Winegard Wingman Upgrade

kuhn_tech

Hey there,
First post here.
I work for a reputable trailer parts store in Utah. I sell the Winegard Wingman upgrade, and my question is with this upgrade, would one need to also have a converter box for it to work on an older television?

Thanks,
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Kuhn_tech and welcome to the forum.
Be aware that commercial solicitation is not allowed on this forum.
Please read the Forum Mission Statement.
To answer your question, yes you will need a converter for use with an older TV.

Peace
Dave

rick_debbie_gallant

Any old school tv (ie analog) will need an upgrade box. Need to convert the digital signal to something the analog receiver can understand .

Think of it this way: It would Kind of be :cool:like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Digital can do analog (digital is a round peg and will fit into a square hole analog, with zero problemo's) Analog (think a square peg) will not fit into a round hole with out converting it to a digital (round hole first) Does that help.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Back when the big analog to digital conversion took place, one could submit documentation to get a free (or was it just a rebate) converter for their old TV's. None of ours were CRT's at the time, so it didn't matter.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Dave, also be aware that the Winegard Wingman won't work with the Antenna Tek units that are installed on most Heartland trailers. In addition, I've seen test results that show the Wingman doesn't significantly improve the digital signal. Most owners have been upgrading to the Jack antenna which includes a digital signal strength meter.

Last edited:

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
I installed a Jack antenna and it works a lot better than expected. very happy with it as we do boondock a lot, wherever there is a signal it comes in quite nicely

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The Wingman accessory that attaches to an older Sensar head will not work with the AntennaTec, but you can easily replace the entire AntennaTec head with a Sensar IV that has the Wingman on it. But, I can't say that it dramatically improves anything. Might junk it and try the Jack antenna sometime in the not too distant future. Or just stick to renting videos.