Winterizing

Donna1098

Key Largo 2013
We live in Texas, south of Fort Worth. Hubby is winterizing and he said the instructions say to take dryer out to access washing machine hoses. Surly there is another way! I don't like the idea of having to take dryer off the top of washer. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on your brand there should be wintering instructions in the owners manual.
You should not have to remove the dryer. I didn't.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Hi Donna1098,

You don't have to access the washing machine hoses to winterize.

We have an owner-written Winterization Guide that includes instructions on winterizing the washing machine. It covers using either antifreeze or compressed air.

If you have a residential refrigerator, take a look at the winterizing instructions in the Residential Refrigerator Guide.

rjr6150

Key Largo 2013
We live in Texas, south of Fort Worth. Hubby is winterizing and he said the instructions say to take dryer out to access washing machine hoses. Surly there is another way! I don't like the idea of having to take dryer off the top of washer. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Donna
You should be able to access the hoses by opening your right side closet door as you face the closet. On our KL there is plenty of space behind the combo to reach in and do your job

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you're running antifreeze to winterize, you need to operate the washer while pumping the AF in. No need to disconnect the hoses. I don't believe you can winterize it with compressed air.

Donna1098

Don't think there is an access to the area behind the washer in the closet. Hubby installed some shelving in that area and would have seen it, unless you can remove the wall partition?

danemayer

If you're running antifreeze to winterize, you need to operate the washer while pumping the AF in. No need to disconnect the hoses. I don't believe you can winterize it with compressed air.

I've been using compressed air for 5 years, but with the washer, after using the compressed air, I also use some antifreeze in the drum to protect the drum and pump and to get antifreeze into the drain p-trap.

farside291

I just winterized my all in one washer week before last. Instructions said to hook 25 psi air to the input water connection to the trailer. Run washer on permanent press hot for a couple of minutes then run it on permanent press cold for a couple minutes. That gets all the water out of the lines. Then put antifreeze in the drum until the holes are covered and run the drain and spin cycle. That's it, easy. Didn't have to disconnect anything. Oh yea, I did open the pump filter door on the bottom of the washer and drain that before starting. That got a lot of the water out initially.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Interesting. The instructions for my Splendide 2100XC make no mention of winterizing with air pressure. Regardless, since it sits in storage over the winter and we do get sustained subfreezing days/weeks, I'll stick with pumping AF through the entire system.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
My Whirlpool washer stops and gives an error code for "no water" if I try to use compressed air. Takes about a gallon and a half of antifreeze to run it through partial wash and drain twice. Gives me peace of mind that valves inside washer and the drain pump are thoroughly winterized.