Winegard Traveler install on Big Country

farside291

I am thinking about installing a Traveler Satellite dish on top of the Big Country. I took off the cover in the front bath ceiling expecting to see the coax coiled in there but there was nothing. Is this where the coax is supposed to be? Also, on the roof, how do you access the coax and run the control wire from the dish to the wires that are supposed to be in the ceiling for the bedroom and living room. I would like to install it myself but not if the wires are not already installed.

Thanks in advance.
Bill

Also, the only thing I could see under the cover plate was a hole in the foam insulation. I probed my finger in the hole but saw nothing. If the wiring is up there and I just didn't see it, where does it go to. The front living or closet. And how do you know where to mount it on the roof, do you mount the antenna above the hole covered by the ceiling plate? Sorry for all the questions, I want to be sure before I spend the dollars on the dish.

Noofear

The wires should be in that access panel you may have to fish a little bit to try to get them I don't know if you can get your phone up in that area to see where they're at but we had the same problem.

If you contact Heartland they can send you a diagram of where to drill. In my Bighorn we drilled through the access plate up into the roof and that's where the wires went through. It was very easy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

wdk450

Bill:
I would suggest you call Heartland Customer Service 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030
and have your VIN number available for them. They should be able to tell you where the wiring is hidden.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Bill do you have the 4 coax hookups in you docking station ?
I know on my Landmark was satellite prepped.
The wires are more then likely up there if you have the connections in the docking station and the blank cover in the middle of your bedroom ceiling.
I'll find the link to my install and post it on here for you.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?p=493652
Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

farside291

Thanks all. I fished around with my finger. The hole is only about 2 inches so no camera phone. Also the foam only has a 2 inch hole also. Would the antenna mount above this hole?

- - - Updated - - -

Jerrod, you poked the hole at the cover plate inside the bed/bath area? Also where do the wires go in the ceiling, to the front or living area. And do I have to diconnect or connect them to anything?

Noofear

No the antenna doesn't go directly above it sets back a little bit that's why you really should call Heartland and get a diagram of where to actually install the dish. Jerrods install may be able to tell you right away but we're talking about a BC, BH, and LM. The diagram will show you where the roof is reinforced with a backer plate.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Also look at post #1165 & #1169
If you or DW has a small compact mirror to stick in there. I wouldn't drill any holes tell you find the wires.
I had a ton of wires wound up in there and it was pretty tuff to get them out of the hole.

This is what mine looked like from inside
581df65e580d2bfe85d36c622e3aeecd.jpg

farside291

Definitely no wires visable. I will remove some of the foam maybe they are off to the side. I'll stick a coat hanger in there and fish around.

mlpeloquin

When I purchased my Big Horn, the roof was marked where the antenna would go. The markings washed away with the first roof cleaning. You must mount this only where the roof support is. I put one on a class C I had and it is heavy.

farside291

Once I get all the questions figured out its not that hard. But I am not going to buy anything until I figure out all the questions. Sometimes just "winging it" is fun but not for this kind of money.
I do want to say thanks to everyone.

farside291

I get that the wires in the ceiling go to the dish. The other end, where do the wires go? I am assuming the coax go to the UDC where I will jumper them to living and bedroom. Where does the 12 volt wire go?

Noofear

If you're talking about the wire that looks like a telephone plug usually located in the closet next to the OTA booster, that's going to go into your Winegard auto alignment equipment. Hope this helps

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

If you don't have that dish control wire harness hanging down somewhere in the bedroom I think your out of luck

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Following this thread, we eventually want to do the same thing in our BC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

This is the control harness you'll need. It should run from the roof to the bedroom closet or cabinet next to your coax jacks
23add78c18f8b7f7adc98e636eb5e84f.jpg

farside291

Is it in behind the booster or out in the open. If it's out in the open I am hosed. I've worked in that area putting wall anchors on both boxes and saw no wire. I will look again now that I know what I am looking for. If it's there then the coax should be up in the ceiling ...somewhere.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Yes
I have read were some have the coax but no control harness which makes no sense to me.
You can't use one without the other !!!!