Wiper Seal

yepuhuh

I've been battling a leak issue and have done everything I can think of to stop this annoying leak.

Today I was cleaning teh BH and found what may be a problem. My BH is a 2011 and I hope warranty covers this because they had already replaced the living slide out wiper seals because they leaked.(Frig side) Now this in on the door side.

I've got a call into the dealer and I am sure they are going to tell me tough and it will cost me money.

With the small annoyances with this BH the quality sure is lacking.

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
It's good you have your dealer in the loop. But, I would call HL service yourself and talk with them. Have your VIN# handy and be calm.

yepuhuh

Of course I am out of the 1 year warranty and the cost of this stuff is outragous. * bucks a linear foot.

The delaer gave me an estimate of 428.00 to replace 13 feet of slide seal material. I wish I made that much money for an hours worth of real work.

Oh and the dealer does not have the material and will need to order it.
\
What is funny is the service person I talked to at HL said these wiper seals are always being replaced and normally last 2-3 years. Sounds like the rubber they are made of is inferior and should be replace with neophrene.

jnbhobe

As long as your out of warrenty, call Heartland parts with your vin# and club# (10% discount) and install the seals yourself, it'll only take an hour.

danemayer

What is funny is the service person I talked to at HL said these wiper seals are always being replaced and normally last 2-3 years.
When a particular part is "always being replaced", it's usually something dealers stock. If they have to order the parts, maybe not so much.

I don't know how long these seals actually last, but another indicator is that there's not a lot of mention of seals on this forum. If they were being replaced all the time, I think we'd have quite a few threads on the subject.

Perhaps the person at Heartland didn't understand what you were asking, or had some bad info.

cashb

I am curious too.. which seals were leaking? We are having an issue with the bedroom slide, and suspect it has to do with the seal. It has been hard to pin down for sure! Thanks, maybe your info can help others?

olybldr55

All, I also have water leaking at my large slide (both corners). Had the rig into the dealer for warranty work on the slide for leaking and pulling of the rim metal on one side. We were out for a week over the 4th of July and got two days of rain. Soaked the carpet and 3 large beach towels. Anyway, called the dealer and it is now out of warranty by 6 months from when it was repaired under warranty. My rig is stored inside when not in use so the only time it's outside is on a camping tripand we have rain. Dealer says Hartland may warranty but no guarantee. I see nothing wrong with the seals. The earlier warranty repair is add some hardware to control the gasket sealing. Any suggestions on how to get the covered under warranty by the factory? Thanks from Olybldr 55

danemayer

All, I also have water leaking at my large slide (both corners). Had the rig into the dealer for warranty work on the slide for leaking and pulling of the rim metal on one side. We were out for a week over the 4th of July and got two days of rain. Soaked the carpet and 3 large beach towels. Anyway, called the dealer and it is now out of warranty by 6 months from when it was repaired under warranty. My rig is stored inside when not in use so the only time it's outside is on a camping tripand we have rain. Dealer says Hartland may warranty but no guarantee. I see nothing wrong with the seals. The earlier warranty repair is add some hardware to control the gasket sealing. Any suggestions on how to get the covered under warranty by the factory? Thanks from Olybldr 55

Suppose you had been out of warranty last time this arose and you paid out of your pocket to have the leak fixed. Wouldn't you now be asking the dealer to stand behind their work? Maybe you should start by asking the dealer why after they "fixed" it, it's still leaking, and what they're going to do about it.

Maybe Heartland will pay a 2nd time for the same problem. But maybe the dealer just needs to be asked to take responsibility for their work.

And another thought. If they couldn't fix it correctly the first time, and won't stand behind their work, do you think they'll fix it right the 2nd time?

yepuhuh

yepuhuh

When a particular part is "always being replaced", it's usually something dealers stock. If they have to order the parts, maybe not so much.

I don't know how long these seals actually last, but another indicator is that there's not a lot of mention of seals on this forum. If they were being replaced all the time, I think we'd have quite a few threads on the subject.

Perhaps the person at Heartland didn't understand what you were asking, or had some bad info.

It was the parts guy at HL that said they keep this in stock and sell a lot not the warranty person.

yepuhuh

Which seal is it? Is it on the slide or on the body?

The D channel seal on the top of the slide outside that presses up against the slide when the slide is retracted. The actually wiper seal looks just fine. I was first told that these are one seal that fits in the channel but now I undersand the d channel is separate from the wiper seal.

yepuhuh

I am curious too.. which seals were leaking? We are having an issue with the bedroom slide, and suspect it has to do with the seal. It has been hard to pin down for sure! Thanks, maybe your info can help others?

I read that the bedroom leaks typically are caused by water tracking down the cables to get inside the unit. Check to see where the cables going into the camper has a square patch at the wiper seal. If that square patch is missing or is at the opposite end I have read the water can track down the cable and get inside. I checked mine and found out the square patches were not where they should be on the front cables but fine of the rear cables. Also was told to wax those cables so they don't wick(runn down the cable)

cashb

Thanks, have not heard about the "square patch".. I am assuming the cables are under the bed?

yepuhuh

Thanks, have not heard about the "square patch".. I am assuming the cables are under the bed?

If I could figure how to put a picture on here I'd show ya. The bedroom slide on my BH has cables that you can see when the bedroom slide is out. That is where the square patches are that I am talking about.

I have two that came loose that I am going to put back in place.

cashb

Oh, maybe a difference in models. Ours is a Sundance. I don't think cables are visible in ours. Thanks for the info tho, hope your issue is not too difficult to solve.

yepuhuh

I've been battling a leak issue and have done everything I can think of to stop this annoying leak.

Today I was cleaning teh BH and found what may be a problem. My BH is a 2011 and I hope warranty covers this because they had already replaced the living slide out wiper seals because they leaked.(Frig side) Now this in on the door side.

I've got a call into the dealer and I am sure they are going to tell me tough and it will cost me money.

With the small annoyances with this BH the quality sure is lacking.

Problem solved.
I ordered new d channel from a Dyers RV parts company and fixed it myself.

it took me a day to research on the internet.....LOL
Actually a lot less time. It took me 15 minutes to take the old d channel off and put on the new one. I was under the impression that the wiper seal and d channel were one unit but it was not!

The dealer was going to charge 428.00 Good Grief. How many people are they going to rip off before folks get smart.

I bought bulk material figuring I would need some down the road on maybe another part of the BH.
72383AP Products 1" x 15/16" x 35' Premium EK D Slide-Out Seal
Premium Product. 79.98 for 35 feet.

Did not need the wiper seal it is good shape. Didn't need to recaulk anything.
Did not need to charge hazordous waste fee
did not need to charge for shop supplies....etc.

They also have the d channel that goes around the baggage doors as well. It comes in 50 foot lengths. 43.99

72380AP Products 3/4" x 1/2" x 50' Rubber D Seal with Tape

Hope this helps and if you are near jacksonville florida and need help like this let me know.