Wide Trax suspension Good? Bad? Indifferent?

SailorDon

2 months ago, I bought a new 2014 Wilderness 2175 RB. The suspension is Wide Trax.

The dealer said it gives a smoother ride. I guess my stuff in the travel trailer won't bounce so much compared to a standard double axle.

I noticed that when making sharp turns to park in campgrounds, etc., the axles/suspension make more clicking sounds than conventional dual axle trailers I have towed.
But I have never towed a travel trailer before, so I have no base line comparison.

Is there anyone out there that has towed both Wide Trax and conventional dual axle travel trailers?
Any noticeable improvement in handling while towing?

priorguy

I've had both but my standard axel was 25' long and the new one with Wide-Trax is 32' long. Supposed to reduce sway. The only sway I experience was unloaded toying it home to load up. After that it was smooth sailing even at 110kph (65 mph). TV was the same one for both. As for the clicking/popping sounds, they both had the creaks and pops. I'd be indifferent at this point in time as I haven't towed either for any great distance. In my experience and those I talk to, once the WD hitch is dialed in and you're loaded properly it's smooth sailing.

RuralPastor

Having pulled standard tandems for 10's of thousands of miles, and a wide-track for over 20,000 I can't really tell the difference in ride smoothness. I think there might be less sway though. The noise you hear during sharp turns comes from binding gear. The torqued and slide of the tires are exaggerated when turning with a Wide Trax. Apart from some bearing issues (unrelated to the discussion) I have no complaints about the design. My tires have held up well (Maxxis) and it still follows the Excursion down the highway! Mark.

pegmikef

My North Trail had it and I towed it for about 17K miles and never experienced swaying even in our beloved Texas cross winds. I did use an EazLift WD hitch. My North Trail was 31 feet long (ball cup to bumper). No problems at all (wish I could say that about the BlowMax tires).

I moved from a 30' Salem with standard axles to a 32' North Trail with Wide Trax. North trail tows better than the Salem did, but can't say if that is an attribute of the Wide Trax or because of the reduced height and weight.

Manzan

This is the third TT we have had over the last 24 years, all between 25' and the 26'6" of our 21fbs. This trailer pulls better and thanks to the design, gets better mileage. Don't know that it rides any smoother but less freeway bounce and I have been using the same hitch, a Reese Dual Cam Sway Control, for all the trailers on two different Suburbans. Have had this North Trail since March, 2011 and would not trade it for anything else.

SailorDon

Have had this North Trail since March, 2011 and would not trade it for anything else.
In the North Trail topic on this website, I posted the question of what is the difference between a NT 21 FBS and a Wilderness 2175 RB. It seems that they are the same trailer except for trim and exterior (and interior) height. The North Trail is about 1 foot lower. I suppose you could say my Wilderness 2175 RB is a "raised" NT 21 FBS, but without some of the upscale features.

Thank you Manzan for posting your info on Wide Trax suspension travel trailer handling. It appears to be a good thing.:)