Windy at the beach-electric awning headache

dixsmith

:)We use our camper every month of the year at the Myrtle beach. The electric Carefree awning can only be used in windy locations by the most careful of campers. We have to use tie down straps to prevent the awning from trying to violently close against the camper, plus attach to the camp site shelter and tie down to the ground. I did visit another camper from Quebec who added support posts under the outer rollup tube and tie to the ground. Until we or others come up with a better design /suggestion-we only fully extend the awning during calm or very light winds. Any time we leave the camper to go shopping, we bring the awning back to no more than 3ft (and have the tie down straps in the scissor section)or totally bring "IN" if there is the slightest risk of a storm approaching.

Does anyone have a suggestion ?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Sorry to say, I have no suggestions to make your situation any better. We have a manual awning and even though I can stake it out, tie it down and add deflappers, When the wind gets serious, it takes 15 to 20 minutes to remove all the stuff I use so that I can roll it in.
At least with the power awning it's just the push of a button. I'm seriously considering changing over. If the wind were to take it away it would make that decision much easier.:eek::rolleyes:

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I agree with Ray. You are doing what most of the rest of us do.
RV awnings are not made to withstand more than light winds. Trace

pegmikef

:) Any time we leave the camper to go shopping, we bring the awning back to no more than 3ft (and have the tie down straps in the scissor section)or totally bring "IN" if there is the slightest risk of a storm approaching.

Does anyone have a suggestion ?

1) On tying the awning down. I found out the hard way that if the awning is tied down and it rains, the automatic dump feature does not work correctly (apparently the dip is achieved by raising one end of the awning)

2) It was recommended to me so I'll pass it on. The advice was anytime the awning will be unattended for more than a few minutes or when you are sleeping, it should be brought in. This was passed to me by a tech who had repaired/replaced many awnings.

Westwind

We have a 2012 Bighorn that has an electric awning, loved the idea when we bought it. We went from a 21' manual to a 18' electric. Over the past 9 years we would get to Florida, open the awning, put out the legs, and tie it down. At the end of the month I would close it and move to another campground. We really enjoyed the extra living space.
We the electric one it was up more than down because of wind, mine is tilt able so I can tild one side down to help with the rain but you really have to adapt to a different way of using the awning because they don't like wind or heavy rain.
We stayed in Myrtle Beach the first week of May this year in a site facing the ocean, it was neat getting up in the morning and looking out on the ocean but the awning never came down because of the wind.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We head down to the beach in SC every September for 1-2 weeks and always tie down our awnings. The only time we had a problem was when a tropical storm came thru one time and everything came in including the slides. Not sure I want to do that again.
Edisto Beach 9-'11.jpg

Gaffer

The Dometic rep at the national in Gillette sais the electric awning was tested to 50 mph. Ours jumps all over the place with gusts around 20. I don't leave it out when it starts moving all over the place or when we are away.

danemayer

The Dometic rep at the national in Gillette sais the electric awning was tested to 50 mph. Ours jumps all over the place with gusts around 20. I don't leave it out when it starts moving all over the place or when we are away.

When I was a kid, my mother would sometimes drag me along when shopping. She'd get some cosmetic and tell me that she always got the one marked "dermatologist tested." Then I'd ask her what the results were. :p Makes you wonder how that 50 mph test worked out.

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
I'm afraid there is nothing else you can do but bring it in when it is windy and never leave it out unattended. Awnings are made for shade on a nice sunny, calm day.

RollingHome

We do a fair amount of oceanside camping too... There is a reason the Wright brothers chose to test their flying machine near the ocean - WIND ! We have seen several awnings fold over trailers, ripped up or destroyed when folks try to prove the wind gods wrong. We bring our awning in when it gets too noisy. We never leave to go shopping (even for the infamous 5 min trip) without first bringing in the awning. We never go to bed with it out OR the wind gods let us know they never sleep and neither will we IF our awning is out. We have an electric awning now and we love it. I just wish it had a wind sensor on it. When I get time I may investigate if a wind sensor can be installed after the fact on our Dometic awning. The wind sensor installation is the only suggestion I can make at this time. Maybe you could check out the wind sensor route and enlighten us all... Good Luck and happy RVing.

dixsmith

Thanks for your input. For now, I plan to move a little farther away from the beach. The caution you have is the best approach. Yes-the wind gods are smarter than me. We lost a manual awning many years ago in the NC mountains due to a sudden thunderstorm, and we were
at the camper and could not get it down before the down draft hit. All said RV camping still beats the hotel any day.

rockerdude

We've had manual awning on all of our previous 5th wheel's and loved them, because you could use the clamps on each side and attach to the metal frame. We would also put on side down, just in case it rained, which is what you should do so the rain will drain off. What made our campsite look great, was putting our lights out on the awning, which we really enjoyed doing everywhere we camped. Now with the electric awning my BC has, I have to put it in every night because it can't even handle a little wind or gusts. It is very handy just pushing a button to extend or retract but I personally would take the manual awning anytime over the electric, but that's just my opinion.
However, what I had heard 17 years ago when we first started RVing and always followed, was NEVER LEAVE YOUR AWNING OUT when you leave for any trip. You never know if the wind is going to pick up while you're gone and the wind can cause A LOT of damage, not only to the awning, but it can also destroy the side of your RV. I remember back in the mid 90's while staying at the KOA at West Yellowstone, MT we went away for the day to visit the park, and when we came back we saw several RV's where their awnings were blowing all over. Several were stretched to the point that they would have to be replaced. Also, I worked at a Nuclear Plant on the CA coast and everyday going to work, I'd pass people that had left their awnings out while playing on the beach and the same thing, awnings just blowing in the wind. I never could understand how people could do that but I think once you have that happen to you and you have to replace it, it probably won't happen again.

Westwind

For the last 9 years I have camped for the month of March with a group of seasoned campers who spend 3 -4 months in their FW's in Florida. They always put out their awnings and staked them and left them up for the month. The last two years they upgraded their FW and have electric awnings. This past year they had them out and got hit with a storm and 4 of them lost their awnings. These folks have been camping for almost 20 years each some more than that.
Electric operated awnings are a different beast from the manual operated ones and have to be treated differently. Most RV manufacturer reps don't camp so how do they know what an awning can withstand in wind?

RCF

Hmmm, my current (barely) SOB TT has a Dometic electric awning that has arms that look more similar to the manual awnings than what I have seen in pic's here, and it has been very durable in some pretty good winds. And it could be staked/tied down, etc.

Reading this I'm preparing myself to be somewhat disappointed with the awning on my soon-to-be-picked-up Big Horn . . .:(

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hmmm, my current (barely) SOB TT has a Dometic electric awning that has arms that look more similar to the manual awnings than what I have seen in pic's here, and it has been very durable in some pretty good winds. And it could be staked/tied down, etc.

Reading this I'm preparing myself to be somewhat disappointed with the awning on my soon-to-be-picked-up Big Horn . . .:(

I had the older manual "stakeable" legs on several SOB awnings..
I still hardly ever staked it, and left it unattended, because a stong wind could still take it out.
We frequent areas with wind.

I like the overall convenience of the electric awning on my BH better. Trace