Frameless window piano hinge

1_oldgoat

Does anyone know where to find a roll of piano hinge material that is used on frameless windows? The reason I ask, my grandson kicked a rock up while running a weekeater and broke an exit window, I had a new piece of glass cut but can't find hinge material. Any help appreciated, lippert was no help

Attachments

• 20230912_134128.jpg
    20230912_134128.jpg
    541.4 KB · Views: 12

1_oldgoat

Tried that, they suggested lippert for a complete window, frame and all, when I checked on ordering one the shipping cost alone was 3 times the window itself, the glass i had cut is an exact match, tint is perfect and its tempered safty glass as well, I tried to remove the hinge material but whatever glue is used makes it impossible to get the rest of the broken glass removed and reuse it, its pretty easy to remove it and replacement of the window would be a simple project if the hinge materials were easier to locate!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

NYSUPstater

I 2nd above post as I know a friend of ours had a local glass place repair/replace a broken glass section on their BH. However, I don't know what exactly the shop did. Seems odd that you have to replace the whole kit-n-kabutal.

david-steph2018

Tried that, they suggested lippert for a complete window, frame and all, when I checked on ordering one the shipping cost alone was 3 times the window itself, the glass i had cut is an exact match, tint is perfect and its tempered safty glass as well, I tried to remove the hinge material but whatever glue is used makes it impossible to get the rest of the broken glass removed and reuse it, its pretty easy to remove it and replacement of the window would be a simple project if the hinge materials were easier to locate!

Could you try a heat gun to help?

1_oldgoat

Lippert does not sell replacement glass, whole windows only, frame and all, and I was okay with that until I found out how much shipping costs were, I called several glass companies here before I found one who could get me the glass for replacement, however nobody was willing to do the job, and I called alot of places, I even tried independent rv repair shops, none were willing to do glass only either for some reason which is why I am looking for hinge material to finish the job myself. I'll try the heat gun, that is a good idea, I was going to try crushing whats stuck on the hinge and turn it into powder, but heating first is worth a shot.

dougkirk

Does anyone know where to find a roll of piano hinge material that is used on frameless windows? The reason I ask, my grandson kicked a rock up while running a weekeater and broke an exit window, I had a new piece of glass cut but can't find hinge material. Any help appreciated, lippert was no help
called heartland and ordered my complete back window. Lippert was higher on window price than Heartland was for window and freight.

RoadJunkie

I think you made a good choice to replace the entire window. I don't think I would ever be confident that I found the proper glue to keep the window from dropping to the ground on a good bump. I also just replaced an entire rear window, to the tune of about $1K, including shipping and HL club discount.

1_oldgoat

I was quoted just over 4k for the complete window, frame and all, that is not installed either, just the window. Insane to me

2019_V22

A good and willing automotive glass might work, provided they can get all of the old glass off of the window hinge, but they also need to get the new glass bonded to the frame hinges. That might prove to be a struggle. There are a vast array of replacement windows outside of the monopolizing Lippert Industries.

Some of Lippert window sashes are reaplceable.
https://support.lci1.com/videos/3000-window-top-hinge-sash-vent-replacement

https://www.pellandent.com/Hehr-Frameless-RV-Window

https://www.recpro.com/rv-frameless-windows/

Replacement company..
https://www.wiservglass.com/frameless-windows

Last edited: