Wingard Satellite Dish

Pokiejoe

Good morning,
Here's a question for all you TV people....I'm about to pull what hair I have left out. We have a Wengard dish and last time I used it it was working fine but now I no signal for some reason. Put it back in the other camper, hooked up as before and still no signal. Get great local channels, have also put a new receiver in and have gone direct to TV via the receiver and still nothing. Yes, we have a clear view of the southern and SW sky, only 2 trees on 4,000 acres so it has an unobstructed view. I can hear it searching but still says no signal. We've had the dish about 5 years, could it be defective already?

Thanks,
Don Smith/Pokiejoe

Last edited by a moderator:

Relayman

Re: Wengard Satelitte Dish

is the receiver the same type
as you had before ? some receivers will not work with a winegard dish. I would check with winegard.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

richheck

Seasoned Member

Don:

1: Model number of Winegard dish ?

2: Dish Network or Direct TV ?

3: Portable or roof mounted ?

4: Model numbers on receivers ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LBR

Have you contacted your provider and had them ping your receiver yet? They may be able to tell from their end what the problem is. If you hadn't used it for an extended time, they may need to reset your receiver.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

billk263

California-South Chapter Leaders

Did you install the coax jumper in the Utility compartment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou_and_Bette

If you have Dish for your satellite provider and you haven't had your device on for a period of time, you may have "missed" some sort of update. The period of inactivity can be relatively short and miss one of these so called updates. The solution is to call Dish, tell them about the inactivity and they can reflash your unit. Have you tried rebooting the unit yourself? You unplug the receiver for a count of ten and plug it back in. With the newer antennas you can reboot them also by disconnecting the cable for the count of ten and reconnect it. I have had to do all three at different times. Good luck

Pokiejoe

Winegard model number is GM-1518
Dish is who we use
Receiver model is VIP 211Z and this is a new one Dish just sent, have had just a couple days
Dish is portable

LBR - Yes we have contacted Dish and they did ping the receiver

Bill K 263 - Our RV is a 2014 Landmark, it has 4 outlets, 1. Front roof, 2. Bedroom TV 3. Living room tv 4. Rear roof for mounting dish on top. This coach also has an outside tv. I do not know which jumper you are referring to, which one would you hook the jumper to?

Lou and Betty - We have contacted Dish several times in the past few days and just talked to them again and yes, we have rebooted everything. Dish has finally told us to contact their outdoor department. They seem to never be open when we are working on it. Will contact them tomorrow.

Thank you all and we are still looking for ideas. And for some reason I can answer you on your post so just doing it all here. Thanks again..

Don Smith/Pokiejoe

dbbls59

Are you turning on the receiver before powering up the wingard? Don't power up the antenna until the receiver starts searching for satellites.

richheck

Seasoned Member

Winegard model number is GM-1518
Dish is who we use
Receiver model is VIP 211Z and this is a new one Dish just sent, have had just a couple days
Dish is portable

LBR - Yes we have contacted Dish and they did ping the receiver

Bill K 263 - Our RV is a 2014 Landmark, it has 4 outlets, 1. Front roof, 2. Bedroom TV 3. Living room tv 4. Rear roof for mounting dish on top. This coach also has an outside tv. I do not know which jumper you are referring to, which one would you hook the jumper to?

Lou and Betty - We have contacted Dish several times in the past few days and just talked to them again and yes, we have rebooted everything. Dish has finally told us to contact their outdoor department. They seem to never be open when we are working on it. Will contact them tomorrow.

Thank you all and we are still looking for ideas. And for some reason I can answer you on your post so just doing it all here. Thanks again..

Don Smith/Pokiejoe

Don, it's been awhile since I have played with the 211 units, I had the 211k and back then you needed to connect the receiver to a full sized conventional dish to allow the 211 to update itself to allow it to activate the portable dish ( first connection only, after the update all was OK). Hopefully you have access to a full sized dish either hard mount or a Winegard Traveler SK1000 to get the necessary update..

Again that was last year, not sure what has taken place between then and now. I upgraded to two Wally's and had issues with them when they were first released.

Good luck

billk263

To get the feed to the living room, I believe you must place a jumper from the "roof coil" to the living room feed.
cd21335e09a7b7e825c2aed036f995e4.jpg
15fb1d816fea2c67990bb199646fb0b4.jpg

richheck

Seasoned Member
To get the feed to the living room, I believe you must place a jumper from the "roof coil" to the living room feed.
cd21335e09a7b7e825c2aed036f995e4.jpg
15fb1d816fea2c67990bb199646fb0b4.jpg

Bill, he says he's using a GM-1518 portable dome. He will need to connect the portable directly to the UDC terminal to each receiver. No need to make jumpers being no antenna mounted on the roof.

billk263

Bill, he says he's using a GM-1518 portable dome. He will need to connect the portable directly to the UDC terminal to each receiver. No need to make jumpers being no antenna mounted on the roof.

Oops. My bad. I guess I got a little happy that I might be of some use to someone
Correction; the jumper would be for use with a rooftop dish.
My apologies.

Pokiejoe

Billk 262 - We have a Winegard portable dish, not on roof. Right now I have it going into #3 which is satellite feed into living room. I am a bit confused where Satellite feed from roof coil or #2 (LNB 1 ) goes since we do not have it mounted on roof. So how do I hook up the satellite feed to the living room?
I really appreciate your help, this is driving us nuts!!

Don

- - - Updated - - -

Bill, I appreciate every bit of the help you are giving. All of it is better than I had.

Thanks

richheck

Seasoned Member
LNB 1 is feed from roof to potentially be jumped to bedroom receiver if roof antenna was installed. You are correct in using input #3 ( living room input)'from your portable antenna.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LBR

Don't be surprised if you have to connect to a different coax fitting than specified...check them all.

Referring to post #10 picture where Bill's middle finger is touching the second from left....That coax feeds my living room satellite where I have to hook the Dish Tailgater...Wired wrong as it is suppose to be one of two roof infeeds.

richheck

Seasoned Member
Don

What results do you get if you run a cable directly from the dish to the 211z eliminating the wiring in the coach?

Lou_and_Bette

Don, I suddenly started having problems with my system last year sort of like you are now. Kept getting run around from both Winegard and Dish until, finally after numerous calls to both tech departments, had a young lady from Winegard mention Dish had recently changed their signal format and my 3 year old Carryout antenna would no longer work and no upgrade available. Went with King Tailgater and all is good again. Doubt if I will ever buy another Winegard product. So, how old is your Winegard?

CDN

B and B
To rule out dish/ receiver problems/ coax problems run the cable right to the receiver. If this doesnt work have a good look at the centre copper conductor on both ends of the coax. Process of elimination.

On the Wineguard dish, if it's the one I'm thinking of, it's set up for 2 receivers. If you're only hooking up one receiver, make sure your hooked to the "main" spot on the dish, and the little chrome cap must be attached to the other spot. I've found that if that cap is missing when only running one receiver, the dish won't function properly.

porthole

Retired
My Travel'r is for DirecTV.

The Winegard antenna, at least for DirecTV does not need anything but power to work. The unit itself is a SAT receiver. As long as you have power for the antenna motor and power through the COAX (with the power inserter), the dish will search and lock onto satellites without anything else hooked up.

So, if the antenna is searching but not locking, perhaps the coax is not supplying power. The DirecTV needs 21 volts through the coax to work.