side to side cross flow is less, it is fine in the living room slide and bedroom. When the weather permits and the windows are open we find that we can achieve excellent airflow by manipulating the ceiling fan, fantastic fan and the Henge Vortex fan. DW likes them because they are easy for her to open and close, unlike some sliding windows we have had. We have had no problem at all with the openers and I don't think they are nearly as flimsy as that dealer purported. Besides I don't plan on throngs of people playing with mine. IMHO the frameless windows are in fact funtional and are more attractive.

Yes, I agree, and especially like that we can leave all the windows open when it's raining.

Ladiver

No frameless windows were a big seller for us! I love the look of frameless, but I like the function of regular. Thanks AJ for keeping function as a priority.

Mizmary

We too, turned down another SOB camper when we were looking based solely on the functionality of the windows. The SOB had frameless windows that looked beautiful from the outside , but with the few that opened there was no chance we would ever get a cross breeze. One of the MAJOR requirements for us is that ALL windows open and open wide!

porthole

Retired
When camping in a Cyclone we parked next to our friends RV whohas frameless windows. When inside each unit there was a significant difference in the airflow that was going through each unit. Cyclone’s have very large windows that allow for great cross ventilation, which is a big benefiton nice days.

Well - it is a "Cyclone"

Don't have an opinion on functionality, but my dual pane framed windows are nearly impossible for Deb to open.