Winegard Trav'ler Questions for '14 BC 3650RL

jdamude

We just purchased a new 3650 rl. I want to install a wingard satellite dish on the roof. I'm reading that the trailer is pre wired for satellite. Is there power wires in the ceiling along with the coax to power the dish?

Thanks
Jeff

jbeletti

Re: 2014 3650rl satellite installation

We just purchased a new 3650 rl. I want to install a wingard satellite dish on the roof. I'm reading that the trailer is pre wired for satellite. Is there power wires in the ceiling along with the coax to power the dish?

Thanks
Jeff

I believe all Heartland 5th wheels are pre-wired for a Winegard Trav'ler roof mounted dish. For this product, there are three items that require power:
- The LNBs
- The Dish Motors
- The Dish Controller

The LNBs get their power from an AC source power supply that ships with the dish and is installed inline with the coax that comes down from the dish.

The Dish Controller gets its power from a supplied AC source power supply.

The Dish Motors get their power and telemetry data from a power/data cable that is prewired to the roof area and then back into the coach - usually to the bedroom closet. Look for a cable with a funky connector on the end of it in the closet.

See attached picture I grabbed from the Winegard manual and added some note to in red.

Does this help? If not, keep asking questions - we're getting close :)

Winegard Trav'lr Typical Install.jpg

bwc1950

Re: 2014 3650rl satellite installation

Jim,
While I hope your comment about all HL 5th wheels being wired for the Wingard Travl'r, I have read other posts on this site saying that the coax is in the ceiling but not the data cable. When you get a minute, could you confirm that two coax cables and one data cable are in the ceiling of the roof satellite prep.

I'm looking at the Big Country 3251TS and that is definitely a positive feature for me.

Bruce

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Unless something has changed after May, the BC's are prewired for rooftop satellite but not the winegard. What this means is that there are two coax in roof just above a dummy plate on ceiling if bedroom. The power/controler cable is not run like on the bighorns and landmarks. When I had mine installed by camping world in Katy they had to install the power cable but was happy everything else was ran so he did not have to run rest of cables. He did makeup the small jumpers though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Jassson007, where did they come through your roof with the power cable and where did it terminate inside?

I had mine run into the front closet through the cabinet and it sits on shelf/dresser on off door side of dresser. The controller, power inserter and signal splitter is all installed there and coax for front and rear tv's exit through same hole back up to roof to tie in with coax that is already ran. If I would have thought about it a little longer I might have had them do it differently but that is what was suggested so I went with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Thanks for the update Bryan.

Jeff - I believe when you order the Trav'ler kit, a 30 foot power/control cable is included. So in your case, that cable will be needed and will have to be run to wherever you want to mount the dish controller (interface box). A roof penetration will be required.

bwc1950

Bryan, thank you for the update. Given that any automatic rooftop dish or dome requires power to make the dish point, wouldn't it be a great next step to run the power/data cable along with the two coax cables during the factory build. Without the power/data cable option, buyers need to drill another hole in the roof and fish the cable into the unit. Since all of your Televisions are HD, continuing the Winegard prep on all units prewired with coax would continue to put HL one step above the rest. On the Big Country, am I able to order the Winegard rooftop prep?

Thank you for following the threads.
Bruce

jdamude

Thanks Jim. Is there a provision in the ceiling to run cable? I thought it was filled with styrofoam? The domed satellite systems requires a twelve volt power source. Any recommendations?

thanks
jeff

jbeletti

Thanks Jim. Is there a provision in the ceiling to run cable? I thought it was filled with styrofoam? The domed satellite systems requires a twelve volt power source. Any recommendations?

thanks
jeff

No provision. If you want your controller (interface box) in the bedroom closet, it's best to drill straight down through the roof into the bedroom closet area. They can easily fasten the cable to the roof. Where the cable enters the roof, Winegard usually ships a plate that will cover the the hole. I use a lot of sealant in the hole after running a wire through, then sealant before the plate goes on, then more sealant all over the seams of where the plate mates with the roof. It can be done simply and leak-free.

jbeletti

Bryan, thank you for the update. Given that any automatic rooftop dish or dome requires power to make the dish point, wouldn't it be a great next step to run the power/data cable along with the two coax cables during the factory build. Without the power/data cable option, buyers need to drill another hole in the roof and fish the cable into the unit. Since all of your Televisions are HD, continuing the Winegard prep on all units prewired with coax would continue to put HL one step above the rest. On the Big Country, am I able to order the Winegard rooftop prep?

Thank you for following the threads.
Bruce

Bruce,

Not sure if Bryan is tracking this thread as I had sent him an email asking him to respond. But in case he doesn't see this, let me add that your suggestion is one Heartland has considered and may yet do one day. Trouble is that as we try to be as price conscious as possible, we don't want to add cost to 100% of the units when only 10% of the buyers will take advantage of the added item. Also, there are other brands of roof-top dishes that use their own data cable that is different than Winegard's. Finally, some people still use a crank-up dish that does not require a data cable at all. An agenda I pushed a few years ago that never got any traction was the addition of an empty flexible conduit that allowed customers and installers to pull whatever they need to the roof. Maybe one day :) Thank you for being a new Big Country owners and thank you for your feedback.

jdamude

Can the cable be run in the A/C duct up into the closet area? I like things to be very neat and concealed. I have to say that this news is a little disappointing. The wingard dome dish only needs a twelve volt source as the controller is inside the dome. Does the A/C dust run all the way forward? Can you send me a pictorial of the roof assembly and front closet area?

Thanks for following the forum

Jeff

Theresau

Ours is run through the outlet above the TV. We put the box in the linen closet next to the dresser (sits with the Genie client on top). Works very well.

Once the dish is set and all is working well, I turn off the power (by unplugging - turning off via the power button would bring dish back down) - box releases heat.

Had this also happen when power tripped....

jbeletti

Can the cable be run in the A/C duct up into the closet area? I like things to be very neat and concealed. I have to say that this news is a little disappointing. The wingard dome dish only needs a twelve volt source as the controller is inside the dome. Does the A/C dust run all the way forward? Can you send me a pictorial of the roof assembly and front closet area?

Thanks for following the forum

Jeff

Jeff,

If you want HD service from DirecTV for your HD TVs, you cannot get that from the "dome dish". If you are going with Dish Network, you "can" get HD service from the "dome dish".

The AC duct work extends some distance past the forward most grille, but I'm not sure how much further. I cannot get you a roof drawing - sorry. You can take your grille off to see if it extends as far as the closet. Even if it's close, you can like push through the last few inches of solid foam.

jdamude

Ok thanks. We take delivery of our new 3650RL this week. I wish we had Direct Tv however we are Canadian and we are restricted from purchasing the programming. We have set ourselves up with Bell Expressvu and the Dish network pay as you go system. Having the wingard traveller would allow us to switch between the two providers from the controller. The dome setup would require changing the dip switches from the dish. My 3650 has duel A/C units and I'm concerned about the footprint the traveller takes. Is there a specified location to mount these units?

jbeletti

Heartland does not have a specific location for where to mount the dish, but the Winegard install manual shows the footprint the dish requires on the roof.

I also have 2 ACs. My Trav'ler is mounted in the center of the roof (side to side) and to the rear of the bedroom AC unit. I do make sure my over-the-air RV antenna is cranked down when then satellite dish is being deployed or stowed.

jdamude

Great. Is your cable routed across the roof to your closet? Do you have your cable and power cable entering the roof in different locations?

jbeletti

Jeff,

I have a Landmark - so the wires were all pre-wired in the roof. They do however, route within the roof system, to the front cap area and then into the side of a cabinet in the closet. That's where my interface box and bedroom receiver are.

That said, the location of the dish versus where the wires come out of the roof are not in the same spot. Probably a few feet away is all.

jdamude

Ok thanks. That's about all I can ask until I get the unit home. With some luck, all the wires will be in the ceiling.

Thanks for the help and information.

Also, we are now proud full members of the Heartland Owners Club.

Jeff