Will the battery loose juice just sitting or do I have a drain?

firstone

New battery, old batter 6 months old and had bad cell. New one installed and charged. Used a light in the trailer for a little while but not long. Other than that it has just sat for about a week. Checked batter and it was at 11.95 V Do I have a drain problem or will it draw pawer just sitting?

Where doI look or how often do I have to recharge just sitting??

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Yes, you have parasitic drains on your battery. Radio, smoke alarm, and CO2. If you have a battery disconnect....use it. Batteries will lose voltage on there own if not keep on a trickle charger. Extreme heat and cold are the worst things for batteries.

firstone

I feel stupid now. Thanks lol I forgot all about those things.

Yes, you have parasitic drains on your battery. Radio, smoke alarm, and CO2. If you have a battery disconnect....use it. Batteries will lose voltage on there own if not keep on a trickle charger. Extreme heat and cold are the worst things for batteries.

mbopp

I prefer to dry camp and have gone on an "amp hunt" with the new trailer. The CO and smoke detectors are on their own batteries and the propane detector draws 100ma or .1A. I put a switch on the radio / DVD player so the draw is now zero when it's off. I also have a Blue Sea marine battery disconnect switch mounted on one of the battery boxes.